Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you believe in freedom of speech? Religion? Are all rights created equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you believe in freedom of speech? Religion? Are all rights created equal?

The first 10 amendments to our constitution defined 10 freedoms that our forefathers deemed are not to be interfered with.

Do you believe that all 10n are equally important?

If so, why?
    If not why not?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I think that this one stands on its own. No state religion, think Church of England. One is free to practice their faith or even not to believe and not practice any faith. This amendment allows for any religion to flourish in our country. That's a good thing. Freedom of speech speaks for itself. We should be free, within reason, to speak our minds as long as it remains civil. The right to peaceably assemble stands on its own, needs no further explanation.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I think what causes the most problems with the 2nd is the first 4 words, A Well Regulated Militia. The anti gunners use these 4 words a lot when they are espousing their anti gun agenda. If the amendment only stated: the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, there would be absolutely nothing for the anti gunners to stand on. Those last 14 words clearly state our right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed. End of discussion.

Amendment III

No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

This one stands on its own and needs no further explanation.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

This amendment too stands on its own. Unfortunately it has been weakened over time by the passage of such laws like the Patriot Act. These new laws have been used to weaken the intent of this amendment.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Once again this amendment is self explanatory. It too, has been weakened over time. Take the last part: or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. A good example of property being taken without compensation just or otherwise are some of the drug laws. A friend asks if they can borrow your car. You trust them so you loan out your vehicle. That person uses your car to work a drug deal. They get caught and under the drug forfeiture laws in some states your vehicle can be taken and no compensation is forthcoming. I personally know someone this happened to. They are still trying to get their car back. They had no idea their friend was going to use their car to sell some drugs from.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Again this one is pretty much self-explanatory.

Amendment VII

In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

I really do not have much to say about this one so I leave it as it is.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I think that sometimes a high bail is needed depending upon the crime committed and the person who committed the crime. And as it does happen in some cases bail should be denied. I will leave it at that.

Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Self explanatory, needs no further explanation.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

There are a lot of gray areas here. I think the Federal government has in many instances taken rights they did not have or at one time belonged to the states and usurped their authority and taken those powers they once did not have.

This could be an interesting topic of discussion.

Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

Comment

Working...
    X