Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's why Republicans don't want an Election Day holiday

https://democracyreform-sarbanes.hou...tion_FINAL.pdf

Here is the link to the entire bill, I reviewed it and it's everything that really needs to be fixed, like for example ending gerrymandering once and for all.
    Why won't the Republicans support this badly needed reform ?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/polit...ans/index.html

One funny thing about his opposition to the idea of a paid federal holiday on Election Day is that in McConnell's home state of Kentucky, presidential Election Day is already a paid state government holiday. And civilians in Kentucky are entitled up to four unpaid hours by law to vote. Many states have similar laws.
    Regardless, McConnell's opposition keeps Democrats' proposals off the Senate floor and thus nowhere near becoming law.
    What's Mitch McConnell so afraid of?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/31/opini...las/index.html

we "need" a holiday for election day? boy that sure is at the top of my "needs"
    1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
    5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
    San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

Let me check with the country and see if they care what you think. Nope, they don't.

I know that reading the entire bill is beyond your attention span, but hourly workers that don't have sick time or vacation can't just go stand in a line in the middle of the work day. Since Republicans have been suppressing people's right to vote forever, this bill is designed to stop that bullshit.
      Parts of the country are entirely backwards on voting, and I've noticed it's only certain states. I wonder which ones. Hmmmm.

Voting machines should be eliminated, everyone should be registered automatically to vote. Vote by mail, no more Republican gerrymandering etc etc

Of course Republicans don't want people voting, because old white people that have nothing else to do are their base.

Comment

Originally posted by iceclimber View Post
        Let me check with the country and see if they care what you think. Nope, they don't.

I know that reading the entire bill is beyond your attention span, but hourly workers that don't have sick time or vacation can't just go stand in a line in the middle of the work day. Since Republicans have been suppressing people's right to vote forever, this bill is designed to stop that bullshit.
        Parts of the country are entirely backwards on voting, and I've noticed it's only certain states. I wonder which ones. Hmmmm.

Voting machines should be eliminated, everyone should be registered automatically to vote. Vote by mail, no more Republican gerrymandering etc etc

Of course Republicans don't want people voting, because old white people that have nothing else to do are their base.
        oh cry me a frickin river

Click image for larger version

Name:	race card.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	481712
        San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

Oh geez, the self loathing old white guy crying again.
          Esteban
          Vancouver, BC
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• iceclimber
            iceclimber commented
            Editing a comment
            Your contribution was "I vote by mail" thank you. Everyone should

The rest of your post is the standard right wing hogwash. Florida is leading the charge on the felon thing by the way. California has made real progress on this issue (meaning voting reform) and proved it works.

Republicans are scared shitless of people voting, just like they have been in the South since the Voting Rights Act. What would really upend things would be getting rid of the absurd electoral college. Then the people's choices could be elected, instead of the disaster we have now.

• hookemdano
            hookemdano commented
            Editing a comment
            you have absolutely NO proof that Cali "proved it works"...none...zero...nada...another of your fairly tales

• Iproff
            Iproff commented
            Editing a comment
            More name call I see

I think this bill would be a good thing. Then hard working democrats can go out and vote alongside their angry old retired white guy and unemployed under-educated white guy republicans. Imagine that, the whole country having the opportunity to go and vote without having to either burn a sick day, vacation day or make the choice to not vote because putting food on the table is a more immediate need. Of course 'Ol Mithc doesn't want this to pass. He's the head racist incharge of the Senate and might quikcly find himself out of a job.

Paul
          US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
          MMSI: 338181912

Comment

• green650
            green650 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh boy, another self loathing bitter old white guy.

• iceclimber
            iceclimber commented
            Editing a comment
            That old white guy is a veteran, so you can show some respect. Besides, you vote by mail why can't everyone ?

• green650
            green650 commented
            Editing a comment
            Who the hell are you to tell me who to respect?
            I don’t respect anyone unless I’ve met them in person and know them and what they have done. This is an online forum and he could be a child molester for all I know.

Originally posted by O1dSoldier View Post
          I think this bill would be a good thing. Then hard working democrats can go out and vote alongside their angry old retired white guy and unemployed under-educated white guy republicans. Imagine that, the whole country having the opportunity to go and vote without having to either burn a sick day, vacation day or make the choice to not vote because putting food on the table is a more immediate need. Of course 'Ol Mithc doesn't want this to pass. He's the head racist incharge of the Senate and might quikcly find himself out of a job.

sooooooooooooo how many sick days or vacation days have you burned to vote? yea...me neither

just another fake "news" talking point
          San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

Every country should do the same as Australia it's illegal not to vote there.
            Regardless of which party you support or don't support you should get out and vote.
            Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
            The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

When most of us vote by mail now and get our ballots weeks before we need to mail them back, I sure don't see the need to make yet another paid holiday.

Oh wait, I know why: That way the dems would have the day off so they would have the whole day to drive around and file more fake ballots.
              1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

• iceclimber
                iceclimber commented
                Editing a comment
                I would agree that vote by mail would eliminate the need for a national holiday. When you say "most of us" you obviously live in a progressive state.

The Dems are driving around filing more fake ballots? More Trumpian delusions I see.

Oh, and hookemdano I have taken a vacation day to go vote. Polls are long closed by the time I am able to leave work and popping out on my lunch break isn't a thing.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by baylineguy View Post
                When most of us vote by mail now and get our ballots weeks before we need to mail them back, I sure don't see the need to make yet another paid holiday.

Oh wait, I know why: That way the dems would have the day off so they would have the whole day to drive around and file more fake ballots.
                Dems driving around filing fake ballots. More and more right-wing fear mongering bullshit by the day...
                1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

• iceclimber
                  iceclimber commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is Trump's contribution to the country. Lying is now a standard form of communication.

Originally posted by Iproff View Post
                Every country should do the same as Australia it's illegal not to vote there.
                Honestly, I wish less people voted. Too many people just trudging along, just parroting their talking points.

Rafael Figueira
                1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

The Dems are driving around filing more fake ballots? More Trumpian delusions I see.

Oh, and hookemdano I have taken a vacation day to go vote. Polls are long closed by the time I am able to leave work and popping out on my lunch break isn't a thing.
                  So, Interesting that you had to take a day off to go vote since Washington has been all Vote By Mail for the last 8 years. I guess you're saying you needed to take the day off to put your ballot in the mail box.
                  1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Originally posted by baylineguy View Post

So, Interesting that you had to take a day off to go vote since Washington has been all Vote By Mail for the last 8 years. I guess you're saying you needed to take the day off to put your ballot in the mail box.
                    Yup, and prior to that. Guess what? Took a day of work. And since then I've needed the time to drive to other states so I could submit fake votes.

Paul

Comment

Yup, and prior to that. Guess what? Took a day of work. And since then I've needed the time to drive to other states so I could submit fake votes.
                      Hey, I live near Federal Way. Maybe next election we can carpool as we make our rounds submitting fake votes... we can split gas money.
                      1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Working...
                      X