The National Emergency Option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

I respect your opinion on climate change and healthcare, but it's irrelevant. The point is that declaring a national security for the wall would open up a can of worms for future presidents to circumvent our checks and balances.
    Many Presidents, including Obama, have declared a National Emergency to get around congress. Several of these National Emergencies are still in effect including one from decades ago.
    It's all a dream
    '03 245 5.7/BIII & '06 175

Comment

Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-co...ry?id=60294693
      1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
      5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
      San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

Originally posted by hookemdano View Post
        Here's a list of the 31 national emergencies that have been in effect for years

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-co...ry?id=60294693
        Wow! the things I didn’t know!

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

I respect your opinion on climate change and healthcare, but it's irrelevant. The point is that declaring a national security for the wall would open up a can of worms for future presidents to circumvent our checks and balances.
          Looks like that “ can” was opened at least 31 National Emergencies ago. If the SCOTUS hasn’t ruled negatively on whether or not a President has that power.......oh well, guess Trump can do it to build a wall.
          1990 2755 - sold
          2005 275 current vessel

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_Kenyon View Post

Looks like that “ can” was opened at least 31 National Emergencies ago. If the SCOTUS hasn’t ruled negatively on whether or not a President has that power.......oh well, guess Trump can do it to build a wall.
            Nope, no can was opened. None of them were for appropriation of funds... that is what Congress is for. Trump wants to find a loophole to get around our checks and balances and appropriate funds without congress. That is unconstitutional.
            1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

• Don9
              Don9 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not true. Obama did appropriate funds using National Emergency declaration.

Building a wall Congress won't fund

Should Trump decide to circumvent Congress by declaring a national emergency to build a border wall, he would very likely rely on a statute that lets him reprogram unobligated funds that Congress has appropriated for military construction projects.

"It's probably about $20 billion funding that the military has available right now in military construction and family housing accounts that has not yet been obligated," says Todd Harrison, who directs defense budget analysis at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

"So if President Trump were to use this money for building a wall," Harrison says, "I suppose that would mean taking away money for other military construction projects."

After Watergate, Congress passed a law aimed at greater oversight of presidential emergency power. Since then presidents have assumed the powers, but Congress has yet to exercise oversight.
            1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
            5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
            San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

• iceclimber
              iceclimber commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, the irony. Look who is quoting from NPR. Also ironic, Trump not paying parts of the military, then saying he's going to raid military funds for Homeland Security. Must be one hell of an emergency since McConnell went home.

• Rick_Kenyon
              Rick_Kenyon commented
              Editing a comment
              Well, are Chuckie and Nancy still in town waiting to “make a deal”?

• hookemdano
              hookemdano commented
              Editing a comment
              duh...this is the second time I posted a link to NPR on this thread...try to pay attention

yea...McConnell shoulda gone to Hawaii...cuz that is acceptable to the dims
          Working...
          X