The National Emergency Option

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The National Emergency Option

Many of you Trumpsters are in full support of Trump declaring a National Emergency to fund the wall.

You should be careful. Next time a Democrat wins the presidency, they could very well declare a National Emergency to combat climate change. You could thank Trump for setting the precedent!
    1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Or full funding for healthcare.
    Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
    The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

After Watergate, Congress passed a law aimed at greater oversight of presidential emergency power. Since then presidents have assumed the powers, but Congress has yet to exercise oversight.
      1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
      5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
      San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

It would require 2/3rd majority vote in both houses to override a national emergency. That wouldn't happen with Trump's wall, and wouldn't happen with climate change or universal health care either!

Comment

Climate change? Why should we as a nation expend billions on it when major polluters like China and India won’t change their habits? I’m all for reducing pollution but not as the only or one of the few countries in the word doing so. If we can get 100% compliance and verification from all the world’s major polluter nation’s, I say go for it.

Full funding for healthcare? I saw a fellow from the CBO on tv the other day saying their studies project that “Medicare for all” will cost $32 Trillion to implement. That’s $10 Trillion over the current National Debt. Who’s going to pay for that? I don’t see how it is fiscally possible to fully fund healthcare for all?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-32-6-trillion
          1990 2755 - sold
          2005 275 current vessel

Comment

• Iproff
            Iproff commented
            Editing a comment
            Rick you missed the whole point. If Trump declares a nation emergency on the wall what's stopping the next President from declaring one on healthcare or climate change. Just as you believe there is no climate change others believe there is no need for a wall.

• Rick_Kenyon
            Rick_Kenyon commented
            Editing a comment
            Never said that I didn’t believe in climate change, I just don’t want us to be the ones trying to fix what the rest of the world continues to screw up. If we can get total agreement and compliance with the goals, fine. By all means, reduce pollution.

And btw, if it is within Presidential power to declare a National Emergency for something like the wall, why couldn’t the next President invoke it for anything they deemed as a National emergency? Saying that if Trump does it now will mean the next president will do it for something else is ridiculous. If the President has that power, any President has that power. It’s not as if you can say “well Trump did it so the next guy is justified too”. That is an illogical argument. If any President has that power, they all have it. Whether or not they use it is a separate matter.

Originally posted by Rick_Kenyon View Post
          Climate change? Why should we as a nation expend billions on it when major polluters like China and India won’t change their habits? I’m all for reducing pollution but not as the only or one of the few countries in the word doing so. If we can get 100% compliance and verification from all the world’s major polluter nation’s, I say go for it.

Full funding for healthcare? I saw a fellow from the CBO on tv the other day saying their studies project that “Medicare for all” will cost $32 Trillion to implement. That’s $10 Trillion over the current National Debt. Who’s going to pay for that? I don’t see how it is fiscally possible to fully fund healthcare for all?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-32-6-trillion
          I respect your opinion on climate change and healthcare, but it's irrelevant. The point is that declaring a national security for the wall would open up a can of worms for future presidents to circumvent our checks and balances.

Comment

I think the most important point is it's not an national emergency. Instead of all the hysterics, maybe as a leader Trump should have his advisors study the reason why we can't simply repulse the Central American migrants at the border (regardless of age) just like we do for everyone else.

The reason is;

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/110/hr7311 H.R. 7311 (110th): William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008

Honestly, as of like a week ago I had no idea this law existed. I think it took me exactly 45 seconds to find it, and 30 seconds of that I was getting a cup of coffee. Wouldn't it be totally remarkable if our President didn't lurch around like an idiot ? CHANGE THE LAW. Stop whining and lying about national emergencies. Do your effing job.

Comment

• baylineguy
              baylineguy commented
              Editing a comment
              The president doesn't write laws. Congress does.

he is doing his effing job...trying to get the wall built
            San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

• iceclimber
              iceclimber commented
              Editing a comment
              Well he sort of failed for two years, with a majority in both houses. Also, we have lots of walls. I hear there is one in San Diego.

• hookemdano
              hookemdano commented
              Editing a comment
              there ya go with yer usual cnn talking point...did he have 60 votes in the senate? nope

yep...its really more of a fence....3 deep.....razor wire on top...now we just need more fences like this to finish the job

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post

I respect your opinion on climate change and healthcare, but it's irrelevant. The point is that declaring a national security for the wall would open up a can of worms for future presidents to circumvent our checks and balances.
            Disagree. Most likely it would bring many lawsuits over the declaration which would end up at the Supreme Court, then a determination would be made as to whether any President had that power to declare a national emergency over national border security. Right now, I don’t think it would be upheld by the SCOTUS which is why I think Trump does not want to go that way.
            1990 2755 - sold
            2005 275 current vessel

Comment

It would require 2/3rd majority vote in both houses to override a national emergency. That wouldn't happen with Trump's wall, and wouldn't happen with climate change or universal health care either!
              It won't be congress that would override it. It will immediately go to the courts. I'll bet it will go to one of the liberal judges in the 9th circuit within hours. It will eventually work its way to the Supreme Court but I'm not at all sure it will fly there. Personally, I'd be against declaring a national emergency, at least at this time.
              1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Numerous Democrats now say they want a border barrier.

Don’t they know Nancy says it’s immoral?

Pelosi and Cryin’ Chuck Schumer begged President Trump this week to reopen the government. Trump doesn’t give a damn and wants a wall. Chuck and Nancy are losing. And their wall of insanity is crumbling down. Numerous Democrats now say they want a border barrier. Don’t they know Nancy says it’s immoral? Dem Rep. Cheri …
                San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

Comment

You guys don't think Trump will go the national emergency route, but I'll bet he does. Democrats already have him a bill to fund border security and open the government... either he chooses to accept it and then negotiate with them on the wall later, or he declares a national emergency. He will choose the later option so Rush and Ann don't crucify him.

Comment

I agree with you 100%

There are options that while they are doable, in the end they will not be so good.

Setting precident of using a presidential declaration is IMO not the right way to go.

Behind the scenes I would be floating a trade of amnisty for those already here, coupled with the security to keep future illegal immigrants out.

Then if they do not bite on that I would taske it public, making a presidental adress declaring the ability to get amnisty. that would put the pressure on.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

I agree with you 100%

There are options that while they are doable, in the end they will not be so good.

Setting precident of using a presidential declaration is IMO not the right way to go.

Behind the scenes I would be floating a trade of amnisty for those already here, coupled with the security to keep future illegal immigrants out.

Then if they do not bite on that I would taske it public, making a presidental adress declaring the ability to get amnisty. that would put the pressure on.
                      Exactly - needs to negotiate and make a deal with the Democrats. Either side would come up a little short on what they want, but the country needs a compromise on both sides.

Comment

Exactly - needs to negotiate and make a deal with the Democrats. Either side would come up a little short on what they want, but the country needs a compromise on both sides.
                        In my opinion the best deal is to have border security, along with amnisty for those that have been here for X amount of time, and not committed any crime other than minor parking offenses. Permenant green cards. Get a social security number. Pay taxes. Be a real part of the society they risked everything to be a part of.

Thaty seems like a real fair trade to me. Just make it really difficult for those in the future to sneak in. Make it clerar that will not be tolerated in the future.

If I were the president I would literally have a news conference and make that offer directly to the public.

Government would be open tomorrow.

KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Working...
                        X