Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An example of the problem of reporting news.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An example of the problem of reporting news.

Here is the headline

TIDAL WAVE : HUNDREDS OF COAST GUARD FAMILIES SHOW UP AT BOSTON FOOD PANTRY.

Link to the story https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/68411...on-food-pantry

Sounds terrible right??? I feel terrible reading it!

Then I talk to my son who lives in Ketchikan Alaska, and who’s wife is a E6 in the Coast Guard.
    I ask him ih he is OK, does he need food?

His response was...

We haven’t missed a paycheck yet!

He said that yes they would probably be missing their paychecks on the 15th, but they have not missed one cent yet.

Then he told me about a local group that had already given out $100 gift cards to Coast Guard families, and that those families had already spent them, and were complaining that they were “starving” when they have not missed a paycheck.

Before you say anything about the great sacrifice and underpaid to begin with members of our military stop right there. I’ll help you. A E6 in the military here in Alaska makes OVER SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH TAKE HOME. That’s a really good wage for a 30 year old. That is more than my union electrical professionals get if they do not work overtime.

This is not to fault members of our Coast Guard, except to say that some members, and the media are taking advantage of this shutdown.
    My son and his wife are fine. They manage their money properly. They have a cash reserve, and they have credit cards they can use if this gets goes on.

And...

They have not missed a paycheck yet. If they were starving, or broke, they would have been mismanaging their money, as their paycheck is not even due until next Tuesday.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
    Here is the headline

TIDAL WAVE : HUNDREDS OF COAST GUARD FAMILIES SHOW UP AT BOSTON FOOD PANTRY.

Link to the story https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/68411...on-food-pantry

Sounds terrible right??? I feel terrible reading it!

Then I talk to my son wo lives in Ketchikan Alaska, and who’s wife is a E6 in the Coast Guard.
    I ask him ih he is OK, does he need food?

His response was...

We haven’t missed a paycheck yet!

He said that yes they would probably be missing their paychecks on the 15th, but they have not missed one cent yet.

Then he told me about a local group that had already given out $100 gift cards to Coast Guard families, and that those families had already spent them, and were complaining that they were “starving” when they have not missed a paycheck.

Before you say anything about the great sacrifice and underpaid to begin with members of our military stop right there. I’ll help you. a E6 in the military here in Alaska makes OVER SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH TAKE HOME. That’s a really good wage for a 30 year old. That is more than my union electrical professionals get if they do not work overtime.

This is not to fault members of our Coast Guard, except to say that some members, and the media are taking advantage of this shutdown.
    Well first of all, I'm glad your son's getting through this okay. But, you're trying to discredit this article with your personal experience which doesn't speak to the families that are being helped by this food pantry. Your son is paid well and sounds like he has some money in the bank... and hasn't missed a paycheck yet, but he will of course. Well, I'm sure you realize that there are many, many people that live paycheck-to-paycheck (I know you're not one of them which is good). These people know they'll be missing then next check and probably the one after that, and with no money in the bank right now they are personally in crisis mode! Your son is not, but the people referred to in this article are. There is nothing wrong with this article - it is factual reporting.
    1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

I'm enthused to see you are reading NPR, but before you call out a "problem" note this food bank was set up by the military, for the military. I can tell you from my personal experience a lot of military families in my day were on WIC and other forms of assistance. Also, sounds like your figures might include BAQ and BAS which is adjusted for high cost of living areas.

The problem is not today Kevin, it's the uncertainty. Besides all that, I'm sorry what a load of CRAP from all the flag wavers like draft dodger Trump. How dare he threaten these people's pay FOR NO REASON.

Active Duty Enlisted Basic U.S. Military Pay Charts 2018
      E-7 $2,944.21 $3,336.46
      E-6 $2,546.68 $2,925.75
      E-5 $2,333.09 $2,609.97
      E-4 $2,138.83 $2,370.33
      4 more rows

May 31, 2018

Active Duty Enlisted Basic Military Pay Charts 2017

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/active-duty-enlisted-basic-military-pay-charts-33438...

Comment

Coast Guardsmen are working without pay during the shutdown, and thousands of civilians working for the service are furloughed.
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

Got to just love the false narrative in the MSM that the government shutdown is all Trump's fault. No it is not. The Dems, led by Pelosi, refuse to negotiate on funding for the wall. Trump wants $5.7 Bil and I think he would accept half of that. But no, Pelosi is dug in. Anything for the wall is just not acceptable.
          1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

• iceclimber
            iceclimber commented
            Editing a comment
            You can keep repeating that lie, but it's still a lie.

• Iproff
            Iproff commented
            Editing a comment
            Even Trump said I will take the hit for the shut down. It's on me no one else.

• Terry_J
            Terry_J commented
            Editing a comment
            Just remember, it’s not a lie...if you believe it.
            George Costanza

Originally posted by baylineguy View Post
          Got to just love the false narrative in the MSM that the government shutdown is all Trump's fault. No it is not. The Dems, led by Pelosi, refuse to negotiate on funding for the wall. Trump wants $5.7 Bil and I think he would accept half of that. But no, Pelosi is dug in. Anything for the wall is just not acceptable.
          Trump tells Schumer he'll take the blame for government shutdown in heated argument over border security. Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi urged the president to reconsider his threats to shut the government down.
          Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
          The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

• iceclimber
            iceclimber commented
            Editing a comment
            That's just the MSM broadcasting the truth again.

Trump didn't say he'd take the blame... it was an augmented reality trick by the MSM. Trump wasn't even there... he was a hologram.
          1995 Bayliner 2452 Mercruiser 5.7L Alpha 1 Gen 2

Comment

Working...
          X