And the trade war starts July 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iproff View Post
    Late on Friday, China said it would impose additional 25 percent tariffs on 659 U.S. goods worth $50 billion, in response to the U.S. imposition of tariffs.

"The wise man builds bridges, the fool builds walls," the official Xinhua news agency said in an editorial, echoing official comments that China would defend its interests in a trade war.
    OK tell me the fantasy world you'd have to live in to believe, that the Chinese have not been waging a trade war against us, from the beginning. It is our own fault that we allowed it to get this far. Trade war? A joke. Let's add to that, dumping, intellectual property theft, 25% tariff on US vehicles, you can't build vehicles there, unless you give them your trade secrets, etc. I try very very hard to buy NOTHING from them. I will never ever buy a made in China car even if it has a US brand on it. They are crooks on a level that makes organized crime look like a kindergarten operation. And stubborn, they will not give in. OUR FAULT, now you get what you sowed.
    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Comment

You can thank him.

By the way, the US is not the #1 trading partner with China, the European Union is. Now that Trump has positioned us as enemies of both, gosh I wonder what that means for our economy ?

Comment

Being able to predict the future has never been a strength of most politicians. And when Nixon was president, our main concern with him was not being sucked into the morass of the Vietnam war, since my age group were getting really close. Luckily for myself and friends the same age he stopped drafting people to serve in January 1973 the year I turned 18.
          However, there have been many administrations since ole Nixon, and no one has done much.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Originally posted by 88fourwinns View Post
            Being able to predict the future has never been a strength of most politicians. And when Nixon was president, our main concern with him was not being sucked into the morass of the Vietnam war, since my age group were getting really close. Luckily for myself and friends the same age he stopped drafting people to serve in January 1973 the year I turned 18.
            However, there have been many administrations since ole Nixon, and no one has done much.
            Americans are addicted to cheap goods, it is that simple and that complex. We want cheap iphones and televisions and the Chinese are basically slave labor. I guess no one will credit Obama with his shift to the Pacific Rim, not exactly predicting the future more like looking over the horizon. Trump is a dangerous person in the office, he's way way over his head and John Bolton has his ear. Bolton should be banned from public service.

Comment

I do have to agree with the addiction to cheap goods. It has gotten so bad with US companies outsourcing that it is now getting tough to find good quality aftermarket stuff for both cars and boats. Honestly is there really a solution? I have often bought OE stuff but even now it is coming from there. Used to be there was a difference between OEM OMC, Merc or Volvo parts vs Sierra or GLM, now I'm not so sure.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Originally posted by 88fourwinns View Post
                I do have to agree with the addiction to cheap goods. It has gotten so bad with US companies outsourcing that it is now getting tough to find good quality aftermarket stuff for both cars and boats. Honestly is there really a solution? I have often bought OE stuff but even now it is coming from there. Used to be there was a difference between OEM OMC, Merc or Volvo parts vs Sierra or GLM, now I'm not so sure.
                The addiction is not for cheap goods. The addiction is for more money.
                Everyone wants more, more and more money. The guy flipping burgers wants $15/hr. The guy behind the cash register at retail want $50,000 yearly. And Donald wants everyone to have “good paying jobs” which mean more money than they have now.
                How does your boss give you more money without increasing the selling price of his widget? Solution, off-shore manufacturing the widget. Then the guy who used to make the widget in the USA is now on welfare and your paycheck government deduction goes up to pay that welfare. Now you have less “take home pay” because of the increased deduction.
                Have I mentioned the stock holders also demanding more and more revenues from their investments.
                More money, more money, more money. That’s the problem. The solution? Instead of increasing income, lower cost.
                I don’t care if my income is only $10 per week. As long as bread is $0.10, milk is $0.15. A car cost $1,000. And so on.
                People don’t realize that every time they demand more money, they increase the cost of the goods they buy. So, what have they gained? The other major issue is people feel they have to live beyond their means. Don’t buy a new car if you can’t afford one. Don’t buy a smart phone if you can’t afford the data plan. And most important, don’t blame the rest of the world because you put yourself in the situation you are in. The economy is doing great? Sure, when people are buying what they can’t afford and just increasing their unpaid credit card balance. Making things you buy off-shore more expensive will only make you visit your boss for ,wait for it, ....MORE MONEY. It’s all a false security in an economy that is destined to blow-up.
                Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Originally posted by oakplank View Post

The addiction is not for cheap goods. The addiction is for more money.
                  Everyone wants more, more and more money. The guy flipping burgers wants $15/hr. The guy behind the cash register at retail want $50,000 yearly. And Donald wants everyone to have “good paying jobs” which mean more money than they have now.
                  How does your boss give you more money without increasing the selling price of his widget? Solution, off-shore manufacturing the widget. Then the guy who used to make the widget in the USA is now on welfare and your paycheck government deduction goes up to pay that welfare. Now you have less “take home pay” because of the increased deduction.
                  Have I mentioned the stock holders also demanding more and more revenues from their investments.
                  More money, more money, more money. That’s the problem. The solution? Instead of increasing income, lower cost.
                  I don’t care if my income is only $10 per week. As long as bread is $0.10, milk is $0.15. A car cost $1,000. And so on.
                  People don’t realize that every time they demand more money, they increase the cost of the goods they buy. So, what have they gained? The other major issue is people feel they have to live beyond their means. Don’t buy a new car if you can’t afford one. Don’t buy a smart phone if you can’t afford the data plan. And most important, don’t blame the rest of the world because you put yourself in the situation you are in. The economy is doing great? Sure, when people are buying what they can’t afford and just increasing their unpaid credit card balance. Making things you buy off-shore more expensive will only make you visit your boss for ,wait for it, ....MORE MONEY. It’s all a false security in an economy that is destined to blow-up.
                  Yep agree 100% and here is a good example of that. I own my own business. I haven't raised my prices for a while and sometimes I could feel the pinch.

well Washington state had an increase of the minimum wage that went up about 2 dollars an hour this year. On top of that there is now forced paid sick leave that employers now have to pay. All this came down at the same time this year. I finally had enough and I raised my fees 10%.

Well out of a out 30 clients that I do business for the only one that complained was the state ran clinics that I do business with. The thought in my mind was one of go pound sand go talk to your boss after all it his problem. He is the one that put all this in place.

As costs rise business wont and can not continue to take hits like that without passing it on to its customers. When people vote in higher taxes and wages and benefits they almost never take into account the ramifications . All they see is I want $15 an hour they don't realize life will now cost them $20 an hour.

you cant blame the business owner we are just trying to make a living and keep our heads above water.

Thinking about who is the biggest benefactor to the increased minimum wage and it's not the people but the government and that is why they love to do it.

people now pay taxes on$15 instead of $10 or what ever it was. As an employer no we not only have to pay the higher wage but also an increase in the taxes we pay for each employee.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post

Yep agree 100% and here is a good example of that. I own my own business. I haven't raised my prices for a while and sometimes I could feel the pinch.

well Washington state had an increase of the minimum wage that went up about 2 dollars an hour this year. On top of that there is now forced paid sick leave that employers now have to pay. All this came down at the same time this year. I finally had enough and I raised my fees 10%.

Well out of a out 30 clients that I do business for the only one that complained was the state ran clinics that I do business with. The thought in my mind was one of go pound sand go talk to your boss after all it his problem. He is the one that put all this in place.

As costs rise business wont and can not continue to take hits like that without passing it on to its customers. When people vote in higher taxes and wages and benefits they almost never take into account the ramifications . All they see is I want $15 an hour they don't realize life will now cost them $20 an hour.

you cant blame the business owner we are just trying to make a living and keep our heads above water.

Thinking about who is the biggest benefactor to the increased minimum wage and it's not the people but the government and that is why they love to do it.

people now pay taxes on$15 instead of $10 or what ever it was. As an employer no we not only have to pay the higher wage but also an increase in the taxes we pay for each employee.
                    I just can’t understand why people do not get it.
                    If you double your salary in ten years and the cost of living doubles, what have you gained? You will have “More Money” (that’s all people seem to care about these days), but you will still be looking for cheap imports to make ends meet (as you are doing today). The only way to get more money without affecting the cost of living is by climbing the corporate ladder. If you can’t or won’t do that, then I’m sorry, but that’s where you will be parked. You can’t just ask for more money today for doing what you were doing yesterday without affecting the economy.
                    Stop blaming others, The Americans are where they are because of who they are. You want, you pay.

Comment

Originally posted by oakplank View Post

I just can’t understand why people do not get it.
                      If you double your salary in ten years and the cost of living doubles, what have you gained? You will have “More Money” (that’s all people seem to care about these days), but you will still be looking for cheap imports to make ends meet (as you are doing today). The only way to get more money without affecting the cost of living is by climbing the corporate ladder. If you can’t or won’t do that, then I’m sorry, but that’s where you will be parked. You can’t just ask for more money today for doing what you were doing yesterday without affecting the economy.
                      Stop blaming others, The Americans are where they are because of who they are. You want, you pay.
                      The canadians are where they are because of who they are.
                      1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
                      5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
                      San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

Yes, with vastly superior health care for a fraction of what we pay. That means a better quality of life.

Comment

• hookemdano
                          hookemdano commented
                          Editing a comment
                          ya know...NO one is forcing you to stay in this country...try canada on for size

Originally posted by hookemdano View Post

The canadians are where they are because of who they are.
                        Exactly. Now you’re getting it. Congratulations.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	437435
                          1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
                          5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
                          San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

Originally posted by hookemdano View Post
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	437435
                            ? or as you would say “YAWN”.

Comment

If you have good insurance in the US, Canada's system is far from vastly superior and I have been told this by Canadians. 65 % of residents in Montreal do not have a primary care physician. What does that tell you? Vastly superior? Maybe for routine care it is fine but what happens when you need a MRI or an angiogram or similar? I took a lower paying career, because of medical insurance benefits. It was a good decision 30 years ago and still is.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
                              X