Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And the trade war starts July 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Iproff View Post
    Kevin where did you the information that Quebec is cutting the price of electricity to aluminum producers which gives them an unfair advantage.
    I never said that...

    What I said (and I am open for correction) is that the low cost hydroelectric energy in Quebec is the result of public money being spent on those power generation and transmission systems. That makes the energy that comes form them a subsidized commodity.

    I assumed that the hydroelectric projects were Canadian government funded and as I indicated I might be corrected on this if they were for profit private projects.

    KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY
    SEWARD, ALASKA

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by donyt View Post

      While the workplace safety issue I agree with the environmental issue gets blurred between real pollution and green energy / global warming. But at the end of the day put yourself in the workers position in that country. Would you rather work at an unsafe job and possibly die or not work at any job and die a slow agonizing death due to starvation. I know which I would choose.
      I do not blur global warming into the equation although I suppose some might. I am just thinking about “regular” pollution, the kind we outlawed here decades ago.

      Being a good enviromental steward is more expensive. I understand that and accpet those costs as “necessary”.

      KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by ksanders View Post

        I never said that...

        What I said (and I am open for correction) is that the low cost hydroelectric energy in Quebec is the result of public money being spent on those power generation and transmission systems. That makes the energy that comes form them a subsidized commodity.

        I assumed that the hydroelectric projects were Canadian government funded and as I indicated I might be corrected on this if they were for profit private projects.
        Quebec is very unique they look after everything they even have their own pension system and they don't collect Canada Pension or contribute to it. Their power is very cheap because they have so many hydro electric dams on rivers there. The cost to the foundries is no different than any other manufacture. Yes their electricity costs less than Ontario and most of Canada but they make a profit on it.
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        The village idiot strikes again.

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by Iproff View Post

          Quebec is very unique they look after everything they even have their own pension system and they don't collect Canada Pension or contribute to it. Their power is very cheap because they have so many hydro electric dams on rivers there. The cost to the foundries is no different than any other manufacture. Yes their electricity costs less than Ontario and most of Canada but they make a profit on it.
          I am not necessarially in favor of cost equalizing tarriffs the more I think about it on Canadian smelted products. The reason is that places get to use the natural resources that are abundant in that regon, and if the government helped it’s citizens by utilizing those resources then that is what governments are supposed to do. The fact that low cost energy is available in quebec makes that reigion a great place for high energy using industries.

          This answers my previous question as well “what makes one place better at something than another” The availibility of a specific natural resource is a great reason Quebec is better at smelting metal than other places.

          KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

          Comment


            #65
            The EU announced today that the tariffs will kick in on July 1st. Everything from Levi jeans to Bourbon and Harley Davidsons. All steel and aluminum will have the same tariffs that the USA imposed. This is tuning really ugly and all of us are going to pay the price for this no matter where you live.
            Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
            The village idiot strikes again.

            Comment


              #66
              Anyone care to make a bet that's going to be Smoot Hawley all over again?
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by yachtman View Post
                Anyone care to make a bet that's going to be Smoot Hawley all over again?
                I hope it does not get to that and Congress takes steps to prevent it. There could be 6 months to a year of this before common sense kicks in.
                Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
                The village idiot strikes again.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by Iproff View Post
                  I hope it does not get to that and Congress takes steps to prevent it. There could be 6 months to a year of this before common sense kicks in.
                  Steel and aluminum tariffs are based on quotas. Some import types have been hitting the quote already, making it more expensive to American metal fabricators that use it to make products. Which means their products are now more expensive too LOL, and they are losing to foreign companies that buy cheap metal to make the same product.

                  Who said Trump only gives tax breaks to corporations? He also raises taxes on them, it's just called a different name.
                  Rafael Figueira
                  1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Have you got your cheque books ready ?

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_254 Jun. 07 20.31.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	435251

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_255 Jun. 07 20.33.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	435250

                    Comment


                      #70
                      The US debt clock has taken a turn for the worse. It did show a 3% improvment in April and early May but it has jumped 3% in a month. The federal government is spending at 138% again.


                      The worse news is the federal government is now forecasting that spending will be at 198% by 2022. This is a huge jump from 175% just a few months ago.

                      http://www.usdebtclock.org/current-rates.html


                      Continuously Updated US National Debt Clock Real Time US Debt Clock, Mortgage Calculator, Loan Calculator
                      Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
                      The village idiot strikes again.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by Iproff View Post
                        The US debt clock has taken a turn for the worse. It did show a 3% improvment in April and early May but it has jumped 3% in a month. The federal government is spending at 138% again.


                        The worse news is the federal government is now forecasting that spending will be at 198% by 2022. This is a huge jump from 175% just a few months ago.

                        http://www.usdebtclock.org/current-rates.html

                        And here I thought that Trump said he fixed the economy and everything in America was great.
                        What I don’t get is, will the people who’s paycheck ballooned sky high after Trump’s tax cuts, pay for this high debt or will they gift that to their children and grand kids just so they can say Donald made America Great Again?
                        Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                        2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                        12 foot aluminum fishing boat

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Traditional Republican "values" are gone, dead. They are willing to accept a lying draft dodging coward as long as they get their rich people tax welfare. The debt does not exist until a Democrat takes office in 2.5 years. Or less.

                          Comment


                          • FISHIN00
                            FISHIN00 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What mind altering drugs are you taking while reading revisionist history?

                          #73
                          Late on Friday, China said it would impose additional 25 percent tariffs on 659 U.S. goods worth $50 billion, in response to the U.S. imposition of tariffs.

                          "The wise man builds bridges, the fool builds walls," the official Xinhua news agency said in an editorial, echoing official comments that China would defend its interests in a trade war.
                          China state media attacked the U.S. tariffs and said Trump has an "obsession with playing the disgraceful role of global economic disruptor."
                          Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
                          The village idiot strikes again.

                          Comment


                            #74
                            ""The wise man builds bridges, the fool builds walls," the official Xinhua news agency said in an editorial, echoing official comments that China would defend its interests in a trade war.'

                            when exactly did china tear down their wall?
                            1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
                            5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
                            San Diego, CA

                            HookEmDanO out ......

                            the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

                            Comment


                              #75
                              Hold on a minute!!! Part of the whole point of these tariffs (I don't believe in tariffs) is the fact that China has /is devaluing its currency. so that it can undercut the world. If you look at it from that point this is a good thing. The point being anything that makes China raise prices is a good thing. I guess.

                              Frankly China dumping their chep products on the world has hurt many a country. For example my wife.is from Peru and her father is a Taylor a maker of hand made fine suits. Since China has began selling their cheap crap to Peru people opt for the cheap stuff and has put many people out of work.
                              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X