Get ready for a carbon tax in Washington state

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get ready for a carbon tax in Washington state

Washington state's liberal governor has been pressing hard for a carbon tax on energy including new taxes on gas, diesel, and other fuels. Now that the Dems also control both houses of Congress, his wish is moving forward: Interesting that there is an exclusion on jet fuel though, so if you own a private jet, you'll be fine, ha,ha.

Get ready for an exodus of businesses from here.

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — A measure to tax fossil fuel emissions to fight climate change has cleared a Senate committee.

The Senate energy, environment and technology committee amended and approved Senate Bill 6203 Thursday night. It now goes to a fiscal committee.

Sen. Reuven Carlyle, a Democrat and bill sponsor, says climate change is having a profound effect on the state and world and the measure attempts to address that.

The bill proposes a new tax of $10 per metric ton of carbon emissions, lower than the $20 per ton originally proposed by Gov. Jay Inslee. The tax would begin in 2019 and in 2021 would increase $2 per ton each year until it is capped at $30 a ton.

Sen. Doug Ericksen, a Republican from Ferndale, criticized the bill saying it would force businesses to leave the state and hurt working families.

If the Legislature doesn't act on a carbon policy, a coalition of environmental, labor and other groups say they will move ahead with a citizen's initiative this November.
    Join now for as low as
    99¢ for the 1st month
    Subscribe Now
    1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Well, Obama’s pollution initiatives really helped business now, didn’t they? One more reason for Boeing to shift more production to SC. Even though there is a jet fuel exclusion, i’m sure it’s going to raise energy costs in the state even higher because of the tax. SC is looking for more business, so come on down.
    1990 2755 - sold
    2005 275 current vessel

Comment

You know what we need Rick, more coal. Plus, we need to ignore the climate, I mean what could happen?

States like Washington and California are taking action, because the polluter in chief is doing the exact opposite. Boeing was (and will) shift production anywhere they can save a couple pennies on labor. Maybe it's time they stop giving Boeing welfare. Maybe Trump can get involved and save jobs and all that, huh. Does Trump know where all the components of Boeing's planes are made ? Is he going to bring all that manufacturing back to the US ? Let us know, ok ?

Comment

Originally posted by iceclimber View Post
        You know what we need Rick, more coal. Plus, we need to ignore the climate, I mean what could happen?

States like Washington and California are taking action, because the polluter in chief is doing the exact opposite. Boeing was (and will) shift production anywhere they can save a couple pennies on labor. Maybe it's time they stop giving Boeing welfare. Maybe Trump can get involved and save jobs and all that, huh. Does Trump know where all the components of Boeing's planes are made ? Is he going to bring all that manufacturing back to the US ? Let us know, ok ?
        Ok. I’ll be sure to post it when it happens.

I do not advocate increasing pollution and, in fact, do not advocate reversing things which have already been put into place to help the environment. Likewise I do not support the government increasing taxes to supposedly penalize those who pollute the environment. If the politicians are that concerned, levy fines on the polluters, but don’t tax society in general for the faults of a few. These taxes will impact every citizen of Washington, either directly or indirectly, and will make their lives worse either through higher prices, higher energy costs, loss of jobs, and many more types of fallout.

Penalize those who pollute, but don’t penalize everybody. And I don’t advocate more use of coal until it can be made “clean”.

and if the politicians are truly concerned, they should pass legislation making it illegal for polluters to pass along the cost of fines they incurr to their customers, ie. Oil companies can’t raise prices because of pollution fines, electric companies likewise, etc.
        If the polluters are allowed to pass through their penalties, that will also indirectly affect everyone in the state.
        1990 2755 - sold
        2005 275 current vessel

Comment

I am in favor of consumption taxes. In this state, you pay at the pump. That's one example, but the issue is you can't have it both ways. The right wants profits, stock prices and free market. The left wants the people that do the polluting to be held responsible. So, is that the company or the consumer. Both.

Comment

Washington state already has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. Pennsylvania is currently the highest and California recently passed a tax increase, so Washington is now in 3rd place for highest state gas tax. This cnew arbon tax will likely vault WA into first place. And then the state is exploring an additional per mile road tax on all vehicles too. The taxocrats in Washington keep finding new ways to separate it's citizens from their hard earned money.

Comment

Originally posted by baylineguy View Post
              Washington state already has one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. Pennsylvania is currently the highest and California recently passed a tax increase, so Washington is now in 3rd place for highest state gas tax. This cnew arbon tax will likely vault WA into first place. And then the state is exploring an additional per mile road tax on all vehicles too. The taxocrats in Washington keep finding new ways to separate it's citizens from their hard earned money.
              how will they keep track of your miles?
              1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
              5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
              San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more liberal people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

Originally posted by hookemdano View Post

how will they keep track of your miles?
                Options include a mandatory annual odometer check or installing a gps device in vehicles to keep track of it. Big brother will be watching us.

Comment

Options include a mandatory annual odometer check or installing a gps device in vehicles to keep track of it. Big brother will be watching us.
                  Complete overreach. What about people on public assistance who don’t have cars? Why shouldn’t they pay also? Hell, they create just as much garbage and breathe the same air as everyone else. But it sounds like folks without a car won’t end up paying. You citizens of Washington need to wake up and throw your tax hungry legislators out of office.

you see this approach time after time with the left wingers. Tax the hell out of everyone until there is nothing left to give. Well, take a look at NY. Upstate NY looks like Detroit. Manufacturing wasteland, high taxes and slum conditions in the main sections of most upstate cities. But do the Democrat leaders change anything? Nope, just add more taxes. Now I hear that the Mayor of Syracuse has put forward a plan to merge the city and county governments into one metropolitan government. Why? Because the city is broke and has no tax base anymore. Because they taxed everything productive in the city out of existence. Somebody needs to tell the left that their approach only hastens the demise of society. Get off the more taxes mantra and do something to create jobs and a positive economy. Government taxation and control of everything is not the answer.
                  1990 2755 - sold
                  2005 275 current vessel

Comment

And.....NO INCOME TAX !!!
                    Tell you what, don't live here. Move to Idaho, right next door.

Comment

• baylineguy
                      baylineguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ha, I'm thinking about it. Boating is not as good in Idaho though.

And.....NO INCOME TAX !!!
                    Tell you what, don't live here. Move to Idaho, right next door.
                    Yup, right decision. Leave the taxers to tax themselves into bankruptcy for the state. Taxing is for two purposes, to pay for general public improvements. Yes, good for all. Or to pay for giving subsistence to those that can not achieve it by themselves.
                    . Seems like taxing to support a dying industry, right? Which is the better option? Taxing to support those who can’t do it themselves seems like a no win proposition, right?
                    1990 2755 - sold
                    2005 275 current vessel

Comment

Totally not tracking Rick. Washington ain't exactly hurting. Ask us folks living here.

Comment

Totally not tracking Rick. Washington ain't exactly hurting. Ask us folks living here.
                        I thought ya said ya lived in CA? or was it working in CA?

1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
                        5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
                        San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more liberal people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

But on that track, eventually you will be hurting when business leaves and you have massively bloated welfare rolls. But hey, don’t consider what I am saying. Just wait till it happens and hopefully remember what I said. Good luck.

take a look at NY if you want to see what your future holds.
                          1990 2755 - sold
                          2005 275 current vessel

Comment

Originally posted by hookemdano View Post
                            I thought ya said ya lived in CA? or was it working in CA?
                            Like many on here, they just make it up as they go along.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
                            X