State department ignores Congress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State department ignores Congress

We may be wading into the first constitutional dispute of the Trump administration. On Monday night, the State Department announced it would not impose the sanctions that Congress passed in mid-2017.
    Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
    The village idiot strikes again.

That's the State Department's job, to make recommendations to Congress and the Executive Branch on matters of State. Nothing unconstitutional about that. You need to spend more time studying Canadian politics.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Originally posted by SomeSailor View Post
      That's the State Department's job, to make recommendations to Congress and the Executive Branch on matters of State. Nothing unconstitutional about that. You need to spend more time studying Canadian politics.
      Congress voted on it and approved it. The state department needs to follow what Congress passes. Even if Trump was opposed to it.

How those Tarrifs on the C7 working for yea
      Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
      The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

It's deferred action.
        Esteban
        Detroit, MI
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by Iproff View Post

Congress voted on it and approved it. The state department needs to follow what Congress passes. Even if Trump was opposed to it.

How those Tarrifs on the C7 working for yea
          Russia, russia, russia

Nothing there, but that is still about all the libs want to talk about 1 1/2 years later. I'm more interested in what is in that new FBI memo. That at least will be new news.

Saw this about sanctions. Looks like Sen Cardin, a leader of Foreign Relations Committee and a Democrat is satisfied for now:

WASHINGTON, January 30. /TASS/. The US administration held a classified staff briefing for the Congress on sanctions against Russia. This is according to a statement made by US Senator Ben Cardin, who is Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

"The administration provided a classified staff briefing today on US diplomatic efforts toward this end and I appreciate the administration’s engagement with Congress on this issue," Carin said.

The Senator reminded that the so-called "Russia sanctions law" includes "a provision which mandates sanctions on those who conduct significant transactions with the Russian defense and intelligence sectors unless they can show substantial reductions in this trade."

"I am not going to discuss the classified nature of these discussions but I am intently focused on these sanctions and will continue to conduct rigorous oversight to ensure that the Russian government’s ability to conduct this trade is significantly impeded," Cardin said.

"The US should be prepared to impose sanctions when the law is clearly violated. The administration should not rest in these efforts and I expect a frequent and regular dialogue on this issue," the Senator concluded.

More:
          http://tass.com/world/987463
          1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Originally posted by baylineguy View Post

Russia, russia, russia

Nothing there, but that is still about all the libs want to talk about 1 1/2 years later. I'm more interested in what is in that new FBI memo. That at least will be new news.

Saw this about sanctions. Looks like Sen Cardin, a leader of Foreign Relations Committee and a Democrat is satisfied for now:

WASHINGTON, January 30. /TASS/. The US administration held a classified staff briefing for the Congress on sanctions against Russia. This is according to a statement made by US Senator Ben Cardin, who is Ranking Member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

"The administration provided a classified staff briefing today on US diplomatic efforts toward this end and I appreciate the administration’s engagement with Congress on this issue," Carin said.

The Senator reminded that the so-called "Russia sanctions law" includes "a provision which mandates sanctions on those who conduct significant transactions with the Russian defense and intelligence sectors unless they can show substantial reductions in this trade."

"I am not going to discuss the classified nature of these discussions but I am intently focused on these sanctions and will continue to conduct rigorous oversight to ensure that the Russian government’s ability to conduct this trade is significantly impeded," Cardin said.

"The US should be prepared to impose sanctions when the law is clearly violated. The administration should not rest in these efforts and I expect a frequent and regular dialogue on this issue," the Senator concluded.

More:
            http://tass.com/world/987463
            Hmmm could it be that Trump, businesses and or his family "conduct significant transactions with the Russian defense and intelligence sectors" ?????

Comment

Another state department recommendation:
              https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1023620001
              Stay away from Mexico.
              Esteban
              Detroit, MI
              Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by SomeSailor View Post
                That's the State Department's job, to make recommendations to Congress and the Executive Branch on matters of State.
                Ugh. The law gave the Executive six months to issue sanctions. Those six months expire tomorrow. And it also allows the Executive to delay imposing sanctions for 180 days as long as it tells Congress that "the person is substantially reducing the number of significant transactions described in subsection (a) in which that person engages." *That* is what the State Dept just did, officially. They claim russia has lost huge deals, and that fits the criteria specified on section 231(c).

The law is here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...verview=closed

No "deferral", no "recommendation", and nothing "unconstitutional" either. That's why the Foreign Relations Committee is satisfied, it's all normal. We might hear about this again in six months though.
                Rafael Figueira
                1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

That's what I was trying to say simply. Nothing out of norm or unconstitutional.
                  Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Working...
                  X