Government Shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ksanders View Post

Your post makes no sense. Even if you are 100% correct in what you posted it makes no sense.

I’ll put some words in bold text so that we can think them and possibly spur some memories of our our 8th grade social studies classes. I am not sure if you studied American Government in your classes in Canada, but here in this country it is mandatory to become versed in the functioning of our government my friend.

Congress needs to pass legislation, so that the president can either sign or veto it.

Right now Congress has failed to pass any legislation because some in congress want to add DACA protections to the short term funding legislation needed to keep our government solvent.

The DACA issue is not a budgetary issue, it is a overall immigration issue. Once Congress passes immigration legislation then the president can evaluate that legislation and either sign, or veto it. During those discussicions and negotiations that the president can indicate to congress his intentions regarding any proposed legislation regarding the important issue of immigration, and border security, which are intertwined and linked subjects.

Right not we need to conmtinue our government, and the Democrats are looking pretty dam stupid for holding the nation hostage to protect illegal aiens.
    The nay votes in the House - Republican 20
    The nay votes in the Senate - Republican 5

Seems like bipartisan vs just Democrat opposition to me

Comment

Right not we need to conmtinue our government, and the Democrats are looking pretty dam stupid for holding the nation hostage to protect illegal aiens.
      Don't the Republicans look pretty dam stupid for holding the nation hostage to get them to now pay for a wall that Donald swore the Mexicans were going to pay for?
      Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
      2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
      12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

Your post makes no sense. Even if you are 100% correct in what you posted it makes no sense.

I’ll put some words in bold text so that we can think them and possibly spur some memories of our our 8th grade social studies classes. I am not sure if you studied American Government in your classes in Canada, but here in this country it is mandatory to become versed in the functioning of our government my friend.

Congress needs to pass legislation, so that the president can either sign or veto it.

Right now Congress has failed to pass any legislation because some in congress want to add DACA protections to the short term funding legislation needed to keep our government solvent.

The DACA issue is not a budgetary issue, it is a overall immigration issue. Once Congress passes immigration legislation then the president can evaluate that legislation and either sign, or veto it. During those discussicions and negotiations that the president can indicate to congress his intentions regarding any proposed legislation regarding the important issue of immigration, and border security, which are intertwined and linked subjects.

Kevin Trump is the problem you might not agree with it but his word or lack of trust is the issue. If he could be trusted then the budget might pass but he is going to address Daca or the Republicians will have to go nuclear to pass anything. Doing that would be a huge mistake as a change of 3 seats would give the DEMS the votes they need.
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by oakplank View Post
          Is that not what happens when unions force workers to go on strike.
          Don't hear much cretinism of unions by Trumpsters.
          These aren’t union members. These young men and women are our soldiers. So.... when a soldier is deployed to Afghanistan and his wife and kids are counting on that next check.... they can just wait.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Reality is the Democrats are forcing the government shutdown by voting against the CR. Tomorrow the American people will start experiencing the results, the pain, of the Democrats actions. They will ask why did this happen to the American people. They will be told that the Democrats are holding our nation, the American people, hostage (blackmail) to force our government into making illegal aliens (criminals) citizens. The people will ask why would the Democrats do that. They will be told, because the Democrats want the illegals to become citizen so that the illegal aliens can then vote for the Democrats in future elections. The people will ask why? Why would the Democrats turn against the American people, hurt the American people, for political gain? The American people will turn against the Democrat politicians and the Democrats will lose everything ... including American citizens who normally voted Democrat.
            2003 Bayliner 245
            2007 Sedona F21

Comment

The problem is the Trump haters need someone to blame.

And YES it is not lost on me that some of the most prolific posters here in the political section like to slam the president of a country they do not live in.

Myself... I think very little about Canadian politics. No, I never think about Canadian politics, since I live in, and pay taxes in, and vote in...America.

But... everybody gets an opinion, and I am happy to debate politics with everyone.
              As a Canadian, I have stayed out of the political debates as both sides are so entrenched that there is no convincing the other side that they are wrong. While Trump is not to blame for something that Congress has failed to do, neither are the Democrats. They are doing exactly what the Republicans would do in the same circumstances. The blame for the shutdown must rest with those few Republicans that voted with the Dems. Or am I totally misunderstanding how things work down there?

Comment

Originally posted by redskyjoe View Post

As a Canadian, I have stayed out of the political debates as both sides are so entrenched that there is no convincing the other side that they are wrong. While Trump is not to blame for something that Congress has failed to do, neither are the Democrats. They are doing exactly what the Republicans would do in the same circumstances. The blame for the shutdown must rest with those few Republicans that voted with the Dems. Or am I totally misunderstanding how things work down there?
                60 votes was still needed, so even if all repubs voted for it, it was not enough....so it really didnt matter what the repubs did, unless they knew they had the extra 10 dem votes...which were not going to happen...
                1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
                5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
                San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

• redskyjoe
                  redskyjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the correction. I thought a simple majority was all that was needed. My apologies for weighing in without all the facts.

The problem is the Trump haters need someone to blame.

And YES it is not lost on me that some of the most prolific posters here in the political section like to slam the president of a country they do not live in.

Myself... I think very little about Canadian politics. No, I never think about Canadian politics, since I live in, and pay taxes in, and vote in...America.

But... everybody gets an opinion, and I am happy to debate politics with everyone.
                I do live in the USA and own property in the USA and pay taxes in the USA. I also live in Canada own property in Canada and pay taxes in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Iproff View Post

I do live in the USA and own property in the USA and pay taxes in the USA. I also live in Canada own property in Canada and pay taxes in Canada.
                  And we thank you for supporting us down here

Comment

Originally posted by Iproff View Post

Cool!!! Notice I didn’t slam you or any of our other Canadian friends, just mentioned the fact.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY
                    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

• Iproff
                      Iproff commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes.
                      There are only a few that I treat them the same way they treat me. The others like yourself I just state the facts and am polite. But for a certain 4 people I would toss them an anchor if they were drowning

The 1:00 am Monday morning vote has been cancelled.
                    Senate sets noon Monday vote after it is unable to reach deal to open government

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	26904506_757473454448905_1483320097948441861_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	406694

Comment

• hookemdano
                        hookemdano commented
                        Editing a comment
                        well they dont really control the senate...there is that silly 60 vote rule thing

• donyt
                        donyt commented
                        Editing a comment
                        But, but, there is that silly "I know how to negotiate, believe me. That will never happen if I win" BS that you bought hook, line and sinker. If it would never happen because he is a negotiator extraordinaire, the best there has ever been. What happened. He wouldn't lie would he ?

Name:	IMG_1776.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	406704
                      Esteban
                      B-ham!
                      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Dems they never learn.

Schumer is vulnerable after this fiasco.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	406732
                          Esteban
                          B-ham!
                          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• Iproff
                            Iproff commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The military is an essential service .
                            If the shutdown goes on for weeks, about 1.3 million active-duty military will be expected to work potentially without pay. The military is currently paid through February 1.
                        Working...
                        X