Induction cooktop on a Princess Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Induction cooktop on a Princess Range

I’m converting the three burner top of my very typical Princess Range to a two burner induction cooktop. Removing the old sheet metal top and burners was straightforward as was removing the burner wires.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	EAC26B84-D2AE-4966-8BFF-01A74152FDD5.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	645157 I added a new 120v circuit for the cooktop to separate the cooktop power from the oven. The cooktop will be connected to the inverter circuit as the preferred source. Next came the critical first test fit.

Name:	1645A9E5-9794-4601-AD8F-E5D708B29AA4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	645159 Then came the surprising quick turnaround for the insert from National Marine Exhaust.

Name:	5331D6F3-A3FB-464E-BD69-28F4A8394960.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	645158 The fit is perfect so next came the cooktop. Click image for larger version

Name:	6855DA87-9CAC-4522-B6CB-D2F6D34FFE18.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	645156 Final test fit.
    I’m planning on replacing the control panel and having one made with only the oven control, an oven on light and the toggle for the light and rotisserie. Maybe a line drawing of a 38 profile where the burner knobs are.
    Of course the “wouldn’t it be cool withs” have started. I’m thinking some LED’s over the control panel would be nice, and having the name gently illuminated couldn’t hurt….
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Looks real nice Pete. Did the vent tube for the oven terminate at an old burner location? Did you have to modify that venting or just leave as is?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX" '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
    The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    My Misc. Projects
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

So far I left it as is. I noticed a couple of my friends (Sound Trek and Miss Maui) have newer models of the Princess range and have a tube that vents the oven towards the back.
      I got the circuit for the cooktop connected to the inverter and was able to test it first on Shore power then the inverter. It brought some water to a boil pretty quickly both times so I can clean up my mess and start oiling the decks.
      P/C Pete
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

I was curious if heat from the vent had any negative impact on the new cooktop. Could be diverted if so.
        Nicely done 👍🏼
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX" '93 2556
        My Misc. Projects

Comment

I was thinking the same thing, shorten the vent tube and install a 90 to vent through your back panel.

James
          1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
          Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
          Lowrance Electronics!
          Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
          Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
          AGLCA #8340
          MTOA# 7469

Comment

That’s part of my finishing up list. There’s no discrete part number shown fit the oven vent. In fact, the part isn’t even identified on the parts drawings available on line. So, I think I may have some extra exhaust tubing from my diesel furnace installation that would do the job well.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

A simple sheet metal diverter directed out the back or similar would likely do the job. If it actually needs to even be done.
              🤔
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX" '93 2556
              My Misc. Projects

Comment

I agree. I’m going to look at it Monday. I have an old boat hook that will make a great tube donor. I also have some sheet metal elbows that may fit. If not I can probably do something with a copper fitting.
                P/C Pete
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

I like Dave's idea of a sheet metal diverter, just something to get the heat shielded from the induction cooktop. Really nice install Pete!

James
                  1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                  Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                  Lowrance Electronics!
                  Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                  Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                  AGLCA #8340
                  MTOA# 7469

Comment

That looks really nice and is undoubtedly an easier conversion than installing a propane range. Good job Pete!

Greg
                    Newport, Oregon
                    South Beach Marina
                    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Gregg! Good to hear from you! Yes, the conversion was much easier than installing propane. The biggest challenge was not dropping all of those half inch long sheet metal screws and the nuts on the Albums bolts. I had to almost completely take the back of the stove off chasing those #@*&+%| things. Running the wire to add a separate circuit was much easier than I expected, I spent more time connecting it to the AC Panel than pulling it.
                      P/C Pete
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

I got it finished for now! It will be interesting to see what revisions the admiral will want. Deleting the now nonfunctional knobs on the control panel will be a project by itself.
                        There was a heat shield in the original configuration that I reinstalled and, after much thinking and looking at parts drawings, my oldest son asked if they made that range in a propane model. Bingo! An electric oven doesn’t need a chimney, but a gas unit does. So, to mitigate what heat does sneak out that tube, I took an old boat hook and used a hole saw the size of the chimney to cut a hole in a length of it Click image for larger version  Name:	91A69D56-C647-4920-AC9C-1B4BC3383019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.63 MB ID:	645742 Then it was time for some double backed rubber tape. The intended use for the tape is mounting body side trim on cars. I applied it to both sides and the back rail of the stove the the front and back of the cooktop, Then it was time for a deep breath and, Eurek, It works!

Click image for larger version  Name:	13948BB6-5EF1-4383-9AC7-D8B11A24B487.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	645741

Time to move this to the Completed Projects Forum.
                        P/C Pete
                        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Looks real nice Pete👍🏼
                          BTW, I believe all ovens whether gas or electric will have some sort of vent incorporated, otherwise the venting would push by the door seal likely causing the seal a short life.
                          Edit: looks like it’s more for the circulation of air in the “cooking chamber”
                          🤔
                          http://www.the-appliance-clinic.com/...cked_vent.html
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX" '93 2556
                          My Misc. Projects

Comment

Nice work Pete.
                            I did something similar fabricating a stainless frame and dropping in a cooktop. The oven vent stack was handled by shortening the stack and using a section of 1 inch stainless flex exhaust tube I found on Amazon. Also added additional 1 inch thick rock wool insulation to the top and rear of the oven to protect the induction top. I removed the controls for the burners and covered the front knob holes with a stainless panel secured with high temp silicone adhesive. Also left the selector switch functioning for the oven and cooktop. Bench tested the unit in the garage through many cycles to be sure the combination worked. i added vent holes to the sides of the range section where the cook top would sit and cut vent holes adjacent to those in the cabinet sides to provide air drawn in by cooktop's fan cooling system which vents to the rear of the cooktop. My wife is now happy that she can use larger pots and pans.

Comment

Nice work! I used double back tape to secure my picture frame to the stove then another couple of strips to secure the cooktop. I was talking to one of my sons yesterday and we talked about doing exactly what you did. Love the Chevy tape? We were talking about having a line drawing of the boat on the panel, and I just happen to have a chunk of stainless steel that I can buff up or brush finish. Now I need to go on the search for a graphic.
                              I like the rock wool idea. I’ll do that when I take it apart to remove the burner controls.
                              P/C Pete
                              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                              X