Another 3818 carpet replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 3818 carpet replacement

I’ve been wanting to replace the carpet since we bought Glauben. The plan initially was to replace all of the deck carpet, but the staterooms are going to have to wait. After removing the old carpet, I just couldn’t do carpet again. So, after looking at all sorts of flooring, I decided to go with teak and holly half inch plywood. I added a hatch for access to the midcabin cave and the bar is out and being updated. A new countertop, sink and fixtures is under construction.
    The “picture frames” around the hatches were mocked up and cutting and dry fitting the plywood was started this weekend. The two most difficult sections are the dinette and engine room hatch to galley steps and are complete. That was the progress this weekend.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Pete, that’s gonna look really nice buddy! You’re going to really appreciate that new hatch! It suddenly becomes a huge storage area that you can finally access!
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Yesterday we got the salon hatches cut and started on the rest of the deck. It’s really slow going, but most of the cuts to date have odd angles and shapes. We are getting to the “easier” pieces now. It probably would have been less challenging if we weren’t finishing each hatch with 1 3/8” teak frames, but I think the final product will be worth it.
      One challenge has been fitting against seemingly straight edges. Yeah.... it’s a boat and not everything is as square or straight as it looks. The helm cabinet has a taper that can’t really be seen until a straight edge is put against it. It’s only about 3” long and 1/8”, but it caused some wtf problem solving escape because the vertical fiberglass at the forward end of the settee does the same thing. They will be invisible by the time the trim is on, but still a challenge.
      P/C Pete
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Hey Pete, looking good! Can't wait to see the finished teak and holly. I'm still working on removing the bar cabinet for updates, any tips or tricks on removing it? I've removed the screws in the wine locker and from behind the icemaker, still can't get the cabinet to budge. Am I missing some screws somewhere?

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

My son took the countertop off first. It really is jammed in there. He had trouble with a wire clamp midway between the sink and forward end behind the teak backsplash. There are some vertical brackets in the aft inboard corner that really hold that corner in place. I disconnected the ice maker “leg” of the cabinet making it easier to get out the door.
          P/C Pete
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

• MacPhid
            MacPhid commented
            Editing a comment
            Pete, thanks for that, I'll tackle it again with a little more umph

James

Pete, She definitely is beautiful. I really look forward to seeing the finished photos. I would like to know where you got your teak and holly? We are throwing around several ideas for ours and haven't settled on any one definite solution.

Comment

PR, I bought it from Midway Plywood in Lynnwood, Wa. They get it from Edensaw, who wanted more per sheet, oddly enough. The price of about any exterior glued wood product is really going up in price due to a shortage in the glue. It may be that some of the components of the glue are sitting in containers waiting to be unloaded, but there’s a shortage of longshoremen because of Covid. My oldest son was telling me that OSB that’s usually around $15 per sheet is selling at $65 with a limited quantity. The point of this? We paid $290 per sheet for the first three and have ordered a fourth that’s going to cost $380. So, take your time.
            We are using half inch plywood and 5/4 teak lumber. The 5/4 lets us (my sons and me) split it using a thin curf blade and plane to a half inch for the details.
            P/C Pete
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

More progress today, then we ran out of large enough plywood for the galley. I expected this, and and additional sheet will be available Monday afternoon. Tomorrow we start the gluing process which should go reasonably quickly.
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Two of my sons and a nephew did some work on the boat yesterday evening. They fitted and glued the galley sole and dry fit the first hatch “picture frame”. It’s great having talented hands in the family.
                P/C Pete
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

Today, The boys cut the rest of the picture frame pieces except the engine room hatch cut to near size. They will start final trim and dry fitting next week. They ran into a couple of challenges due to the engine room bulkhead forming a high center that runs across the salon floor. It’s not noticeable under the carpet and only shows up when something flat is put over the top of the subfloor. It’s only an issue from the forward starboard corner of the engine room hatch outboard to starboard. It’s creating some creative jointery to mitigate, but we figured out a viable solution. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back at it late next week. I’m having surgery Monday to close up a wound from a surgery in October that refuses heal.
                  P/C Pete
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

That’s looking awesome Pete!
                    Jim Gandee
                    1989 3888
                    Hino 175's
                    Fire Escape
                    [email protected]
                    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Drilling the picture frame for dowels. The plan is to drill through the edge of each section of the frame, final fit and glue, then use the drilled holes as pilots for the dowel. The dowel should penetrate the plywood about 3/4” and keep the frame from flexing. That’s the theory anyway.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	66F8D4C0-610B-480F-8280-99DED337BDA0.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	996.4 KB
ID:	620209 Click image for larger version

Name:	76CC57EA-5AE5-40FC-B341-7CC586C58458.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	620210 The jig we are using is just wide enough for the work to slip through and marked by the inch for spacing of the holes.
                      P/C Pete
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

this is looking real nice. I especially like the "picture frame" approach for the hatches and the galley floor area looking so much bigger with the teak extended all the way to the guestroom door, this is going to be gorgeous.

What do you plan to varnish with?

Comment

The boys (my sons) are planning to lay down oil. I lobbied for LeTonq, but they are thinking of a more unvarnished type. They’re concern is lifting and chipping, but I don’t see it as a problem. I’m concerned about staining from spills. We are approaching a time crunch because Memorial Day is coming up fast and we are going on a yacht club cruise. The recoat sequence for any of the options is a huge tent pole.
                          P/C Pete
                          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                          MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                          X