No announcement yet.

3818 carpet replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow I have been missing out we are also in the process of putting in new carpet, added the hatch in the guest room and now reading about Pete adding the hatch in the salon i like that addition a lot, I'll be walking over and checking that out. When we bought the boat it had a leak and soaked the pad went to the local carpet store and the sold me a pad that is water resistant we are using that pad I'll post couple of pictures Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	616047 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	616048thanks everyone for the great ideas!
    Chad Schlotfeldt
    Arlington, Wa
    Kanaloa
    1984 3870 Yanmar 4LH-STE

Comment

Originally posted by CSS View Post
      Wow I have been missing out we are also in the process of putting in new carpet, added the hatch in the guest room ...
      thanks for the pic, if I have time I'll cut a hatch in there, probably about 1/2 the width you did. right down the center looking from the door to the cabinet

Comment

I started the fabrication of the cave hatch. The net hole is 16” fwd & aft and 22” across the beam.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

• sharpx
          sharpx commented
          Editing a comment
          nice, that looks good, wish I had done that - another day's project, it's a great mod.

We had big plans for today, but, most of the time was spent on prep, pulling staples and scraping old underlayment and then we managed to install the underlay in the salon and master stateroom, that was it, started at 9 and stopped at 6 with 1 hour or so lunch break, not much to show for but there was a lot of cleaning.
        I decided against using tack strips, all the ones that were there were rusted so probably not a good idea (the carpet was previously replaced in the salon, stairs and the area in front of the galley and master stateroom), instead will glue the carpet down just like the original was. Couple of pics from the salon with the underlay glued down, we had the hatches in place and glued to them as well, just need to cut it around the edges now with a utility knife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Salon_Underlay_1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	616231 Click image for larger version

Name:	Salon_Underlay_2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	636.3 KB
ID:	616232

Decided to keep the old underlay in the settee area as it is glued down quite well and is in ok shape (is a rubber type), would have been a real pain to pull and scrape it off of the non-skid fiberglass base.

Comment

• Pcpete
          Pcpete commented
          Editing a comment
          I found my black and decker random orbital, round, sander with 40 grit and very little pressure worked really well to remove the old glue. However, it was the original and pretty dried out.

not much progress, a bit done on the hull sides in the master. Port side is 2 pieces, starboard is 1 piece, only bottom part is glued (didn't get a chance to glue the top, it takes a long time to glue it and is quite tricky to bend it in a way in which you have room to apply the glue and keep it separated to tack up)

Name:	Master_top_NewCarpet_1.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	616393 Click image for larger version

Name:	Master_top_NewCarpet_3.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	616394

Name:	Master_top_NewCarpet_2.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	616395 Click image for larger version

Name:	Master_top_NewCarpet_4.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	616396

Name:	Master_top_NewCarpet_5.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	616397

Comment

• sharpx
          sharpx commented
          Editing a comment
          LePage heavy duty contact cement, both with a brush and spray (using spray for underlayment and where is hard to brush but the spray is expensive and you get a lot less for the volume).

• Dallas
          Dallas commented
          Editing a comment
          That is fantastic. I have to ask, how did you get the old covering off the hillside? I peeled it off the platform where the mattress lays in the second stateroom and that was terrible, is there some easy way to take it off the inside of the hull in the forward stateroom? Steam maybe?

• sharpx
          sharpx commented
          Editing a comment
          not sure what you mean by the hillside - the way I did it I cut at an angle (about 45 deg) along the sides and use a needle nose pliers to start peeling it. In the guest stateroom (not the master v-birth) if you're asking what I did for the carpet that's glued on the side of the bed, I cut as explained on the midship side along the wall and peeled the carpet off until I reached the headboard on the port side - there I reached behind the headboard and started peeling and I was able to pull the carpet out. Didn't use heat anywhere.

Looking good!
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Hello all. We are new here, just took possession of our 1993 3888 this week. Lots of deferred maintenance to be done.
          we pulled out some really nasty carpet in salon and staterooms and on between, now to put down new flooring. The carpet in the second stateroom was actually laid over the original carpet, and we discovered we were very glad the rest had been replaced sometime in the past, much easier to remove.
          PC Pete, very interested in what you will be using to lay down in yours. Also interested in details of the different hatches you and others have installed in the second stateroom and behind the indoor helm. Dimensions would be much appreciated.
          Has anyone removed the lockers in the staterooms to enable easier removal and install of the carpet?
          How did you all remove the “monkey fur” from the hull?
          how do you remove the padding over the master bed?
          will have more questions soon, thanks for the help.

Comment

• Sunnydude
            Sunnydude commented
            Editing a comment
            All my cabinets are removed apart from the shelves in my boat as we are stripping the wood and getting rid of dark stain. Definitely will make installing the carpet easier although the shelves are glasses to the walls.

• Dallas
            Dallas commented
            Editing a comment
            Was it difficult to remove the cabinets, what did that entail?

Dallas, Welcome! We are installing half inch teak and holly plywood everywhere except the staterooms. I’m going to install the stateroom hatch next winter when we do the staterooms. The lower helm hatch cutout is 22 wide by 24 long, then the picture frame to support the hatch with a one inch shelf takes a couple of inches out. We’ll be recessing the hinges and lift handles so everything is flush. The engine room hatch has been hinged at the starboard end for several years, a very good modification I’m very happy with. I’ll be putting weather stripping in the gutter created by the carpet removal around that hatch. The purpose is largely to reduce any noise or odors from the living area. I’ll be doing the same with the starboard helm hatch.
          P/C Pete
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Pcpete
            Pcpete commented
            Editing a comment
            Sharpx, absolutely correct. I’m going to the boat tomorrow and can probably make some measurements of how far mine is from the helm cabinet and the (now) outboard hatch. I accidentally got mine pretty well centered.

• sharpx
            sharpx commented
            Editing a comment
            Pcpete, I noticed that for some reason, although we both have a 1988 3818, the hatch by the helm is a lot closer to the helm cabinet than yours, quite annoying for me as it makes it that more challenging to put carpet on that 1/2'' or even less strip. I'm wondering if there are these differences throughout and Dallas should doublecheck before cutting (say the cave wall might be 4'' towards the port side and you end up with no room for the ledge), just a thought.

• Pcpete
            Pcpete commented
            Editing a comment
            I started with a reference hole drilled up from the cave, then measured from there to define my limits. Care must be taken to allow for attachment of the hatch “shelf”. I set mine up for one inch exposed with the rough cutout. The cutout picture frame is about two and a half inches under the deck so there’s room to extend the cutout. I’m going to have to provide some relief to the perimeter for proper hatch operation especially since it will be hinged. I’ll do that as the teak and holly plywood is being installed.
            Absolutely make a reference point. It will make life less stressful.
            My boat was built in Arlington, WA. I understand there was some variation of the interior appointments between the factories.

Not much progress, I finished all the underlayment (I replaced the new white looking one I put in the guest and master staterooms with the yellow one, the white one was poor quality and was breaking apart), cut all the pieces from the new carpet and laid down the first piece on the floor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	First_Piece_on_the_floor.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	119.6 KB ID:	618153

And since I hate the look of the red-dot heater I did something with it also (painted the bracket and front of the heater white and added a nicer cover)

Name:	Heater_Vent_cover.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	618155

Comment

Sharp, do you actually use the red dot? I never did thus I removed it altogether when I hinged the stairs for storage.
            Jim Gandee
            1989 3888
            Hino 175's
            Fire Escape
            [email protected]
            Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• sharpx
              sharpx commented
              Editing a comment
              I probably won't but it's there so I left it alone

did more work today, finished the stairs and the area in front of the master stateroom door and the guest stateroom

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hallway_1.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	618276 Click image for larger version  Name:	Hallway_2.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	618277

Click image for larger version  Name:	Guest_1.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	86.1 KB ID:	618274 Click image for larger version  Name:	Guest_2.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	618275

and I redid the bottom part of the stairs so it will cover the reddot frame (i painted it white but I didn't like the way it looked with the new register sticking out on the sides and with the screws visible

Just so you guys understand why I'm doing this, this is one of the before pics (and this is the area that had the carpet replaced at some point, everything else was original from 1988)

Name:	Before_Hallway.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	618279

Comment

Trust us. We understand exactly why you’re recarpeting! 😁
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• Pcpete
                Pcpete commented
                Editing a comment
                Plus one on that!

It is really time consuming. We are going to teak and holly plywood. Talk about time consuming! It took two of us all weekend to do the first two pieces. Yesterday we got the salon level hatch sections cut and dry fit. The hatches and edges are going to be trimmed with 1 3/8” of teak and all of the hatches on the salon level will be hinged using flush hinges.
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

• sharpx
                sharpx commented
                Editing a comment
                that already looks fantastic Pete, can't wait to see the final result

Great job as usual Pete!
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

a bit of a break from carpeting, I decided to replace the fugly galley sink (it goes with the project that I am throwing everything and the kitchen sink at it so it suits)

Before
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Galley_Sink_1_Old.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	618517 Click image for larger version  Name:	Galley_3_Old.jpg Views:	0 Size:	144.9 KB ID:	618518

Now
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Galley_Sink_2_wNew.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	618519 Click image for larger version  Name:	Galley_Sink_1_wNew.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	97.4 KB ID:	618521 Click image for larger version  Name:	Galley_Sink_3_wNew.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	618520

had to do a cutout but there was enough room

Click image for larger version  Name:	Galley_Sink_Cutout.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	618522

the cabinet and the new sink interfere for couple of inches so I have to figure out something there.

I have a couple of faucets on order so I'll try them out and see which one I like better,

Comment

• Pcpete
                  Pcpete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same colors and everything! A PO took the enclosure part of the cub cabinet out, so I rebuilt it without the sliders.

• sharpx
                  sharpx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I took it out to install the sink, now I'm thinking either get rid of it, shorten it, or reduce the height slightly to go over the sink edge at the back left corner of the sink, still thinking about it,

My sliders are heavily scratched (someone used a scratch pad of sorts to clean them, not me), the only point i see with that enclosure is to keep things from sliding around on the countertop, you can't store anything of significance in there. Without it there is a lot more counter space, which I like, on the other hand I do like the looks of it (sort of completes that empty "backsplash" which is good for nothing really.

• sharpx
                  sharpx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pcpete can you post a pic on how you rebuilt it (I mean how it looks now) - I'm considering getting rid of it or changing it and can use some ideas. Making it shorter is one option that is appealing to me but would be involved (meaning I'd have to use some dowels and join it plus re-cutting the angle on the top unless I have enough room to trim the ends, still undecided).
              Working...
              X