3818 carpet replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3818 carpet replacement

So i decided to bite the bullet and replace the carpet. Started in the guest stateroom, not much progress so far but it's on it's way so it will have to get done now, few pics of what I got done so far

Old carpet removed in the guest stateroom
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Guest_Old_Carpet_Removed.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	615721

New underlayment installed

Name:	Guest_New_Underlayment.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	615722

the 2 finalists for the carpet selection, although I like the look of the one on the bottom I will go with the one on top for 2 reasons: 1. it will be a real challenge to lineup and make those lines symmetrical, 2. it is about 1/2 rthe thickness of the other one (and 1/2 the thickness of the original).

Name:	Carpet_choices_2_finalists.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	615723

I'll post more pics as I make progress

You are not alone...I’ve started ripping mine out too. I started in the salon and have most of it pulled up. My oscillating tool and a mechanics lever have been the handiest tools thus far. Someone at Bayliner must have owned stock in a staple company because they were used liberally. I found that cutting along the edge of the wood on the hatches and stair end was far more efficient that trying to locate and pull each one. We have removed the wet bar and are doing some reconfiguration to it, and you’ll find that the vertical carpet detail on the starboard side goes from the helm to the sink. Since I’m got it out I’m going to replace both blowers and the fuel tank vent. I’m also moving the thermostat for the electric heater to near the sink rather than directly across from the heater.
    I’m going to add a hatch at the helm to access the cave at the end of the mid stateroom, and another in the mid stateroom between the door and locker. There’s a great space between the hull and deck to use as a produce and or beverage locker. With the water temperature in Puget Sound and the Salish Sea hovering around 50 degrees,
    We have decided to go with teak and holly plywood for the salon, galley and passageway up to the forward stateroom door. At the end of the day it was close to what we were looking at for carpet and we know how to install the wood. You’ll find the hatches have a half inch gap with the carpet removed so I’m planning to install weather stripping and have the new deck overlap the opening. Btw, I hinged the engine room hatch at the starboard end and added a gas lift. It’s a whole lot easier to get to the top of the engine. Once I did that, I realized that if I rebent the dipstick tube and routed it to the top of the engine I wouldn’t have to climb around to check the oil.
    I’ll take some pictures today and post them.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Originally posted by Pcpete View Post
      You are not alone...
      I’ll take some pictures today and post them.
      Well, all that (what you mentioned) was on my list and you make me jealous, including cutting/moving the bar to only the aft side (get rid of the L on the starboard) and adding a 2nd hatch to the starboard engine outer side - but, I decided that would be the next time I do the carpet, I have other priorities and I really want to put it in the water in May

I'm using a utility knife to cut the carpet and underlayment under all the boards and cabinets/lockers (at about 45 deg angle) then pulling the fibers from the top side under the edges with a needle nose pliers to make room for the new carpet to fit under, seems to work best for me, and also picking all the staples 1 by 1 on the hatches, i know it's a pain but I have to remove them anyway.

I was thinking about what's between the port stringer and the cabinet in the guestroom, oh well, too late now for that but I would love some pics for next time the carpet comes out.

I thought about the same thing regarding the "cave" in the guestroom, why isn't there a hatch in the salon, seems a way easier option to access all that space, but then I have to think of priorities and trying to keep the rabbit hole out of the project

Comment

Sharpx, when I recarpeted my 38 I found it was much easier to work in the forward berth with the bed lifted up off of the floor. I unscrewed it then lifted the frame above the level of the combing. I cut two 2x4’s the proper length and laid them across from side to side then set the bad down on the 2x4’s. I used regular tack strip around most edges. Where I couldn’t use the tack strip, like on the stair I carefully stapled (SS staples) using a pneumatic stapler. NOW is the time to add the hatch you speak of to access the mid berth storage area. I added that hatch and that’s where I store my tool box.
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

• Sunnydude
          Sunnydude commented
          Editing a comment
          That is my plan! I have my carpet carpet templates for the walls and floor. Figured with it would be easy enough to put up on 2x4's.

Pete, what was involved to remove the bar? Is it just the 3 vertical wood strips holding it in place? How tightly is it wedged in?

If anyone has a photo of the size of the guest stateroom floor storage locker I’d love to see them.

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

• Sunnydude
          Sunnydude commented
          Editing a comment
          I am heading to my boat tonight and will take some pictures with measurements of the hatch we installed to access the guest locker. One of the best modifications to date.

• kwb
          kwb commented
          Editing a comment
          Another good one to do when recarpeting is to break loose the stairs to the galley and hinge them at the bottom. Works great to store about 5 12packs of soda.

And that is with the Red-dot still in place. I wish I had removed it when I had the chance.

Another good one to do when recarpeting is to break loose the stairs to the galley and hinge them at the bottom. Works great to store about 5 12packs of soda.

And that is with the Red-dot still in place. I wish I had removed it when I had the chance.

yes! I also hinged both stairs and removed the red dot heater. With the diesel heater the red dot was never used. Besides, one could always start the Jenny to run the electric heaters while underway if need be.
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

I'm out of time to do mods unfortunately, lots to do between now and Friday when I have 2 friends helping me with the carpet install but I will at least look at doing the guest s/r hatch (I'll decide once I see the pics and if I have time). Jim_Gandee I wish I have read this before heading out to the boat, I cut around the bed and will be using tack strips - I did the same under the elevated storage shelving (whatever that's called) and around the cabinets, since that's got no underlayment no tack strips there. I bought adhesive cement spray for that purpose.
          Here's the progress, removed the carpet in the master stateroom today

Name:	Master_Stateroom_Carpet_Removed_1.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	615853

Name:	Master_Stateroom_Carpet_Removed_3.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	615854

Name:	Master_Stateroom_Carpet_Removed_2.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	615855

And I layed out everything to figure out how much carpet I need, that's 15 ft in length (measuring tape is on the length) on a 12ft wide pattern. To that I need another 10ft for the salon (with a bit of room to spare)

Name:	Cut_Layout_for_12ftWide_CarpetRoll.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	615856

I know, the carpet is disgusting (why I'm replacing it, is beyond any hope), but I just bought the boat so don't blame me

Comment

• Sunnydude
            Sunnydude commented
            Editing a comment
            I ripped my carpet out and have made new templates. Nice to have your old to template from. Good luck!

I finished pulling up the salon floor carpet and sanding the dried glue. A DA sander and 40 grit paper worked well.
          P/C Pete
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

I finished pulling up the salon floor carpet and sanding the dried glue. A DA sander and 40 grit paper worked well.
            So maybe stupid question, what happens if you don't sand the old glue, scrape the surface to remove the loose bits and use a spray contact cement for the underlay? You're probably guessing why I'm asking, that's what I did in the guestroom and now I'm concerned :-o,

And was that heater vent there when you got the boat or did you replace it? (I'm looking for something like that, the ones I have are butt ugly)

Comment

• kwb
              kwb commented
              Editing a comment
              The staples you will feel but I have never bothered with sanding off the glue, just added a pad and then carpeted over it all.

• sharpx
              sharpx commented
              Editing a comment
              kwb interestingly enough there aren't any staples in the guestroom and master stateroom, only glue (except for the hatch edges), plenty in the salon but that carpet has already been replaced

Originally posted by Sunnydude
            I am heading to my boat tonight and will take some pictures with measurements of the hatch we installed to access the guest locker. One of the best modifications to date.
            Sunnydude - please post those measurements and pics, I'm really considering that mod now that everyone said it, that would be helpful rather than guessing where to cut

Comment

Sharpx, the heater was standard equipment. However, I replaced the guts in all of mine with King Pikawatts. I just retained the can and grill. The thermostat was located directly across from the heater on the bar cabinet. With the rebuilding of the cabinet, the thermostat is being moved to a more central place.
              The cave is about 31x31. I’m considering the inboard end to be accessible from the bed, so have laid out a 18x24 size hatch more toward the outboard, most difficult to get at, end of the cave. I may revise that to 24x24, it’s all in pencil right now.
              I’m removing the glue because we are laying down teak and holly plywood and have to do some leveling of the deck. My crew and I are discussing whether to glue the half inch plywood down or screw and plug, or a combination. My hesitation with glue is if I have to pull it up for a major repair, like the potable water tank. I’ve done a repair on it (coated the inside with food grade epoxy) and it should be good for a long time.
              P/C Pete
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Floor Click image for larger version

Name:	D6FD6F23-0EC9-4735-AF13-ED686C0F027E.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	616006 Click image for larger version

Name:	D99635DF-C9F1-425C-B61A-8DD7AA072D82.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	616007 after lifting forward berth bed then the bed in place after carpet was down. Sorry for the poor lighting pics.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
                  Floor... after lifting forward berth bed then the bed in place after carpet was down. Sorry for the poor lighting pics.
                  nice job, that's what I should have done but I was really concerned about lifting the bed, next time will go this route if I still have the boat by the time i need to replace the carpet again

Comment

Sunnydude - I'm still eagerly waiting for those pics and measurements, I might do it tomorrow but I was hoping you'll share the location so I can eliminate the guesswork. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Pcpete
                      Pcpete commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Contact Cool Beans. He added the hatch in the guest stateroom recently and lives aboard.

• sharpx
                      sharpx commented
                      Editing a comment
                      too late, I'm installing the carpet tomorrow, gluing the underlayment today.

Sharpx, the heater was standard equipment. However, I replaced the guts in all of mine with King Pikawatts. I just retained the can and grill. The thermostat was located directly across from the heater on the bar cabinet. With the rebuilding of the cabinet, the thermostat is being moved to a more central place.
                    The cave is about 31x31. I’m considering the inboard end to be accessible from the bed, so have laid out a 18x24 size hatch more toward the outboard, most difficult to get at, end of the cave. I may revise that to 24x24, it’s all in pencil right now.
                    I’m removing the glue because we are laying down teak and holly plywood and have to do some leveling of the deck. My crew and I are discussing whether to glue the half inch plywood down or screw and plug, or a combination. My hesitation with glue is if I have to pull it up for a major repair, like the potable water tank. I’ve done a repair on it (coated the inside with food grade epoxy) and it should be good for a long time.
                    I like the same size hatch as the other one (the way you penciled it, next to eachother, it will look good).
                    I would go with glue but you're right about the major repairs. The only other option is to install a floating vinyl floor like plasteak, i have no first hand experience with it but pics look good, i was thinking of doing that with their 4 winds rose in the center of the salon.
                    Looking forward to see the finished job, I'm sure it will look amazing.

Comment

Working...
                    X