Master Stateroom and Head remodel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Master Stateroom and Head remodel

What started as a wallpaper removal project in December, has turned into a full remodel of our master stateroom and head. Upon tearing off wallpaper on the wall to the head, discovered a previous owner covered up water damage from a leaking hatch. This necessitated the replacement of that section of wall. Decided while we were at it to replace all the carpet (previous replacement left carpet under bed), remove the dark stain applied to cabinetry, replace holding tank, custom water tank forward, new cabinet on Port side and anything else we can think of. Right now I am waiting on parts to arrive and in the meantime am replacing port-light seals and resealing the frames.
    Sean
    1987 3870
    Crimson Pride II
    Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
    MMSI: 338080226

Yep, it seems like we take on something seemingly simple and it morphs into a full blown job!

Looks like you are making Great progress! Please continue to post updates!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Not that I want your project to grow but....check the integrity of the plywood at the joint to the tub near centerline of the boat. Both the wall running fore-aft and crosswise.

BTDT - have the T-shirt.
      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

The Admiral wants to reduce the size of the fabric/foam 'headboard', but first had to remove the leopard print fabric, thick white vinyl and the original Bayliner fabric. Here messages contained lots of cuss words regarding the amount of staples used.

We will be using a teak edging to finish the shelf edge that runs the length of the bed.
        Sean
        1987 3870
        Crimson Pride II

Comment

• Pcpete
          Pcpete commented
          Editing a comment
          No sense taking a layer off, just add more....my old command bridge furniture had two layers of vinyl.

• CSS
          CSS commented
          Editing a comment
          We are in the process of redoing the headboard thinking about using flextrim from amazon

• Jim_Gandee
          Jim_Gandee commented
          Editing a comment
          I suppose it was popular at the time, kinda like avocado green refrigerators, but Bayliner sure did use some godawful pastels and greens!

Holding tank removed last night and new one in. Bayliner put a single board up the middle that was sagging about 3/4” at corner of shower. I couldn’t deal with that so it came out. Redoing hatch as it doesn’t need to be long and skinny anymore.

Macerator replaced as well. New board and hatches being cut tonight and painted. Hopefully get to the carpet next week.
        Sean
        1987 3870
        Crimson Pride II

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnydude View Post
          Holding tank removed last night and new one in. Bayliner put a single board up the middle that was sagging about 3/4” at corner of shower. I couldn’t deal with that so it came out. Redoing hatch as it doesn’t need to be long and skinny anymore.

Macerator replaced as well. New board and hatches being cut tonight and painted. Hopefully get to the carpet next week.
          These little projects seem to be a gift that keeps on giving., Glad you are making progress!

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Tank is in and additional supports added for the panel. Forgot to purchase PVC primer so final hookup is delayed. Re-ran the vent hose to the underside of master sink. Much shorter and straighter run.

Not sure why Bayliner didn't secure the 2x4 that is the port side support for the hatch to the front bulkhead and the 2x4 glassed in forward. We added supports for this and the deck is solid!

Now onto the fun wallpapering and rebuilding.
            Sean
            1987 3870
            Crimson Pride II

Comment

Slowly making progress. Fractured foot on Easter has kept me from working.

Yesterday we completed putting in the foam back vinyl on hull wall and ceiling in the head and hung 90% of the wallpaper in the head. This weekend will be reassembling the head so I can join every other 38 owner in 2021 replacing carpet.

Previously replaced the main hatch over the bead from Bomar to Lewmar. Not as dark but an exact fit and will be installing the combo shade/screen. Couldn't locate Lewmar hatches for the head so had to order Bomar replacements.
              Attached Files
              Sean
              1987 3870
              Crimson Pride II

Comment

• Pcpete
                Pcpete commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking good! Those Easter Egg Hunts can be really dangerous.
                Where did you get the wallpaper and what type? I scorched the lower part of the head door when it got left open and the heater was running. I’ve been thinking about how to repair it ever since.

• ksanders
                ksanders commented
                Editing a comment
                Your project is coming along nicely!

These head remodels are a BEAR!

Pete...we bought it from Lowes (only available online). We bought Element 56-sq ft Stone Vinyl Textured Solid Unpasted Paste the Wall Wallpaper

Item #: 705170

Being able to roll the glue onto the walls and then install is a blessing. This will be replacing all the wallpaper in the cabin.
              Sean
              1987 3870
              Crimson Pride II

Comment

• Pcpete
                Pcpete commented
                Editing a comment
                Thx

Update after this weekend. Have a functioning head again (can't wash your hands yet) but I can now move on to the carpet installation. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-7180.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	619798
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Pano wallpaper.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	619797
              Attached Files
              Sean
              1987 3870
              Crimson Pride II

Comment

Sean,

The updated head looks fantastic. What did you use for the countertop?

James
                1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                Lowrance Electronics!
                Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                AGLCA #8340
                MTOA# 7469

Comment

• Sunnydude
                  Sunnydude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We went with Granite Transformation. Relatively inexpensive.

Name:	04F80E48-1279-43FA-BF5C-9C1525376C1C.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	620160 Click image for larger version

Name:	A4F19841-8B36-422A-BA9B-0EE735A556E3.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	620159 Progress today! Port lower carpet and entire starboard carpet glued in. Almost 2 gallons of trowled glue. Template is made for the floor. Still hoping to get new water tank installed next weekend.

cant find my sink drain so only a picture to show what it will look like.

Name:	53A3B532-8426-4059-9B2C-A58E62FF5126.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	620161
                we are replacing the mirror at head of bed with vinyl flooring. It will cover the side shelves as well. Not the best picture but you get the idea.

The shelving that normally covers the portholes is not going back.
                Sean
                1987 3870
                Crimson Pride II

Comment

Sunnydude - wow !

I thought my project is big, you really took this to the next level, looking real good and will be a stunner once you're done with it.

What did you use to replace the walls? I have water damage in the shower/tub area and that will be most likely the next project, and of course the ugly wallpaper.

Comment

• Sunnydude
                    Sunnydude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am assuming what type of wood? I have used just marine plywood. All of the wood if not receiving a finish, has been covered with two coats of oil based Kilz primer. Only wall I had to replace was the master head after prior owner covered up damage. All others are solid.

• sharpx
                    sharpx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ah, I see - i thought it was some kind of board (looked like that from the pics with the primer on it)

Sunnydude - another question for you, you're fixing your portlights, what gaskets are you using please, I'm on the same path (already removed all of them) and I'm struggling to find something that is stiff enough (closed foam is relatively soft and it collapses in time so it won't work long term) - I'd appreciate any info you can provide.

Comment

• Sunnydude
                    Sunnydude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My attempt at repairing was trumped by the Admiral wanting new ones. I have new Lewmar port lights ready to install.

That being said, I did order some gasket that was closed cell foam from McMaster Carr with the 3M and when installed and tested showed no leaks and looked good. https://www.mcmaster.com/93085K52/ I found the leaks then came from the gasket holding the lens in which was disappointing but could be remedied by using some LifeSeal black caulking. I have some pictures that I can send you showing the lens installed.

• sharpx
                    sharpx commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that would be great if you can send the pics, thanks Sunnydude

So I have bought the same type gasket as you did just mine is 1/2'' and also bought the rectangular one at 3/8'' height - the latter is the same thickness as the stock but my concern is that it will collapse in time and have no pressure left to seal, since I don't really have an option I might just try one and see if it holds (not install it, I have the portholes taped with waterproof tape and a kitchen drawer liner sticker (the tape on the edges, sticker first and is for looks more than anything since just with the tape looks really weird).

Lookin great Sunnydude!
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]
                  Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Working...
                  X