3788 Diesel Hydronic Heater Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3788 Diesel Hydronic Heater Installation

Approximately 3 years ago, back in between Caspian's purchase survey, revised offer acceptance and delivery to me I got a great deal on a brand new in the box Webasto DBW 2010 for $600. It was from a distributor who had retired and was sitting in his garage, a left over. I learned of it when I posted on the Catalina 28 Owners forum about my planned installation of a red dot heater. The seller suggested I should buy and install it on my 28. It was serious overkill for a 28 foot sailboat. But I recalled of it when I was purchasing Caspian and scooped it up. I had no idea how big the thing was and expected it to be an easy install on the gigantic 3788 (comparatively). I am finally able to move forward with the purchase of the rest of the system through Sure Marine Service in Seattle. I can't praise SM and David Anderson enough for helping me through hundreds of email exchanges as I developed the layout of the components on the boat. Yesterday I pulled the trigger and ordered the rest. This stuff ain't cheap! 17 line items, some in multiples of things from switches, tubing, sealants, exhaust parts, tanks, valves, water treatment, fuel filter. Anyway, here we go! I'll update this post as soon as I get going starting with the boiler install first. Stay tuned.
    Tony Bacon,
    Washougal, WA
    Caspian, MMSI 338355743
    1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Hey Tony, did you get that project done? I've been adding the salon heatpump on the 3888. It's amazing how many parts/pieces/trips these projects take!

Comment

After hearing how not fun it was for the Admiral for me to be constantly working on boat projects I pushed that project back. My goal for this week is to take that back up starting with getting yes, more parts. I need to have mounting brackets fabricated for it. Many of my projects include just as much time running back and forth to the hardware store as I spend doing the actual project work. Often because if plumbing is involved I become gender confused and get the wrong fittings and have to go back to exchange them. It is crazy.
      Tony Bacon,
      Washougal, WA
      Caspian, MMSI 338355743
      1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

The time allotted to working on the boat is always a subject with my Admiral. Time is calculated on a portal to portal basis which costs me an hour and a half of her estimated allotment each time. It really doesn’t matter what I’m doing, I get the same thing if I’m working on my muscle car or the house. Your observation about time on task vs time getting stuff is right on. Even with the best planning I still end up chasing down some minor part that has the project shut down.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tube Route Master Hanging locker.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.13 MB ID:	633252Finally making headway on this project. Attaching a pdf drawing that more or less indicates the location of the components and plumbing. Some minor details are omitted such as drain valves and the water filter. The plan view is from above so you can't see details such as the Expansion tank mounted high up in the guest stateroom hanging locker where it will be the highest component in the system. It will be mounted on a sliding shelf so that it can nestle as far towards the hull side as possible which will not interfere with clothes hanging in there. I must slide out for filling to come out from under the side deck indentation. The tubing leads up from under the floor of the closet to the tank some 4 -5 feet, one on each side and will allow the movement of the tank on its shelf as described. Also not visible are air hose routes from the salon air handler to vents in the skirt of the settee in the center and forward areas.

So far I have: 1. holes under aft settee seat where the salon air handler tubes (using wirsbo) route through. 2. Air handler cut into master stateroom with 3. holes drilled and sealed for tubing routed in through guest stateroom hanging locker through cabinet and down under guest birth into engine compartment. Next up will be more drilling through stringers to route tubing for the expansion tank located aft center of the engine compartment and is the lowest mounted component and of course these will also be sealed with epoxy. Then I will mount components while running the tubing.

An advantage of the wirsbo is cost savings compared to hose and higher flow than pex of the same size due to expansion versus crimp connectors. At my current rate I'll finish in one to two months although I get Columbus day off work and should make good headway on that day. I only get a few hours per week available for this project and for every hour executing I swear I take 2 hours reconfirming what goes where and how it will all connect.
          Attached Files
          Tony Bacon,
          Washougal, WA
          Caspian, MMSI 338355743
          1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Looks great. What size tank are you using? I'm installing a similar size Autoterm / Planar unit right now.
            Irony
            1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
            Portsmouth, NH

Comment

I was advised to have at least 10 gallons in the system for the Webasto DBW2010. To get there I have a 3 gallon expansion tank and a 5 gallon buffer tank. The other 2 gallons fill the 100 feet of 3/4 tubing and the water heater.
              Tony Bacon,
              Washougal, WA
              Caspian, MMSI 338355743
              1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Very nice Tony! I really like that you are going the extra mile and protecting the hoses where they pass through an bulkhead from chafe damage.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Had Monday off due to a Holiday. Also worked Saturday and made good headway. I think it may be my age that every time I am about to commit by drilling or cutting something I revisit the overall plan to make sure I'm not painting myself into some sort of planning corner. I am probably on my 20th iteration of my overall plan. Did I already mention that the boat is almost not big enough to accommodate this system? So now I have the salon and master stateroom air handlers in place and plumbed. I also have the expansion tank shelf ready along with the summer valve and tubing routed through the guest hanging locker. Sorry forgot to take a picture of the tubing and valve in the bottom of the locker. The expansion tank sits on a shelf on drawer slides so that I can pull it out from under the overhang for filling. It doesn't quite recess far enough back to allow for full size hangers in front of it. I could coax another couple of inches but truth be told I don't think I'll ever hang more than 2 persons worth of foulies or what have you to dry in there so I think its fine. Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211011_145654472.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.77 MB ID:	633608 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211012_000347939.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	633609 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211011_220625304.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.23 MB ID:	633610 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211011_015715454.MP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.16 MB ID:	633612
                  Attached Files
                  Tony Bacon,
                  Washougal, WA
                  Caspian, MMSI 338355743
                  1997 3788 Cummins 250hp

Comment

Working...
                  X