Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everybody I'm a new member and have used this site reading topics on Bayliner 32xx and 38xx and it was very helpful. My plan is to purchase a 3870 or a 3888 and live aboard in Vancouver Island, but first my concern is finding a live aboard marina.

I have come across 2 Bayliner one is a 1985 3870 with Chrysler/Nissan engines and the other is a 1989 with Hino's both in Anacortes. Any advice would be greatly accepted as I'm all theory and no experience.
    Thank you in advance.

Wow! Vancouver Island is kind of a large area to look at marinas. Care to narrow that down a bit? We have members living aboard in Victoria and Nanimo for starters. When I was looking for our 38 I only had a few must haves on my list. The 175 Naturally Aspirated Hinos, genset, extended hardtop and good bones. I knew that I would be doing a lot of cleaning and making up for the boat sitting for years. The history of the boat was it was in charter service for 12 years which I consider a plus because the maintenance and care is better than most owners, then it was sold to a couple who used it a lot for the next twelve years or so until she passed away. He lost all interest in the boat and it went up for sale, probably for too much money because it sat, got dirty, the port engine lost a riser and had to be rebuilt and a mistake was made in reassembling the head. The engine ran well but smoked like crazy. He found another buyer and when he started the starboard engine the riser failed. At that point he sold it to the first guy who would take it. Owner number three cleaned it up, got the engines straightened out and, I think, found it was more boat than he could use. We bought it three and a half years ago with 3400 hours on the meters and have been putting about 175 hours a year on it since.
    My point in that long narrative is don’t get hung up on the number of hours showing on the meters. The 175’s are robust reliable power plants. Parts are available, these engines are used in trucks, busses and industrial generators all over the world. The manicooler, a combination heat exchanger and exhaust manifold needs to be cared for by changing the coolant at least every two years because any acidity could attack the manicooler or the copper injector liners.
    I’m personally not fond of the Chrysler Mitsubishi engines but it has more to do with our minivans that are long gone and dealing with a particular division as a supplier. They are going to have a slower “high speed” cruise, but remember, these hulls were designed as 8-9kn boats. Then fuel prices came down and larger and larger engines were installed.
    The all theory and no experience part bothers me from the standpoint that you have a lot to learn. With any boat, maintenance is the key. If you can do your own and do it correctly, it’s a big deal. As you get closer, we can guide you to some educational opportunities.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Daviesb
      Daviesb commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it was a bit vague, looking between Nanaimo and Victoria, I have started contacting marinas within the area and getting on there waiting list. Seems you waited a while on the 38 you have, I have made the mistake of jumping in on a boat purchase that I did not do my due diligence on, that was a 19ft bayliner Capri with a Force outboard engine what a nightmare but learnt a lesson the hard way. I have to explain that my theory comment was meant towards buying a boat this size and do apologise for the misconception as I have owned a few over the years but all under 30ft the biggest being a 28ft sail, but my next purchase hoping to be my last, but my first diesel. I was considering a 32 but think it’s on the small side for a live aboard especially the fridge as fill it with a flat of beer and there would be no room for any food, just a small point.
      So looking for a late 80’s 38 with Hino’s and defiantly a hard cover over the cockpit and full canvas and a Bimini preferably fully enclosed over the flybridge, after that I guess there very much cookie cut except for mods and upgrades and yes last but not least a full marine inspection. Anything further advice on this would be appreciated.

David, I probably waited fifteen or more years to get my 3818. Part of it was the willingness of the Admiral the other was the steepness of the ladder to the command bridge. One I got the go ahead, finding a better configuration in a price we were willing to pay was rough. I figured out how to repitch the ladder to an acceptable angle and still be able to get into the port lazerette. After that it was only a few weeks.
    There’s a 38 at Dagmars in Everett that’s been on and off Craig’s List. We can talk about it by email or anything else. I just sent you a PM with my email.
    Contact Bobhicks by PM. He lives aboard in Nanimo half of the year, then goes to Ontario to freeze his butt off for the winter. Also, BryGuy lives aboard in Victoria. Both have 38’s.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Hi David as Pete said I have a '92 3888 on the Island that I keep in Nanaimo at Stones Marina. There are a few live aboards there and worthwhile checking out. Georgio also has his 3818 there as well. You should contact him as well as he just bought his last summer and has been through a lot so can offer some excellent advice. We like Stones very much for a number of reasons. First off there is a finger on both sides of your boat. That is a biggie for us and the only marina we have found so far that offers that. Second Stones boat yard is one of the biggest on the Island and has a chandlery on site and I have noticed most of the prices are cheaper than the Harbour Chandler in town. The people that run the marina are friendly and easy to get along with. As far as we are concerned Nanaimo is the best location wise, right across from Vancouver, at the north end of the Gulf Islands and San Juans to Victoria and Seattle to the south and easy striking distance to Princess Louisa and the Broughtons etc. To my eye we are at the centre of all the great cruising grounds. This spring we will be selling our house here in Ontario and moving to the boat we like it so much. Feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions. I hope to see you soon.
      P/C Bob Hicks JN
      Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
      Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
      Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
      Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
      Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Witam. Mam na imię Adam urodziłem się w 1963r
        Mieszkam w Europie w Polsce w mieście Lublin
        Posiadam Bayliner Capri 1989r 2.3 L
        Będę prosił o pomoc techniczną dotyczącą budowy, części i wyposażenia Bayliner Capri z 1989r bo w Europie to wielki problem.

Comment

Cześć Adam, napisałeś w złym miejscu. musisz utworzyć nowy temat. Otrzymasz także więcej odpowiedzi, jeśli opublikujesz wiadomość w języku angielskim. Możesz otworzyć google translate i napisać tam, a on przełoży się na angielski, a następnie możesz wyciąć i wkleić go w poście.
          P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

Originally posted by Bobhicks View Post
            Cześć Adam, napisałeś w złym miejscu. musisz utworzyć nowy temat. Otrzymasz także więcej odpowiedzi, jeśli opublikujesz wiadomość w języku angielskim. Możesz otworzyć google translate i napisać tam, a on przełoży się na angielski, a następnie możesz wyciąć i wkleić go w poście.
            Bobhicks thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Adanio View Post

Bobhicks thank you
              Your Welcome and welcome to the BOC : )
              P/C Bob Hicks JN

Comment

Working...
              X