X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a living from your boat

Some Liveaboards are retired
    The rest of us need to make a living.

Do you work from your boat? Or work at a land based job?

I do both!

I work a rotational shift where 17 out of every 35 days I am working a 12 hour shift. The rest of the days I am off work. My job is about 150 miles from the boat making commuting pretty much impossible. During those days I stay at my home. The rest of the days I am off work and stay on the boat.

I also run a business with my wife. While I am working she runs our business and when I am not working I run the business. We are a wholesaler of industrial electrical equipment. When I run the business I do it from the boat. I have a office phone that connects back to the business Cisco PBX, so it is just like I was at my desk at the office. I can do this from anywhere in the world.

When I start cruising (in 18 months) I will retire from my land based job and run my business from the boat.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

I don’t know if I can claim working from the boat. I have an office on my boat but I only do administrative work there, about 45 min a day. All my real work is done in the field. What I don’t have is a daily commute, but I spend a significant part of each day driving.
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Thats a tough one. I work from the boat or anywhere for a long time now. the boat office is magnificient to be sure. the setup is dead simple now. Windows phone, plugged into a dock, keyboard monitor and remote into office desktop and customers server. at the marina wifi is no good, so have a cellular wifi device for the whole boat.

my issue is i dont want to work. i can bear being away with my wife in a nice spot and say i have to work, just cant get away from it these days. So i plan on being completly out of it before taking the next step. Now stuff happens and if i must well at least i can i guess?

Comment

Originally posted by michel View Post
        Thats a tough one. I work from the boat or anywhere for a long time now. the boat office is magnificient to be sure. the setup is dead simple now. Windows phone, plugged into a dock, keyboard monitor and remote into office desktop and customers server. at the marina wifi is no good, so have a cellular wifi device for the whole boat.

my issue is i dont want to work. i can bear being away with my wife in a nice spot and say i have to work, just cant get away from it these days. So i plan on being completly out of it before taking the next step. Now stuff happens and if i must well at least i can i guess?
        I agree with you. I don’t want to run my business from the boat, but I also want the financial freedom that earning a extra income brings. So I’ll answer the phone, and be happy that I am “retiring” early, even if it’s not really being retired.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

And i also agree, it's more freedom than before to be sure. I think i'll try out anchoring for a bit in a remote spot and see that is like, working while at anchor, might prove interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by michel
            And i also agree, it's more freedom than before to be sure. I think i'll try out anchoring for a bit in a remote spot and see that is like, working while at anchor, might prove interesting.
            I do it via my cellular router.

I can also conduct business via satellite, but I have to forward my office phone to my sattelite based phone.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Internet is fine if you're at a dock or within decent wireless range, but it gets expensive on the ocean using satellite. It rules out businesses that have to transmit much data unless you're panning gold from sea water. You pay for every bit or is it byte.

Comment

Originally posted by Lepke
                Internet is fine if you're at a dock or within decent wireless range, but it gets expensive on the ocean using satellite. It rules out businesses that have to transmit much data unless you're panning gold from sea water. You pay for every bit or is it byte.
                My Satellite plan gets bumped to the 2 gig plan for $995 per month for the three month fishing season.

It does not take many good sale days to make up for that kind of expenditure.

Once I leave Alaska the satelite plan will not get used as much, untill I reach Baja.

Also in remote areas the. ability to get on the inrternet and get a real forecast is invaluable.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Ill be geeking out in the new year on some stuff. ive got an ssb on board, ill be attempting to connect a proctor modem and aee if i can get the weather fax as well as email working. Kind of reminds me of the old days with the 2400 baud modems, dont see why it wouldnt work ok. can also make calls on that thing using an operator like we used to with the vhs before cell phones. Not for work of course, so should be fun.

Comment

I don't think the marine operators are active anymore. Most people on the ocean have sat phones now. So the SSB is just a radio now.

Comment

WLO offers the service. Only difference is its not the 'operator' from channel 16 that we used to get in the old days. Its a private company and they hook you up with ship to shore. Its .99c a minute, so jist like the old days where it was done collect at about the same price, but memory is fading on that point.

they also offer email service, so you can get that going as well if you figure out the whole pactor modem stuff. I wont rule out satelite but this seems nicer in a dificult to rationalize way.

Comment

A little off topic but on....I am living aboard part time as we built a new home 2 hours away from where we previously lived. I am a Sergeant with a local Sheriff's Department and for me to lateral to my 'home' jurisdiction would having me going backwards. So, I live on the boat during my work week and travel home. I suspect 5 more years of this lifestyle before I retire from law enforcement.

Being on the boat does give me a lot of free time (sometimes too much). If you entrepreneurs are looking for someone to work the Tacoma, WA end of things, I would certainly entertain it!

Cory

Comment

I have the best job! Retired! No work!
                          Destiny
                          Bayliner 5288
                          Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

Originally posted by ken5288 View Post
                            I have the best job! Retired! No work!
                            Ken I have to say that I can’t wait. That said age comes on fast enough all by itself!

I just turned 57 so I’m looking at 24 months, and feeling every year!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Kevin, You are right, don't wish your life away! I worked till 70, but did a lot of boating and travel along the way. If you can retire at an earlier age...go for it!!! Best Wishes!!
                              Destiny
                              Bayliner 5288
                              Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X