New boat alarm system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boat alarm system

With the demise of the Lowes iris system I get to build a new boat alarm system.

Here’s what the new alarm system is going to do

Monitor and report on shore power
    Monitor and report on inverter power
    Monitor and report on battery voltage
    Monitor and report on bilge water in two locations
    Monitor and report on fire, smoke, CO in five locations
    Monitor and report on intruders
    Monitor and report on temperature in six locations

Control Wallas diesel furnaces in two locations
    Control built in electric heaters in four locations
    Control warm air flow into the engine room

Sound alarm sirens and bells when an alarm occurs.
    Push notifications to mobile devices and email notifications when an alarm occurs

Here is how I’m going to do it.

The hub of the system is a device called “smartthings” by Samsung. Individual sensors and controls talk to the hub via radios using the Zwave and Zigbee protocols. Some of the sensors are powered by 12 volts. Some are powered by 120 volts from the inverter or shore power. Some are battery powwered.

The Smartthings hub talks to a server at Samsung. Mobile devices run the Smartthings App, and connect to the smartthings server completing the connection from the mobile device to the boat.

The smartthings hub connects to the smartthings server via redundant connections from my boats network. I can use one of three different connections, AT&T cellular GCI cellular (a local Alaska company), and KVH satellite. The connection used is automatically chosen by my Cradlepoint MBR1200B router via a priority system.

The parts are all on order, and are starting to arrive. I’ll update this every day or so as I get functions working on the bench along with photos of course.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Can you provide some cost info along the way? We live east of Seattle and Knot Home is at Skyline in Anacortes. I’d really enjoy the peace of mind some of these monitoring functions can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Beaverlake View Post
      Can you provide some cost info along the way? We live east of Seattle and Knot Home is at Skyline in Anacortes. I’d really enjoy the peace of mind some of these monitoring functions can provide.
      Of course!

The samsung Smartthings hub was $64
      The Shore Power and inverter power sensors were $59 each plus $11 each for a 120 volt relay
      Bilge water sensors ran $35 each
      Battery voltage sensor was $59
      CO and smok alarm combos were I think about $40 each (I already had these)

I’ll get more detailed as to model numbers etc... as I get things configured

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Will your system work if there is not wifi coverage?
        Scott Jones
        Sea Ray 440 Aft Cabin
        Liveaboard Start Date 1/May/16

Comment

Originally posted by SPJ8864 View Post
          Will your system work if there is not wifi coverage?
          The system depends on having a internet connection for notification.
          I do not use WIFI, I prefer cellular. I find it much more reliable.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Interesting topic. I'll be following closely. We just purchased a boat and will need to instrument it for a remote alarm/telematics.

Comment

The FIRST thing that people need to do, to enable not just alarming, but a lot of the services that we come to expect now days is to connect the boat to the internet with a always on connection, with your own “network” on the boat.

This is as simple as a wireless router, with your choice of connection methods. You can use WIFI from your marina as the internet connection for your boats router if you prefer. (I prefer a cellular connection myself) but you need to buy a router for your boat and set up the same kind of nework you expecct out of a land based home.

With that network the world of technology opens to you. Service like Roku and Apple TV for entertainment. Things like WIFI cameras for security. Things like a boat alarm system.

When I first built my boats network back in 2012 I think I was the only one in my marina. Now days I can scan for WIFI signals walking down the dock and Many of the boas have their own WIFI, generally broadcasting their boat name.

That is the first step though. Bite the bullett and put a network on your boat.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Agree with putting a cellular network on the boat vs. depending on marina Wifi. We are currently on the AT&T unlimited plus data plan which includes both Canada and Mexico. When we are traveling we just use the phone as a hotspot. That works on the boat as well as long as we are there but not for remote monitoring. The choice I see is going with one of AT&Ts mobile hotspots or with a separate LTE modem and WIFI router.

Comment

Started on the system yesterday. Very easy peasy to program!

The smartthings app is fantastic!

A note for those considering this system, do not buy the MIMO dry contact interface module from Fortrezz. They do not have a driver for the smartthings hub and are not updating the old one.

I’ll finish programming the modules in the next day or so and provide an update.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

We winter in the south and the boat is up north in a marina. I wanted to make sure that the boat was connected to Shorepower that the batteries were charged, no intrusions and the bilge pumps were activated. I installed boat command it took about an hour to install and does what I needed.
                    The good and bad:

good......, easy installation .... low price under $400 with shore power module and intrusion module about $80 annually for connectivity to cellular network this is the lowest cost subscription and will update the status of the boat systems 2 times a day and 50 on demand updates a year. The App seems stable and gives a good visual representation of the status of the systems that you choose to monitor ie: Bilge pumps, shore power, intrusion alarm. If there is an event it is logged and the specifics of the event are detailed on the app. It also has a geo fence and shows a Google earth type view with the position of your vessel marked.... With other modules you can control up to 3 devices.

Bad.... It does not push events in real time to your phone at least the minimum subscription I have. It is limited in the number of functions you can monitor and control remotely.

For my needs this works as well as anything I have seen for the cost.....

Comment

Not to go too far off topic - I hope - but does anyone have experience with the Wyze Cam 2? A colleague recommended this to me. It's $20. I got one and am very impressed with what it is out of the box. There's not much for integration out of the box - although they say they're working on it. Github does have some firmware mods.
                      1989 Bayliner 4588
                      Portsmouth, NH

Comment

That's pretty sexy stuff. because I have a metal boat, wifi sucks. I mean I have an lte cellular network, but need to add some extenders for each level, as the device is up in the pilot house. Are the new ones that use the ac power lines any good and do you know any specific ones that have proven reliable performers? Once I get that sorted, then I can move forward with he other goodies from you list.

Comment

Well, the new alarm system is in and working. I am TOO happy!

Here’s what it monitors and controls.

Bilge water - High water in either the foreward or aft compartments sounds the school bell and also sends me a push notification
                          Fire/smoke/co - The fire alarms all sound individually, plus they ring the school bell, plus they send me a notification.
                          Shore Power - If the shore power goes out I get a notification
                          Battery voltage - If the battery voltage goes below 12.25 volts I get a notification
                          Inverter power - If the inverter fails I get a notification (the alarm system runs on a UPS)
                          Temperature - If any temperature falls below 38 degrees I get a notification
                          Security - If there is a intruder, including the cockpit the alarm sounds and I get a notification.

The system also controls enbgine room temperature via a forced air fan from the warm salon, and a electric backup heater.
                          I can also turn on and off my Wallas forced air heaters
                          The three built in electric heaters are also remote controlled.

Pluss....

I can check on the boat’s status at any time using a wonderful APP on my Iphone and Ipad!

How did I do it?

www.smartthings.com

For the shore, inverter, and battery power I used Ecolink dry contact sensors.

Yippee!!!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Congratulations! I understand how you use the dry contact sensors for sensing shore and inverter power via relays. How did you implement the battery voltage (12.25V) sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by gsholz View Post
                              Congratulations! I understand how you use the dry contact sensors for sensing shore and inverter power via relays. How did you implement the battery voltage (12.25V) sensor?
                              Thanks for asking!!!

I used the alarm outut contact on my Xantrex SOC meter. I set the alarm function for 12.25 volts, but could choose a different voltage if need be.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                              X