Vacuum cleaners and Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacuum cleaners and Boats

As a 20+ year liveaboard you would think that I could add expert advice on vacuum cleaners. I have tried dust busters, midget carpet cleaners, mini uprights and cheap standard run of the mill types. I have never been impressed with any of them but they have all been adequate.

I realize smallerboats can get buy with a smaller unit but has any one out there found something that’s going to wow me with its small size and big suction ability?
    Azzurra
    Seattle, WA
    Ocean Alexander 54

Doubt it?. Ive a cordless electrolus, does the job, not great. I can do the main level, run out of juice then do the pilot house next time. Looked at the dyson cordless top of the line unit, its ok, but still seems so so. I do have a miele corded that is pretty awesome but just a tad awkward on the boat, so not

recomended either. My boat has no carpets so i dont need awesome, that helps. I would consider the corded if i had wall to wall carpets, but for hardwood not worth the trouble.

the shop vac on the boat is corded and is pretty typical for a shop vac for the dirty jobs, but would never use it inside unless its some crazy catastrophy.

the nice thing about the electrolus and some other cordless is the ability to use just the motor part, kind of a 2 in 1, with the stick you have the head and roller, or detach and have a handheld with the same power, handy to get under stuff, corners, edges and stairs.

Comment

We used this Oreck and it is okay but not great. It is easy to convert and works well as a mild blower or inflater.
      John
      1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
      (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

We now have this cordless Dyson that works much better...
        John
        1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
        (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

We use the Hoover Windtunnel vacuum. It is small enough to store, the handle can be removed for getting into those small area and makes it shorter for storage. Suction is very good and easy to clean. I have never been overly impressed by cordless and then there is the recharging which is a pain as there is never a place to plug them in where you store it on a boat, so one more thing you have to do.
          Here is the link to the one we have.
          Free Shipping. Buy Hoover Windtunnel Air Bagless Upright Vacuum, UH70400 at Walmart.com

Comment

My boat came stock with a pretty much wrthless built in vaccum cleaner. The day I hauled that thing off the boat was a happy day.

I picked up a shark bagless small household vaccume. About $125 or $150 if memory serves. It makes for happy vaccuming. Yes it never is completely out of sight, but then again it’s always handy.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Well Christmas bestowed me with a new Dyson V10 stick vacuum cleaner. My sister assured me I would be wowed. She was right. First it’s very light. Second, it’s cordless. Third, it has a unique hard wood floor attachment as well as the normal carpet attachment. The design of the Dyson allows me to get into tighter places. Most definitely it is faster, does a better job and takes less space than my old vacuum.

‘’Now for the bad news. These things are ridiculously expensive.

Azzurra
              Seattle, WA
              Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Originally posted by Tiltrider1 View Post
                Well Christmas bestowed me with a new Dyson V10 stick vacuum cleaner. My sister assured me I would be wowed. She was right. First it’s very light. Second, it’s cordless. Third, it has a unique hard wood floor attachment as well as the normal carpet attachment. The design of the Dyson allows me to get into tighter places. Most definitely it is faster, does a better job and takes less space than my old vacuum.

‘’Now for the bad news. These things are ridiculously expensive.
                HMMM.. I’ll have to look into that one. My Shsark is 8 years old and i suspect it’s in it’s final days.

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

i have also bought new vacuumm recently, it is amazing.

Comment

Finally broke down and got the dyson V10 as well today. The hard wood floor rollers do look like they will do a much better job. Well see on the weekend when i try it out.

Comment

I would advise looking for the highest power draw possible. That's how I shopped for my Scorpion. It's a hand-held vacuum and works Excellent for my purposes which is essentially edges and corners.

Picture:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	DirtDevilScorpion-7amps.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	516200

My Scorpion draws 7A and is Terrific at picking up everything. Originally I'd gone for the most power stingy units. They didn't work well. The Orek 12v one was okay until the motor burned out. Replacements did not fare long or well.

Kidlet has a Dyson. Then she had her carpets removed. The tile company said they had never seen a house with so little residual dirt under the carpet. There was a pile smaller than a dinner plate in her 1800sq' house. The Kidlet did upgrade to Roombas (two now) and absolutely swears by them. I mention the Roomba for those that are still living ashore.

As an aside there are two girls with long hair, plus dogs, a cantankerous cat named Nemo and, well, it's a busy house.

Side Note: After Hurricane Katrina came through Pensacola, our church was doing clean-up. Under a pile of debris was a single kitten. Neighbors said the mom and rest of kitties were missing. The pathetically skinny NOISY kitten came to us. Her name is Nemo ("Finding Nemo" movie) and years later she's still a bossy little thing. Er, larger now of course.

This is Nemo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NemoTree.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	516201

Comment

Well, it does work nicelly....however its an epic fail on batteries. Could not do the whole boat, and thats booging, fringin guy said 60 minutes on the battery, i got 15 using the hard wood attachent in max suction.

maybe i can buy a second battery pack like on my drill and salvage this thing.

Comment

15 min in max suction is right. Try the normal mode. I found that I didn’t need any more power than normal. Plus it’s a lot quieter in normal.
                          Azzurra
                          Seattle, WA
                          Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

60 min is possible only on low
                            Azzurra
                            Seattle, WA
                            Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Yeah, i get tired of all the bullshit and reading between the lines all the time. For a grand they could put a proper sized battery. Maybe ill add an 8D to that sucker and be done with it?

Comment

Working...
                              X