Age, Health and Living Aboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age, Health and Living Aboard?

64 now and really looking at the liveaboard lifestyle. We had a boat in Key Largo for 11 years. We would stay on it a few weeks at a time three or four times a year. One thing that concerns me is health, mobility etc... If there are amy retired liveaboards that would share their thoughts on their experiences I would certainly appreciate it. Just wonder how old is too old to do this? Thank you in advance for your help. JC

I have seen liveaboards in their 70’s.

The big issue is mobility. If you are mobile then you can liveaboard. I think liveaboard life helps with mobility as it keeps you active.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Mobility is what convinces older liveaboards to swallow the anchor. I have an 84 year old neighbor who recently put his boat up for sale. Diabetes is preventing him from being able to make the long dock walk. I have a 92 year old neighbor who still lives aboard.
      Azzurra
      Seattle, WA
      Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

I knew a couple well into their late 80's (she was 89 and he 91 when they swallowed the anchor)

You Sir are a youngster.

Comment

I'm 70, but lived on the water much of my life. I have some military disabilities that I push. Now I hire young gorillas to lift the heavy stuff. Otherwise I have no problem with usual supplies or running the boat. I still solo much of the time. While I have several heating methods, I burn wood pellets, the cheapest heat, about 4-5 tons a winter and still manage the bags. I don't intend to ever move ashore, no matter how tough it might become.

Comment

Thank you so much for your replies! GOD bless. JC

Comment

I am 70 an won't hesitate living aboard with my heath. I don't because my wife has kidney failure and other health issues which really restrict her mobility, so we sold our boat in 2016 and moved ashore. The only thing I would change this time I would buy a power boat, either a 5788 or a 5288, instead of a sailboat. I'd recommend you look for a boat you love and go for it.

Comment

This is a two year old thread, you might want to start a new one.
                Mike
                2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
                2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
                2000 Ciera 2455 sold
                Redmond, Washington
                The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

Working...
                X