X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by tlcarrico View Post
    I'm currently at Cabrillo Isle on Harbor Island, San Diego. I checked every marina when I arrived and no one has openings for live aboard. You have to get on a waiting list and they will take current members before opening up to anyone not already renting a slip. Mission Bay doesn't allow live aboard at all. At my marina, I am only allowed to be on my boat 10 nights a month and they do check your FOB activity so no sneak aboards. I pay $1025 a month for those 10 nights including the $55 dollars I pay to the Sheraton to use their pools and workout room which I have never used, but they make you pay for 6 months, even if you leave the marina. In addition, if you want decent internet, that's $39 a month not to mention my electric has been $150 a month or more because when I am here, I need heat...winters are very cold and rainy. The only marina that welcomes live aboard is California Yacht Club in Chula Vista, which seems like a pretty nice marina. As for me, I am leaving this state. Costs are outrageous and in the 6 months I have been here, the area does not outweigh the costs. Yes, also there is a property tax you have to pay for your boat as if it were a house and you have to pay 7.75% sales tax when you buy a boat as if you were buying a car...double taxation? Definitely look into Ensenada, MX...I hear it's beautiful there and very inexpensive.
    My travel plans are to go south from Alaska and end up playing for the winters somewhere south. Where that is I do not know, but I suppose I’ll know it when i get there.

I have heard nothing but good things about Ensenada. A 50’ slip at Hotel Coral is in the low $700’s and over at Cruiseport is in the $500’s. Have heard they welcome liveaboards as well.

Leave a comment:

• michel
    replied
    Thanks for the dose of reality. even when you can afford it, it's an irritant.

Leave a comment:

• Bentone23
    commented on 's reply
    They have already done it to Oregon and Washington.

• Lepke
    replied
    In California, you'll also have about a 10% sales tax on just about everything, and if you have income, a state income tax. A state excise tax on new tires, probably an environmental tax on used tires and waste oil. They never had a tax they didn't like. The last time California had a surplus, Reagan was governor. He left a 750 million surplus. The next governor went thru that like grease thru a goose. A few more years and that state will just be a smoking hole like Venezuela. I wouldn't care, but when most Californians move, they vote for the same kind of idiots that ruined California.

Leave a comment:

• tlcarrico
    replied
    I'm currently at Cabrillo Isle on Harbor Island, San Diego. I checked every marina when I arrived and no one has openings for live aboard. You have to get on a waiting list and they will take current members before opening up to anyone not already renting a slip. Mission Bay doesn't allow live aboard at all. At my marina, I am only allowed to be on my boat 10 nights a month and they do check your FOB activity so no sneak aboards. I pay $1025 a month for those 10 nights including the $55 dollars I pay to the Sheraton to use their pools and workout room which I have never used, but they make you pay for 6 months, even if you leave the marina. In addition, if you want decent internet, that's $39 a month not to mention my electric has been $150 a month or more because when I am here, I need heat...winters are very cold and rainy. The only marina that welcomes live aboard is California Yacht Club in Chula Vista, which seems like a pretty nice marina. As for me, I am leaving this state. Costs are outrageous and in the 6 months I have been here, the area does not outweigh the costs. Yes, also there is a property tax you have to pay for your boat as if it were a house and you have to pay 7.75% sales tax when you buy a boat as if you were buying a car...double taxation? Definitely look into Ensenada, MX...I hear it's beautiful there and very inexpensive.

Leave a comment:

• michel
    replied
    exactly, or the sea of cortez. I'm fully setup to be self sufficient for months at time, i don't need a marina. However, until im truly retired, a stop gap in california would be nice for a year or two. i also like california, particulary santa monica and north of it a bit. Never spent time in sand diego except near the boarder and it was a bit sketchy for sure. I'll contact someone that knows for sure if it also applies to foreign vessels, it's very clear on that point. the slip fees are pretty huge, then add the weird tax and all of suddent california is not as appealling except for a stop gap to fill the fridge

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Another option is Ensenada.

Slip fees are 1/3 less, and no tax. Same weather as San Diego

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    It’s 35 at my marina in Alaska tonght.

It was 67 in san Diego at the same time.

I’m OK with their property tax if need be.

Leave a comment:

• michel
    replied
    perfect worse case scenario ?

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by michel View Post
    The reality would be the boat would actually not be cruising much down there and once i find a marina i like it might be for a year or two, then move on. So unless im willing to pay that tax either have a short stay in cal, or cruise around without staying more that x amount of days in any one place. So doing the snow bird thing to leave the boat at a marine and spend the winter there and summers here would not work out.

Worst case is you pay California property tax.

Leave a comment:

• michel
    replied
    The reality would be the boat would actually not be cruising much down there and once i find a marina i like it might be for a year or two, then move on. So unless im willing to pay that tax either have a short stay in cal, or cruise around without staying more that x amount of days in any one place. So doing the snow bird thing to leave the boat at a marine and spend the winter there and summers here would not work out.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by michel View Post
    Thanks for posting those marina from san diego. Im considering taking the boat to southern california althought probably not as far as san diego but maybe. A bit scary how large those places are, not sure i would enjoy that.
    anyway i keep hearing that weird stuff about property taxes being levied on your boat at the beginning of the year. Being canadian with a canadian boat, is that something that applies? Seems pretty intense.
    The way I understand the law, and others could correct me is that if you are actibvly cruising, meaning not sitting in one marina living there you do not owe tax in California. You are visiting, spending your money at their establisnments, doing exactly what a traveler does.

Stay too long in any location and you are residing ther, and not visiting anymore.

Then I question Californias ability to tax a foreign flagged vessel anyway. Interesting concept.

Leave a comment:

• michel
    started a topic california tax

california tax

Thanks for posting those marina from san diego. Im considering taking the boat to southern california althought probably not as far as san diego but maybe. A bit scary how large those places are, not sure i would enjoy that.
    anyway i keep hearing that weird stuff about property taxes being levied on your boat at the beginning of the year. Being canadian with a canadian boat, is that something that applies? Seems pretty intense.
Working...
X