Ketchikan Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketchikan Alaska

{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"515876","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"515877","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"515878","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"515879","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"515880","data-size":"large"} Ketchikan Alaska is the port of entry city for every cruiser that wants to explore Alaska.

I’m Ketchikan today and took some photos and talked with harbor staff about getting, and living on a slip here.

There are two main harbors. Barharbor and City float. Bar harbor is for permenant moorage. There are a few transient slips, but for the most part this is long term moorage.
    I asked about slip avability and there is a waiting list for a 50’ slip, but the person I talked to indicated that it was not a long wait for a permanent slip. Living aboard is not really called living aboard here. It is really caled staying aboard, and there are not really any rules regarding it. A lot of the commercial boats have the crew sleeping on the boat while it is in port, so it’s not a big deal.

There is a whole other harbor called City float, which I’ll get photos of later this afternoon. City float is where cruisers generally stay. It it a whole harbor of first come first serverd slips. The harbor person told me that you just grab an empty slip, and get power turned on, and it’s yours. Leave the slip though and someone else can grab it. I have berthed at City float twice as a active cruiser and it is very nice. Right downtown Ketchikan.Very close to everything.

Here are the firsat set of photos of Bar Harbor. I’ll post photos of City Float later today ot tomorrow when I get out again.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516259","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516260","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516261","data-size":"large"} Here are some photos of Ketchikan Alaska City Float Harbor. This is all open moorage. You see open slip and it’s yours for as long as you want to stay.

The harbor is very convient to downtown, and is within walking distance of a lot of stores, marine supplies, everything.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516262","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516263","data-size":"large"}{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"516264","data-size":"large"} There is another city harbor in downtown Ketchikan Alaska. The name is Thomas Basin, and it is just a bit south of City Float. This is another harbor with a waiting list, that is liveaboard friendly. It is also convient to downtown and all it offers.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Great photos... but, what is that dark, puffy stuff above the horizon?

Just messin' with ya.
        I am staying aboard a "38' Sport Yacht" this coming Friday night in a SF Bay area marina just for the experience... unfortunately, it's supposed to be raining from the 21st (my birthday) through the weekend.
        Ugh. At least I'll get a feel for "wet" from all directions.

Jim

Comment

Lots of dock space if you have a 30ft or less boat. Nice and quiet too. No float planes taking off and landing every 30 seconds......
          ASD LIVING THE DREAM!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
            Lots of dock space if you have a 30ft or less boat. Nice and quiet too. No float planes taking off and landing every 30 seconds......
            You were here in the summer. Were you able to get a slip easily? With Power? The open moorage areas seem to be some boats sitting there, and some that get used, but I’ve only been here since Saturday.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Didn't have any issues getting a slip. It might not be where you want to go and you are hot slipped. We have had to move twice, but you understand that you maybe required to move. Electric can be a challege, Certain pedestals have a red sticker on it. These can be used for recreational boats. but sometimes those are either way down the dock or they are all full.
              ASD LIVING THE DREAM!!

Comment

I bet it is more crowded in the summer. To be honest I don’t think i would choose to liveaboard in Ketchikan, but not becausde of anything to do with the harbor. It’s simply too rainy for me here. The slip fees are really low though, at around $240 a month for a 53 foot boat.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Summers here are very busy lot of traverlers and dock space is very tight when it get to seiner time it almost i possible as the raft 5 deep if you were here last summer it would have blown your mind the weather was great this winter so far has be very mild the thing about Ketchikan is boating is endless I have been here 50 years and only did 20 % of it
                  Fyi Kevin you almost got a pic of my boat
                  cheers
                  Roy
                  Ketchikan Alaska
                  1988 3818
                  EH 700
                  Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Well, Roy you can be assured thst I walked by your boat!

You have a great town, and I’ll be sure to look you up next summer when I bring my boat to town.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                    X