Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Trophy Project for me, 1990 Trophy 2159 Alaskan Cab

Hello,
    This is my 2nd Trophy purchase/Remodel .I am a Trophy Fan and saw this deal for $500 on craigslist,couldn't refuse! But nearly free boats are usually the most expensive from my experience!
    1990 Trophy 2159 Alaskan bulkhead with OMC 4.3 V6
    Any others have the same boat?
    this boat has been abused for years apparently-I should call it Humpty Dumpty,The last owner invested $2500 with new wheels,tires,hitch & 5 years of ebay parts,but i am the guy putting it back together ,Someone tried parting out allot of the hardware,fittings,lights teak, before,the 4.3 V6 only has 256 hours on it in freshwater only,Sacramento Area,I am trying to find cabin door,Hand rails on cabin top,interior lighting,swim platforms, ect.... more pictures to follow in rehab section. Winter Project

I have a 89 2159, but with a OMC Ford 5.8 Cobra.
    saw a guy on Craigslist advertising original ceiling lights.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...214838322.html

Comment

• Alaskancabfixer90
      Alaskancabfixer90 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the lead,will call him,How do you like your boat with a V8?

I am fixing it up. Got the engine running just last week. Now it is time to service the outdrive, and hopefully in the spring I can finish the project. People that havethe big engines love them. It is my first boat, I have norhing to compare it to..

Comment

Can you give me what you had to do to fix it up? 1st Trophy I/O i have had,mine needs a major rehab,OMC 4.3 V6, hasn't been started in 6 years,no rust,freshwater boat, but may have to pickle the engine with mystery marvel oil,My Drive is OMC cobra,Yours Mercruiser or Volvo? don't know anybody else here with the same boat,is yours an Alaska Cab too?

Comment

I got the boat with the engine out, and a new bladder fuel tank. Engine had just been rebuilt. The outdrive was still on, and the drive shaft stuck in the gimbal bearing. It took a bottle jack to push it out. The bearing is still in the gimbal housing. Gimbal housing had lots of corrosion and I replaced it. New gimbal bearing, new bellows. From youtube videos I had seen that Bayliner had done a lousy job on the transom, and as so many others on this forum mine was rotted, from a poorly sealed garboard drain. I replaced the plywood with Coosaboard.
        I resealed under the window frames. Water was leaking through the stud holes on top of electrical wiring on the right side, and into the back of the "coffin" on the left and into the front v-birth. I rebuilt the bow pulpit, it was leaking through all the bolt holes and nav light wire hole. Used leftover Coosaboard. Replaced bow nav light with new LED unit, same for the all-around light on top.
        Resealed a lot of deck-mounted hardware. Replaced the rope rubrail, re-sealed the gap between the two boat halves underneath the rubrail. Made all new cushions for the V-birth. Videos and materials at Sailrite.com.
        I took out the inserts in the engine vents, they were 90 degrees to the hull and caught lot of rainwater. Replaced them with slanted louvered vents that I modified.
        New hoses for the engine room fan, both had massive holes, not an easy job, very tight space. New fan, new pump for fish well, new adjustable and closeabe (aerator) heads as water in/outlet.
        Engine is back in the boat but after getting it to run it did not want to shut down, the alternator was the culprit. Now I am starting on the outdrive, some new seals, waterpump, oil, grease in driveshaft joints. Hopefully no surprises....
        Next will be installing a new fridge, the icebox was ugly, Hopefully a solar panel and LiPo4 for the house bank.
        Another project is setting up an Android based car stereo, that has gps, LTE, USB, SD card, with Navionics and via its wifi the wireless signal from a Vexilar depthfinder. Boat still has the original 2 speaker am/fm cassette, I removed the '93 gps unit, it still has the original depthfinder and gauges.

I do not (yet) have the Alaska bulkhead. My wife wants it, so I have been looking at how to build one. I am debating if I want to build it with wood or vinyl. Wood rots easy, needs its maintenance. Vinyl lasts forever. I have seen many boats in asia that live a hard life and most have vinyl (sliding) doors and windows.
        I do not want wood at the end of the windows under the gutter, those were nasty green from moss. I think they were teak, which is a pain in the rear end to keep looking good.

My boat has the OMC Cobra 5.8L (Ford), Cobra drive.
        There are a few others on this forum who have the same boat. Many people (even with different boats) have given me tons of advise, there is a wealth of knowledge that is being shared. It is my first boat, and it has not been easy. Different terminology, a boat model number that is nearly impossible to identify, a box with parts that somehow had to attach to an engine block, things that did not work as they should have, countless hours searching obsolete part numbers and finding the correct ones. What was perceived as "put the engine in and you are good to go" has taken a year and a half.

The picture was taken right after I put the engine in and placed the new rubrail.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Alaskancabfixer90
          Alaskancabfixer90 commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW,You really hustled,Brave man to take on such a big project! hope you got it cheap enough?
          Mine has major issues,hope not as bad with the drive,always thought trophy's, were just that,seems like allot of short cuts were made putting these together,my headliner is a mess,not sure how to make it work.bow cushions same-bayliner always had bad fabric, I love the teak however,it required sanding & staining,adds allot to the charm & value-most Yachts have teak in them,Trying to find a cabin door,ebay has one but its in bad shape for $400 with shipping,I have at least 9 months of work ahead of me,got allot of the parts already-mostly custom,guy i bought it from bought it for $2000 and put $2500 into it,new wheels/tires hitch & lots of ebay parts,after 5 years he gave up & sold it to me for $500-looks like allot of work still-yeah the ice box is cheap,stove gone,will find a propane one, swim platform parts there but accessing all the fittings is brutal,no access to the bolt holes on the transom,and the thru hull fittings on side stern,

Bought this on Halloween this year-Hope it doesn't haunt me as much as it has haunted you!
          "1990 Bayliner Trophy - $500 (rohnert pk / cotati)
          SF bay area > north bay > for sale > boats - by owner

1990 Bayliner Trophy 21 foot “Alaskan” cab.
          I’m selling my project boat once again after last offer few through. I just don’t
          have enough time to finish it. comes with a 4.3 V6 with approx 256 hours. The
          engine and outdrive run good, but the boat needs finishing. I’ve collected lots of
          parts over the years that need to be installed. When finished these boats are great
          fishing and over nighters. Dual axle trailer with new tires goes with sale. $500.00
          best offer. Call for more info. show contact info . This is a project boat. Be the
          buyer who knows and wants to put this boat back together.

I have a bunch of omc cobra transon / drive parts hanging around . Left over from a v6 project a few years ago drop me a pm if you need something

ps I'm in Rio Linda
        1992 2452
        5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Before doing much, check your transom for rot. In my story you saw how it was in mine, and so many others Bayliners from that era. BL did a terrible job with sealing the garboard drain and the drain tubes going through the stringers. If there is no rot, I would still seal them with fiberglass and epoxy. If you do have rot, pull engine, repair transom, and.... now you can reach all the hardware for the swimplatform.
          I would pull the outdrive anyway, just to see the condition of gimbal bearing and put on new bellows, new waterpump, oil change, new seals / o-rings if you find water in the oil ( like mine)..

I redid all the cushions myself. After 30 years it was foam with threads. Sailrite.com has fantastic videos on how to do it. I used dry'-fast foam, which is more expensive than the old yellow stuff. For foam ($600), upper fabric, under fabric, zippers, thread, needles, durascrim pattern material and seam stick /basting tape (absolutely critical) I spend a total of $1000. Once I got the hang of it I could do a pillow per evening, using a normal sewing machine.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-berth-rebirth

I have since covered the wooden slats on the walls with some foam and blue marine vinyl.

Comment

The stove on mine is alcohol fueled. I found a brand new fridge on graigslist for half of new price, nice to not have to deal with ice blocks in an already small box.
            Yes, right side stern through-hulls are hard to access. All others are not too difficult when engne is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Metrodriver View Post
              Before doing much, check your transom for rot. In my story you saw how it was in mine, and so many others Bayliners from that era. BL did a terrible job with sealing the garboard drain and the drain tubes going through the stringers. If there is no rot, I would still seal them with fiberglass and epoxy. If you do have rot, pull engine, repair transom, and.... now you can reach all the hardware for the swimplatform.
              I would pull the outdrive anyway, just to see the condition of gimbal bearing and put on new bellows, new waterpump, oil change, new seals / o-rings if you find water in the oil ( like mine)..

I redid all the cushions myself. After 30 years it was foam with threads. Sailrite.com has fantastic videos on how to do it. I used dry'-fast foam, which is more expensive than the old yellow stuff. For foam ($600), upper fabric, under fabric, zippers, thread, needles, durascrim pattern material and seam stick /basting tape (absolutely critical) I spend a total of $1000. Once I got the hang of it I could do a pillow per evening, using a normal sewing machine.

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-berth-rebirth

I have since covered the wooden slats on the walls with some foam and blue marine vinyl.
              Wow, Your a pro now,rather pay for you to make mine,,, I got the foam, just need new skin.How much for a duplicate copy? my colors for the boat are Black & grey.

did you have your headliner fall down too like mine is? solution for that,

man i can see why some many others before me have failed,too much to do,unlike you i got hull damage to deal with,somebody ran it on the rocks and skinned the gelcoat/cracked one the ,can't gelcoat in cold temps,going to glass it with fast cold hardener to 40 degrees

Comment

The stove on mine is alcohol fueled. I found a brand new fridge on graigslist for half of new price, nice to not have to deal with ice blocks in an already small box.
                Yes, right side stern through-hulls are hard to access. All others are not too difficult when engne is out.
                Do you have the link to find our trophy's? I can't get flash on my computer,tried everything,but these are pdf's,i can open this but can';t find it for 1990 Trophy2159's from baylinerparts.com/1990/trophy/?
                http://www.baylinerparts.com/1997/ciera/2355sj97.pdf

Comment

The link is for a 2355. I have never seen a list like that for our boats.

Comment

For headliner I first washed it with simple green and a pressure washer with wide tip. Make sure anything acrylic is covered (hatch, instruments). Simple green will attack plastic. After it dried I used 3M 77 spray adhesive. Works great.

Comment

Check out what this guy did to his 2159:

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/19...ardtop.701854/

Comment

For headliner I first washed it with simple green and a pressure washer with wide tip. Make sure anything acrylic is covered (hatch, instruments). Simple green will attack plastic. After it dried I used 3M 77 spray adhesive. Works great.
                        Did you spray inside the headliner,cabin top with all the lose foam or at the fabric on the outside,its filthy,was going to try to use a wet vac to vacumnu it,butyour idea sounds better,what a mess it will make,i have simple green lemon i could use

Comment

Only place I have foam is a small piece under the bolts that hold the bow pulpit. Everywhere else the headliner sticks straight onto the fiberglass. I sprayed both contacting surfaces (fiberglass and backside of fabric), waited a few minutes, pushed it on.
                          My method of washing did make a mess. I first wetted the fabric, used a pumpsprayer to apply the simple green, scrubbed it with a brush then rinsed it. I used a pressure washer for that, garden hose will work too. Cover instruments, electronics and the hatch really well. I did it on a warm day when a swimsuit was appropriate, and used swim goggles as eye protection. It is amazing how that stuff finds your face. Another reason for the warm day was so everything would dry faster. I sucked a lot of water out with a shopvac, and for the v-berth and "coffin" I used a fan for a few days. The headliner had cigarrette smoke stains, rust and black moldy spots from water entry. It all came out, it looks almost new.
                          I have before and after pictures, but they are on my old phone and are not accessible. I need data recovery for that.

Comment

Working...
                          X