Bayliner 4388 Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 4388 Owners

I was wondering if there are any 4388 owners around!
    Ships n Giggles
    1993 Bayliner 4388
    MMSI# 367412710
    Day Island Yacht Club
    Commodore

used to be one, if that helps. Josh owns my boat now.
    toni
    Toni

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Yeah, I know... Just wanted to see if there is ANYONE else around. I think I've seen 2 other 4388s around other than our 2. Which is a shame!
      Ships n Giggles
      1993 Bayliner 4388
      MMSI# 367412710
      Day Island Yacht Club
      Commodore

Comment

Hey Shipsngiggles...

I’ve been stalking this forum for a while now as I’ve slowly narrowed the boat I’m interested in down to a Bayliner 4388. I really like the openness of the salon, the arrangement of the heads, and of course the exterior styling is the most modern of that era. It’s been great seeing your posts in particular as an owner, and getting a first-hand perspective on some of the issues you’re dealing with. I’m hoping to get serious this year, and I’ve been looking online at the 4 or 5 listings currently for sale in the Northwest. When you were shopping for your boat, did you happen to look at any of these? If so I’d love to hear your thoughts on any of them.

Hopefully I’ll be able to find the right boat, and join you as a fellow 4388 owner on the water soon.

Comment

Hey there, welcome.

The 4388 is the same as the Maxum 4600 and the Meridian 441. Same hull, similar layout and ultimately the same boat over the different generations.

Few things to consider... 4388 being an older boat has some things that are quirky and should be considered when buying. I love the boat, absolutely do, but after everything is said and done you might consider a few things.

The Hinos are great engines but they are old and tend to have parts shortage issues... particularly the mani-coolers and waterlift mufflers. Mufflers are about $4k/set if you do the install yourself, the mani-coolers are about $4k for the service but if they need replacement, it would be $20K/piece in which case re-powering is a better option.

The transom is an issue... because of the way the rudders are mounted, they cut 2 large holes in the transom and that can be a problem, especially with 8 bolts per rudder going through... plus there are 2 ubolts that go straight through that can cause you issues. Chances are that unless the rudders have been re-sealed and the ubolts removed, you might have issues with the transom.

The blackwater plumbing needs to be replaced and that is another $5K at the very least plus the toilets and toilet installation. I had the plumbing done by the boat yard and I switched over to the macerating electric toilets. The toilets were $800 total but I think the install would have run me another $3K if not more. So be aware of that.

The gauges and engines are older so if you want any kind of modern data from the engines, you'll have to install a unit that will take the analog signals and convert them into digital inputs. The units cost me $500 plus a ton of work and I still haven't fully tuned it in but it's close. If you want modern electronics such as chart plotting and such, that is going to be spendy. $1,000 for AIS on board. $1,000 for a computer, $1,000 for coastal explorer and NEMO. $1,000 for engine flow monitors... you see where I am going with this?

The bow thrusters cost me $5,000 which was cheap in comparison.

Tender is going to be another expenditure. Mine cost me about $7K to get an inflatable rib used with a SeaWise system on it, the Livingstons are absolutely useless

The props are not cheap one bit, about $4K/piece so be careful with them and make sure that you are really looking into the pitch, cup and the overall condition... even a tiniest nick will cause insane vibration on them.

Fly bridge enclosure is about $9,000 for the hard plastic windows, for the cheaper stuff it is about $7,000.

Dripless shafts are $3K/side to install or replace.

A good surveyor will be able to identify a few of those things for you.

So if you get the boat, you'll be spending some money on top of what you already paid for it. How much you want to spend, that's up to you. My math worked that the boat was worth $100,000 with all the things I wanted on it and then started deducting downward to what I thought was reasonable for me to pay and still have a good value.

So, be aware of what you are getting yourself into. I paid $58K plus tax on mine so, $63,500 was the total or somewhere around there. The one in Anacortes at banana boats started out for $120K and it's been sitting for a year... I wouldn't pay more than $65-$70K for it because it has the hull extension and that is actually a really nice feature. The davit system on it is meh... I would say it's pointless to be honest as it prevents you from using the swim platform. Only good system to me is either the Weaver, the Seawise or to tow behind. The radar is useless, so is their chart plotter. I mean you can use them but you'll want to get better soon. The plumbing looks original, so you will have to replace it. I am worried that one engine has over 100 hours more than the other. The ZF throttle controllers are a nice addon, it's about $5K in value to install them new.

If I was you... I might look at the Maxum 4600 as well. They are newer, nicer and if you can get a good deal on it, you can really get a nice boat. I was looking at those and I'll be honest, while I love my boat I probably should have gone after the Maxum rather than the 4388 knowing then what I know now.

If you need more information, give me a holler. I'm around most of the time.

Ships n Giggles
          1993 Bayliner 4388
          MMSI# 367412710
          Day Island Yacht Club
          Commodore

Comment

Wow! Ask for information and ye shall receive!

Thanks for sharing so many thoughts, some of which I am aware, but some not as well. I have been looking at the Maxum 4600, but was leaning towards the Bayliner as a lower up-front investment while we prove that the family will love boating as much as I do. My dream is a blue-water boat to retire on, but while the husband has been mostly fine on powerboats, he’s always seasick on sailboats, so he’s a little nervous about my plans. How steady has your 4388 been in mild to moderate seas? I wasn’t sure if the V was deep enough to effectively resist roll or not.

The Meridians are lovely, but too rich for my blood.
            I am sure as things get real, I’ll reach out to you with lots of question, maybe over a beer or whiskey?!

Comment

4388 owner here and can't agree more with Mr giggles. If you can do alot of the work yourself it will save a ton of money and you will learn alot about your boat. I completed the black water system and most of the plumbing fixtures on mine immediately after purchase. It wasn't horrible in the wallet but is always my first upgrade on a new to me boat. This winter I did all led lighting and that has been fun. Thanks Bayliner for not running grounds to the switches! That made dinners tuff to come by. Now I'm slowly resealing windows and misc. Hardware that isn't currently leaking but it's a 29 yr old boat so trying to get ahead of her age.

@ Voyager- the 4388 is a great boat but almost all of them will need tlc and love there an older boat and just now reaching the age where expensive projects are due. Motor overhauls etc. If you find one well loved or already updated you can't go wrong. I highly suggest spending some time on one. I will say I love the boat but there are days I hate all the steps. Up to the kitchen down to the beds down to the baths there's always a step !!
              LilJohn Captain of Premium IV
              1991 4388 floating in the great PNW..

Comment

Following. Looking for a 4388---love the interior layout.

Comment

• Shipsngiggles
                  Shipsngiggles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome aboard... It is by far the best layout for the buck. Check out the Maxum 4600 if you're looking at a nicer model. Meridian 441 is just too expensive for what you get in my opinion
              Working...
              X