Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 2452 Ciera Classic - Macerator Hook up/Re-wire

Hi all,

This is my first post, I'm excited to be part of the forum.

Anyway, I have a 2000 2452 Ciera Classic. I'm in the process of replacing some of the dash gauges and revamping the cabin. Among these projects is re-wiring the macerator. Presently, the macerator pump isn't hooked up.

There is a switch for the "waste pump" on the dashboard. I'm guessing this is where I need to wire the pump? I've also never actually had to connect a macerator pump before. Is there an obvious place on the pump that I need to connect the wires? I'm guessing the pump is in the "step down" compartment just inside the cabin. I haven't really gotten down there to take a close look at it yet, but I'm hoping it will be a fairly straight-forward connection. Has anyone else replaced/rewired a macerator pump on this model?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Leo

A macerator pump that hasn't been hooked up or used for a long time may be stuck. Before you go further, take the rubber cover or plug off the end of the motor shaft on the pump. You will find a slot on the end of the shaft. Use a flat screwdriver to turn the shaft back and forth until you can spin one or two turns. If you are able to do this, it should be OK to use. Otherwise you'll need to rebuild or replace it.

On most Bayliners the macerator pump is wired through a fuse or circuit breaker directly to a momentary switch or a pair of momentary switches in series to prevent accidental discharge. The idea behind the two switches is that you consciously have to press both to operate the pump. The problem with this is that on most Bayliners the there's too much voltage drop at the pump. This greatly decreases the torque produced by the motor and leads to jams. I personally prefer to wire macerator pumps with heavy gauge wire and a fuse or relay from a main ground and the main battery selector switch through a relay close to the pump. Then I wire the relay's control to the macerator pump switch. This results in much less voltage drop and better pump reliability.

This is for a Jabsco brand pump, but the other brands are similar: https://youtu.be/V1cwk2fBBHM
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

• KVBruce
      KVBruce commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your idea of relay mounted close to the pump. I can only find six station relay boxes. Are single relays available? Any help appreciated. Bruce

My pump was under the port storage hatch. Right next to the waste tank and T valve
    1992 2452
    5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Y valve!!
      gota love auto correct
      1992 2452
      5.0 alpha1 gen2

Comment

Working...
      X