• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps the BOC gods can move this thread to the owners listing
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Done!
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank dude!

NP buddy!
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

My fuel tank sprang a leak in the middle of last year which spoiled the fuel efficiency data I'd been collecting for most of the year. I just completed my second fillup with the new tank, so I'm now able to back out the exact fuel efficiency for the trips last year.

5.7L MAG MPI 350 w/ Bravo 2 and 18" prop with 21" pitch
        I traveled 204.8 statute miles
        Used 91.569 gallons
        Engine ran for 28.1 hours
        Average speed 7.29 MPH
        Fuel consumption 3.26 GPH
        Fuel economy 2.24 MPG

Average speed is low because I'm doing a large amount of trolling. The PO was in Portland and used the boat for salmon fishing, so the kicker is only 8 hp and can only push the boat 4.4 MPH at full throttle. It's perfect for trolling at 0.5-2.5 knots, but I like to troll at 5-7 knots, so end up using the main engine for a lot of trolling. 5-7 knots is right at or a little faster than hull speed. So I suspect it's dragging my MPG down, and I could probably hit 2.3-2.4 MPG during cruise. Not too shabby considering I was only hoping for 2.0 MPG when I bought it.

Does anyone know how fast a 9.9hp or 15 hp kicker can push the 2556?
        1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Colleagues!
          I have on board the "B2556" sonar "US Marine LСD 5000 ", but there is no manual for operation. Who can help?

Comment

Where is the bow bilge pump located? How to get there?

1989 Bayliner 2560 (2556) Convertible OMC Cobra 5,7L

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim_23 View Post
              Where is the bow bilge pump located? How to get there?
              Towards the front of the berth underneath the dinette. If you have a mattress in there, you'll have to pull it out or lift it up. There's a panel on the floor towards the front, which gives you access to the forward bilge and bilge pump.

The pump is easily accessible but the thru-hull for the bilge hose is not. It's in the closet to the left of the cabin helm. Unfortunately that closet is too small for most adults to squeeze into. So if you're planning to change out that thru-hull (a good idea since it's plastic and is probably brittle with age after nearly 30 years), you'll need either the help of a child or small adult, or you'll have to dismantle the closet to reach it.

Comment

• builderdude
                builderdude commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, been there done that

Thanks!
              Another question: how to properly connect the stern bilge pump (in the engine compartment)? I have only a circuit breaker (float).

Comment

Hello!
                I measured compression pressure at OMС Cobra 5,7L. Here are the data:
                1 - 176.4 psi
                2 - 177.8
                3 -170.7
                4 - 156.0
                5 - 172.0
                6 - 170.0
                7 - 163.0
                8 - 177.8
                What can you say, colleagues? The indications are normal, but the discrepancy?

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim_23 View Post
                  Hello!
                  I measured compression pressure at OMС Cobra 5,7L. Here are the data:
                  1 - 176.4 psi
                  2 - 177.8
                  3 -170.7
                  4 - 156.0
                  5 - 172.0
                  6 - 170.0
                  7 - 163.0
                  8 - 177.8
                  What can you say, colleagues? The indications are normal, but the discrepancy?
                  #4 could be related to an exhaust valve issue, a leak down test can help diagnose.
                  The rest of them look great IMO.
                  How does it run under load up on plane etc?
                  Whens the last time you had the exhaust components off or looked at? I recently had an exhaust gasket failure at the port side elbow that allowed sea water to run down into the exhaust port of the head causing a similar loss in my compression numbers

The engine bay bilge pump should be wired to an uninterruptible power source (typically the larger house battery bank) via the float with the ability to manually override the float switch with a switch located at the helm.
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

# 4 - I also think of the valves. But I do not know for sure yet. I'll check again, but later because I'm very busy right now.

Thanks to the bilge pump. He was not on my boat at all. I found and connected the wires, it turns out that when the switch is turned on, both pumps (bow and stern) start working at the helm,

Comment

IMO #4 is normal and the others are high. Was the engine warm, all plugs removed and the throttle open?
                      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I've struggled with the lack of seating in the cockpit of the 2556. I bought a couple deck chairs, but they slide around, get in the way of fishing, and have to be stored in the cabin when not in use. I'd been toying with the idea of installing a fold-down seat in the middle of the transom. Then I ran across this:

https://www.littlegiantladder.com/pr.../work-platform

Click image for larger version

Name:	little-giant-ladder-systems-ladder-accessories-10104-64_1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	455849

I ordered one from Home Depot ($29.64 but it's order-only, not available in store; Amazon has it for less but I wanted to be able to return it no hassles if it didn't fit). I tried it on the ladder of the 2556 and it works perfectly. Tucks away behind the ladder when not in use. The platform has a lip which hangs over the second step of the ladder to provide a little seat for someone to sit on while underway (facing backwards to watching the trolling rods). It might be a little high for kids (second ladder step is a little higher than the gunwales), but should be fine for adults. It doesn't span the full width of the ladder, so you can still climb up/down. It's aluminum so no worries about it corroding. Not sure about the two bolts, but those are easy to replace if they start to corrode.

I have a tuna trip planned next weekend so will take pictures and report how well it works while underway. Maybe figure out a way to add some padding to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauti_Mike View Post
                          IMO #4 is normal and the others are high. Was the engine warm, all plugs removed and the throttle open?
                          Gauge could also be inaccurate but an older 5.7 might have been fitted with small cc heads. My higher pressures are in the 160-165 range running the aftermarket 67 cc’s.
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Gauge could also be inaccurate but an older 5.7 might have been fitted with small cc heads. My higher pressures are in the 160-165 range running the aftermarket 67 cc’s.
                            Agree but he has several in the high 170’s. While I agree the gauge could be part of the readings being high I wanted to be sure he did the test correctly. No adding oil to the cylinders, ....
                            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

• builderdude
                              builderdude commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Copy that mike

• Maxim_23
                              Maxim_23 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The test is done correctly. I recheck yet another compressometer. But it will be later. I'm preparing the boat for the winter.
                              PS. The oil did not even pour - for I did the test for myself, and not for the buyer.
                          Working...
                          X