Owners listing 2858, 2859 and 289

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aknurse View Post

Ive been waiting a long time to see what your diesel can do Fritz! I honestly think you enjoy working on S&W than running her!
    +1
    One sick dude this Fritz guy is....
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

RED handed you got me, I am finishing the Sea strainer modification, then clean up and test the new props. Not to make excuses, but I have pinched nerves in my back.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

ONE more little project of the punch list, relocated and installed new raw water strainer, the hose coming in from the top is for flushing out and winterizing.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
          ONE more little project of the punch list, relocated and installed new raw water strainer, the hose coming in from the top is for flushing out and winterizing.
          Off to the boat ramp then?
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Close - cleaning up put stuff in the right spot - make list to find it loose list, and go.

Comment

Hello fellas, I just bought a 1999 2859 with a 7.4 Mercruiser. I’m still figuring it (and power boating in general) out. Boat seems pretty solid with good working systems but I’m taking it to get a once over by a mechanic to be sure. I may want to reupholster the bunks in the cabin, but then maybe not if the cost is astronomical. Still figuring out the art of docking stern in...

-Noogie

Hampton, VA
              ”Argo”

Comment

Welcome. Our boat's name shares 3 letters with
                your boat's name. Orca
                1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
                7.4 Mercruiser
                Still learning about other systems
                and specs.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and the 2859 bunch, if you have a question just ask.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I saw a 2859 with a brand new bracket and Suzuki 350 OB mounted on it getting ready to launch as I was hauling out. I asked the owner about his numbers and how he liked it. He said it was his maiden voyage. The weather was pretty sketchy and building. We were happy to make it back into the harbor. I suggested he might want to pick another day when he asked "how it was out there". He launched anyways. I am very curious how things worked out. I strongly considered OBs when I repowered with my diesel. I wish Id have had a chance to snap a photo. It looked sharp!
                    "REEL WILD"
                    2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                    Anchorage, Alaska
                    If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Originally posted by aknurse View Post
                      A couple of weeks ago I saw a 2859 with a brand new bracket and Suzuki 350 OB mounted on it getting ready to launch as I was hauling out. I asked the owner about his numbers and how he liked it. He said it was his maiden voyage. The weather was pretty sketchy and building. We were happy to make it back into the harbor. I suggested he might want to pick another day when he asked "how it was out there". He launched anyways. I am very curious how things worked out. I strongly considered OBs when I repowered with my diesel. I wish Id have had a chance to snap a photo. It looked sharp!
                      Id love to know what his performance numbers were after he gets it dialed in. I don't think a single 350 would be enough...but you never know with outboards. Id love twin 250 etecs!
                      Esteban
                      Panama City, Panama
                      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
                      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

What would the cost be for that set up?

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                          What would the cost be for that set up?
                          Outboards seem to average around $1,000 per 10hp. Around $10,000 for 100hp, double that for 200hp. Easily add $5,000 for rigging, digital gage, etc. Then a few thousand for the bracket.
                          And then labor costs if you have to pay some one.
                          Id say between 30k to 40k or more, not including labor, to do the swap to a single.
                          But then you have all new drivetrain. And a boat you can beach on the sand anywhere in florida...or run in very shallow water...something you simply cant do with an inboard or an I/O.
                          Esteban
                          Panama City, Panama
                          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
                          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

Hi All,

Max from Sweden here. I'm gonna look at a 1997 2859 this weekend. You can see the ad here http://tiny.cc/uahu9y

I've looked at two Discovery 246, both from 2007, and it will be interesting to see if I like the 2859 better. I think that I will like it since it, obviously, has more space. Even thought the boat is ten years older it lokks fresh in the pictures since carpets, upholstery, canvas and decking is replaced.

My only concern is the engine. It has been re-powered in 2009 with a Mercruiser 350 Vortec, 270 hp, according to the ad. 270 hp sounds very low on this boat. The 246's I tried both had the 5.0 MPI, 260 hp, which was ok but not more. The 2859 is about 1000 kg heavier and only got 10 hp more.....

Except for the engine, any specific issues I should be aware of?

BR,
                            Max.

Comment

Hi max and welcome to the forum. the 2859 is a great hull plenty of storage, the original 350 was a 260 HP engine currently the choice is the 283 V8 small block, you could also lock at diesels. all Bayliners and other boats in with aluminum gas tanks have a corrosion issue. look at posts an this forum as to the repair solution, the other is some have leaking side windows, note all boats have gremlins, In my situation the 2859 is the right pick and have changed things to my liking, good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by green650 View Post

Id love to know what his performance numbers were after he gets it dialed in. I don't think a single 350 would be enough...but you never know with outboards. Id love twin 250 etecs!
                                I havent seen the guy since. I would actually bet the single 350 would run like a raped ape. Its lighter than any I/O engine with a duo prop. i'd just like to know how it handled moving the weight so far back. The guy did mention he had "gone through" 4 inboard engines and was tired of them. Idk if this meant he rode them too hard or just used his boat alot. It appeared immaculate on the trailer though. I will be keeping an eye out for him for sure. Alaska is huge but the boating community is small. I'd say youre spot on about price. 30-40k beefing up the transom and new rigging etc. The nice thing about an OB though is its a hell of alot easier to use in the winter.
                                "REEL WILD"
                                2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                                Anchorage, Alaska
                                If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Working...
                                X