• Show
Clear All

Yup. Been there.
    1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
    7.4 Mercruiser
    Still learning about other systems
    and specs.

Comment

I'm replacing the Bravo ll, 2.0 ratio, sterndrive on my 1998 2859 w/ 7.4 MPI (1100 hours), with a Bravo lll. I'm told it might be wise to choose a 2.2 gear ratio given that my engine is older and that a possible future new engine would want a 2.2 gear ratio. Does this sound like a good idea, or should I stick with the 2.0.
      Thank you for any thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hecox View Post
        I'm replacing the Bravo ll, 2.0 ratio, sterndrive on my 1998 2859 w/ 7.4 MPI (1100 hours), with a Bravo lll. I'm told it might be wise to choose a 2.2 gear ratio given that my engine is older and that a possible future new engine would want a 2.2 gear ratio. Does this sound like a good idea, or should I stick with the 2.0.
        I’d say ask this in the tech section.
        Are you repowering from a small block to a big block or just upgrading from B2 to a B3???
        I think the ratio of the B3 would be less aggressive either way as it’s a more efficient drive than the B2
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by Hecox View Post
          A friend of mine has a marine shop by the Bellingham airport. He has the contract to maintain all the CBP boats. Anyway, when i had my 2000 2859 with 7.4 mpi, i asked him about swapping the bravo II lower for a bravo III. He recommended against it. Said the bravo III is much weaker and problematic and said I should stick with the II which is bomb proof.
          Esteban
          Panama City, Panama
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

On my set up with a 6.5 diesel I have a Bravo III X supposed to be stronger 2.o ration, last year started with 20x20 4 blade props, not good at all over revved, traded the for 24th, need spring to see if that works.
            Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
            96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I'm replacing a B2 that blew out on me. My 7.4 MPI still has good compression, so I'll keep it. I found a used B3, put it on and only got 30 hours on it before it blew on me. (I didn't hit anything, they just started banging.) The B3 duo prop is a good upgrade, I liked the performance difference. I'm using 24 pitch 3 blade props. I'm buying a new one this time and I will be getting the B3X, just because it's a stronger unit. My engine calls for a 2.0 gear ratio, but the dealer in Florida thinks a 2.2 ratio might be a good way to go. He says a new engine (hopefully I'll never have to get one) would need a 2.2 ratio. I'm hesitant to change ratio's when I believe I could just change props pitch, in the future, if needed.
              I think I'll probably get the 2.0 because I'm not an engineer and I'm leary of changing OEM specs.

Comment

If you had a B3 bolted up with a 2.0:1 final drive ratio and were able to achieve recommended WOT for your engine and were happy with its performance then I’d stay with the 2.0:1
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Dave is correct getting the correct wide open RPM - loaded is what you need to luck at.
                  Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                  96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I'm going to get the 2.0,, I might get a drive shower too. I think the heat on the upper unit may have caused the eventual failure of the B2.
                    Thanks for the input!!

Comment

Working...
                    X