No announcement yet.

Owners listing 2858, 2859 and 289

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last test run out had a miner oil leak at the oil filer set up had to totally dismember to find the source cracked aluminum housing, while apart added more swivel fittings to make it simper if I need to go to that again. All ready to install, small problem, this morning 11 Dg. outside it is supposed to get better, I hope O well need to work on the Snow plow.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Hi to the group, question for my holiday project, my side windshield port side on the upper enclosure is leaking on to the dash has any one pulled the complete assembly loose and up to seal? is there a rubber seal or just caulk?

Comment

• green650
        green650 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not sure if it’s the same design, but I took the hardtop roof off my 2252 and it was caulk from the window frame to the vinyl headliner. The headliner was held to the roof by the driprail. Water in the drip rail was weeping in between headliner and roof and getting in.

Curious if anyone knows what the long chanel molded into the head countertop is for. Seems like a really long soap dish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5673A40-2390-42CB-838E-6735346C47AC.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	476244
      Esteban
      Panama City, Panama
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

The soap dish if you could call that is where you have the T paper roll, the area on the right is for things you don't want to fall on the deck. the area below the T paper holdr with door could be made in to a compartment for additional small storage, by pulling the screws from the aluminum molding under the sink, you can look and see what can be stored.

Comment

Hi Mr. green that project completed, did not remove the top assembly, it would be a big pain in the A in the head area the top and widow side is vinyl and would need to com out to reach the bolts, so I calked with Sikaflex black 291 that should hold for a few years. So I had a bit of time on my hands, one more project in the works laid up some glass on the aft part of the roof and started a mold to construct a aft extension and get rid of some canvas. Have some pictures but not loaded jet.

Comment

Have had request to post the installation of a cockpit door, this is primarily for the 2859 93 and 94 models, that only had a 10 inch depression to clime in to the boat. This was posted in the older forum but lost in neverland. So down to the subject, With masking tape and a square find center of the step and down to the swim deck, stop about 4 to6 inches from the platform, your choice. Now run a tape preoral to the platform 12 inches or more from the center line to both sides. Go in to the engine compartment and cover every thing with plastic - under where the door will be, the more you protect the happier you will be later. Now run tape from the edge of the step depression down to the swim deck, this will be your cut out. Go just outside of the none skid that is on the step through - you will need that late it will be the bottom of the new opening. Grab a saws all or what you have and cut the molding first then start down the sides, NOTE it is good to have masking tape on ether side of your cut, the sections you are cutting. SAVE you will need them.

Comment

Now we will continue, as you can see from the pictures the cuts are tapered, I cut one side at a time, less chance for a O S*** after the outside cut is made take a square and mark your inside cut, proceed with the cutting, DID you tape of the cut areas? Les chipping of the gel coat. In my boat I did not have any wires or hoses to protect so this not should have been at the front ( I am not perfect.) Next is to form the side sections to fil the openings. You will need a Gal of resin + hardener I prefer Vinelester it has better bonding quality's, a quarte of gel coat white a tinting kit to match your faded hull, more on that later, 2 yards of 1.5OZ mat or 10 square FT. If you can get a yard of 1MM core mat, some acetone for clean up cheep brushes latex gloves, container's and sticks to mix with, if I left some thig out perhaps some one will fill-in. Places to get supply's most larger boat chandlers US MARINE< FISHERIES SUPPLY, west FIBERLAY, JAMESTOWN, east coast.

Comment

Now that you have your resin and other products find a spot to set up a work platform and a section of Formica, flat slick surface only needs to be for the lay up of the sides and wide sufficient to lay up both sides at once, wax the surface with a past wax 4 times and polish out every coat, now steel some cheep hairspray and spray 4 coat over the wax surface letting each one dry before the next coat, cut the mat 4 sections of FG mat and one of core mat per side, a bit bigger than the opening you clothing up, if you don't have the core mat, cut 5 of the 1.5 OZ mat. So time for the lamination process, mix about a quart of resin with the hardener 1.5 % not over 2% if warm go to the lesser side, After the mix spread a layer of resin on the platform prepped for the lay up start with 1 layer of glass, wet them out, if you have the core mat that will be next, or the 2nd layer of to laminate till the is a total of 5 all wet out, Clean up and take a brake since next is the fun part Grinding, some folks put on Tyvek suits or old clothing recommend you tape of the sleeves and part of an old town for the neck, time to Grind all edges out to a minimum of 1.5 inch out from the cut inside and out Don't damage the non skid on the bottom section, the out side and inside sections will be your door.

Comment

When the Grinding is completed and you have vacuumed the mess up, it will be time to see if your laid up parts are cured and hard when hard pull them from the platform, may need a putty knife to help but of the will come trim the to fit the openings right and left- Grind the edges as with all the other parts. test fit OK starting on the port side first its simper to get in and reach. O memory pick up a can of fiberglass filled body filler with hardener in areas that are impossible to reach on the inside that can be mixed a smeared on as you fit the sections for installation and with a stick level it out before it cures on you don't mix a lot of hardener in so you will have more working time and it is cooler that helps you will only have minuets to work with that product so pre prep is required> the areas that are reachable fiber glass in 2 layers going out to the grind edge get as smooth as possible. I hate sharp glass in boats, when all the inside work is completed its time to work on the outside, laminating in all the sections including the bottom, I sloped that outward by a bit so water will run out rather then in to the cockpit. after the glassing is competed go over the rough areas with body filler to smooth things out and ready for gel coat .

Comment

Now to the door trim and fit the sections together, my door is about 2 inches wide at the top a bit less on the bottom and laminated in to one part and made to fit the couture of the transom laminated body fleed and ready for gel coat. I am searching for a picture of the door buy itself.

Comment

Fritz making it look easy! Great work as always
                      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

Thank you Joon, I have had a bit of practice, now need to go out in the snow and snap a picture or so. to finish my explanation.

Comment

Went out in the Snow, so some more door pictures. A the rough fiber glass is prepped it is same as body work on a car sand check fill and sand some more for primer if so desired there are polyester primers with good filling properties you local NAPA store is a good place to start spray on fallowing instructions and sand to a fine finish if spraying gel coat go down to 180 grid and you will be fine. if painting with gel coat first match to your faded hull, compound an area so clean surface is there that you can match against, in you tinting kit you have all that is needed, take a bit of gel coat out of the factory can in to a plastic dish and start with a touch of yellow and practice till you have the shade needed and then on to a larger batch you should not need more than a pint, A REMINDER no hardener till ready to paint.

Comment

OK so we are down to painting with gel coat all prep sanded cleaned up masking completed, extra plastic for overspray protection up? Gel coat matching competed, reducing to spray, in the old days we would reduce with a mix of Styrene and Acetone, it worked but needed buffing, then glossing additives come out, and now my choice is Duratec additive great stuff curing is good blending is great and it has gloss. Now I will get to hardware Hinges not found in boat supply stores but bigger and tougher, luck at your local Swans truck and there compartment doors, opened every day multiple times and there not falling of, so that is what I installed SS yes and SS bolts 1/4 20 with Nye lock. McMaster-Carr was the catalog the slide bolt SS that is about it, aske questions and I will answer when get to this Key board. Fritz

Comment

My potential next project. Photo shows how the fuses are set on Cutwater 28, want to do similar to fuse holders on my 2859. Will move the hinges to the starboard side, probably update the fuse holder boards, and put them to the hatch door. I like it that when you open it, everything is right in front of your eyes. Really sick and tired of checking/replacing fuses through the maze of wires behind the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_11899.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	482970
                              Alex
                              1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
                              1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X