No announcement yet.

Owners listing 2858, 2859 and 289

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information for the old timers Sceeter3 is out of the hosp. and home.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
      Great installation, what are there intend structure and down,. forward looking? Had to work on the house or sleep in the dog house, back to S&W tomorrow.
      Chirp, downvision, sidevision and 3D.
      Doug
      1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
      496 big block - Bravo ll leg
      The Doghouse
      Prince George BC

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fishaman View Post
          Saw this modification in one of the CL ads. Bridge table base is converted to seat base, so that a pedestal seat can be put in instead if desired, like during a long run with 2 onboard. My wife keeps complaining about neck pain after crossing the strait...

Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	432273

Name:	Chair.jpg
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	432274
          check out this one:

Name:	686C2B8F-44B8-4756-991B-FFCCA570E307.jpeg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	435220

Esteban
          Vancouver, BC
          Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I was beginning to think I would never get her back from the shop, but finally picked her up and brought her home a couple of days ago. Completely rebuilt transom, motor mounts and stringers in the engine compartment. New custom aluminum fuel tank. New transom assembly as well as a new steering cable. New total scan transducer mounted on the shiny new transom. I'll be taking her out on a 3 day shakedown voyage tomorrow out to Prince William Sound so I can drop some shrimp pots and go after some halibut and troll for salmon. I spent an obscene amount of money on getting her gussied up but now she is better than factory with a diesel. Pics of large fish to come!
            "REEL WILD"
            2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
            Anchorage, Alaska
            If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Awesome! Good luck with the test run! Feels good knowing everything is solid and new!
              Doug
              The Doghouse
              Prince George BC

Comment

Yes, Hope your shakedown cruise goes smooth. Waiting for fish pics
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

So I had a potentially very bad thing happen late last week. I've had my kicker off the boat for about a month to get it serviced and fix the latch springs on it. While working on it, I noticed that the power chord connector was badly corroded (its a Scotty three prong connector). So I ordered up new connectors, switching them over to the two prongs (since I have a few of those laying around). Took the new one down to the boat and replaced the old one which was also corroded. The boat side wire was zip tied to the hydraulic lines for the kicker steering, and it gets quite exposed to salt water back there, often likely completely doused. When I pulled the old plug off, it was somewhat obvious the corrosion extended to the wires, however, the ends of the wires had been soldered, so I was able to clean those up fairly well. I squirted in some dielectric grease in each terminal. After screwing the terminals in, one side popped right out. So assuming it was my error, I stuck it back in, making sure I got the wire in as deep as it would go, and secured and tested it with no apparent issues. I then applied dielectric grease around both wires, and proceeded to first wrap it with silicone wire wrap, then a wrap of standard black electric tape. I left it zip tied up hanging over the transom into the boat. I proceeded to do about another hour of cleaning things and a couple other fixups, and left the boat - this was Thursday night.

Sunday, while out golfing, I get a text from one of my fishing buddies asking me what was up with my boat, and sent a picture of my transom area and the wire hanging over it - he'd been out with my slip neighbor that morning. I just replied with "fixed a corroded connector, and cleaned the spark arrestor (which I'd also left on the deck to dry). He then stated that I'd come awful close to burning my boat down! Mind you, I've only got a couple years experience on boats, and didnt really understand what he was talking about - so I assumed he was referring to the spark arrestor, and later that night when I got home I called him to find out what I had missed on the spark arrestor. Apparently, I didnt look close enough at the picture - closer inspection revealed a charred mess on the deck, and scorching around what was left of the wire on the top of the transom.

I immediately ran down to the marina and sure enough - it had burnt the wire out of the new connector, and burned a small hole in the front corner of the transom - just down to the inner layer of fiberglass.

I coulda taken down the whole damn dock with that. Scary as heck. Really not sure what it is that I did that caused it, could have been that that wire came loose again while I was wrapping it. Could have been something internal in the connector. Could have been a problem with the wires having been corroded so badly.
                  What I do know is that I wont make the mistake of not replacing those corroded wires again. I also found that the wires were direct to the battery, with no circuit breaker on them - which means if there had been direct continuous contact, the power would have just kept on flowing to power the burn.

Where I'm at now is trying to figure out how to set up the wiring now. I wasnt all that thrilled with the female side of the scotty/Marinco connectors - but I've been unable to find a somewhat quick disconnect battery wire set up that in also water proof. Anyone seen anything good in that light?
                  I'm alos curious if the Scotty style plugs are actually capable of that level of current flow? If they are, the another option is to solid mount a female end on the outside of the transom.
                  97 2859

Comment

Thats scary JT. I have some high current connectors on my pot puller. https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Conne.../dp/B007JMTS14
                    Definitely want to put a fuse or breaker on there too.

I have been dealing with some issues on my transom rebuild. There are some leaks that I cannot identify the source. The idiots used a plastic through hull below the waterline that was cracked and leaked. A lot. I fixed that. Then while out a ways found the raw water pick-up on the new transom assembly was leaking but could not tighten up the bolt completely without removing the hose and sinking the boat. Its repaired now. Still accumulating water from somewhere that I cant pinpoint. Not a big leak but still with the $$$ I just forked out there should not be a drop of water.
                    "REEL WILD"
                    2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
                    Anchorage, Alaska
                    If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Hi all, aknurse great to see you floating again, not so good to have leaking issues. Now plastic through hulls not the best as I progress in to the hidden caverns of my boat to access my through hulls the change over to bronze is ongoing. Jt, electrical problems are scary and can destroy a boat, good luck in getting things repaired.

Comment

Just got back from our first trip out with the rebuilt boat. 2 weeks out of kitimat. Boat ran perfectly. Have it propped right now. Turned 4700 at wot. Ran 39mph on the GPS.

spent all of the trip in fuel conservation mode at 1800 to 2100rpm. Getting 2.1 mpg. Was extremely happy with the mileage......just took more time to get there! Very happy with the carb change from the factory Weber square bore 4 bbl to the spread bore quadrajet 4bbl. The smaller primaries I believe helped mileage tremendously. Starts with a touch of the key every time cold or hot. Idles at 650rpm. Smooth as can be.

great first run!

Doug
                        The Doghouse
                        Prince George BC

Comment

Originally posted by sketch96 View Post
                          Just got back from our first trip out with the rebuilt boat. 2 weeks out of kitimat. Boat ran perfectly. Have it propped right now. Turned 4700 at wot. Ran 39mph on the GPS.

spent all of the trip in fuel conservation mode at 1800 to 2100rpm. Getting 2.1 mpg. Was extremely happy with the mileage......just took more time to get there! Very happy with the carb change from the factory Weber square bore 4 bbl to the spread bore quadrajet 4bbl. The smaller primaries I believe helped mileage tremendously. Starts with a touch of the key every time cold or hot. Idles at 650rpm. Smooth as can be.

great first run!
                          Sounds like a great trip Thats great speed on your WOT! What's the speed at your 1800-2100 rpm cruise? Trawler mode?
                          Sounds like you have it dialed. I can't remember, are you running the aluminum exhaust manifolds too?

Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                            Sounds like a great trip Thats great speed on your WOT! What's the speed at your 1800-2100 rpm cruise? Trawler mode?
                            Sounds like you have it dialed. I can't remember, are you running the aluminum exhaust manifolds too?
                            Running about 7.5 to 9.5mph on GPS at 1800 to 2100 depending on current. Fuel burn was way better for us for how far we wanted to go and no place to fuel up.

yes I have a full closed cooling system and am running a stock replacement all aluminum exhaust system. I also have the edelbrock stock replacement aluminum heads and aluminum weiand Intake manifold. With the 180lbs of concrete ballast removed I took approx 400lbs of weight of the rear of the boat.

that 496 with a power tech 4 blade stainless prop pulls ridiculously hard for a big boat. Shocked me and scared the wife!!lol
                            Doug
                            The Doghouse
                            Prince George BC

Comment

Got out fishing for Kings today on the opener. Only got one legal, a 15 lb Hatchery fish on the Kinston side of the pond (for those familiar with the Puget Sound) just after the morning ebb slack tide. Had to be at work by 10, so I had to cut it short.
                              New kicker wiring in place, and a new Troll Master Pro3 wireless throttle control made it so much nicer than trying to lock the Honda at a set rpm. Also new was a high thrust prop on it (although, I really dont know that it made that much difference).
                              97 2859

Comment

Great keep it up, more pictures please.

Comment

Working...
                              X