No announcement yet.

New Owners listing 2859 289 and 2859 +

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 2008 289, great boat, sometimes I wish I would have kept it, long story. Starting in 2002 I believe, the 454 big block was discontinued, but some '02 models have them. From later '02 forward, the boats came with a 350 Mag (300 hp EFI) and Bravo 3 drive. The 454s were 310 hp, but more torque and mostly Bravo 2 drive. The early 90s boats did not have transom gates. IMO, the 350 Mag is very adequate for the boat, unless you'll be loading it up with extras all the time, such as many passengers, lots of fishing equipment, or extra water and fuel. But I'm not sure a stock 454 would do much better. And welcome to the BOC!
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "Sea Ya"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

To answer coyote 54 The leeks in the area described can start in two locations 1. the gunnel rivets and screws, the padded strip over the head board is held on with screws from under the rubber gunnel railing and on in to the backing plywood> so one needs to remove the filler strip to pull the screws, when you get the pad off you will also see rivets holding the gunnel on, seal all fasteners, I like 3MM 5200 or 4200. Now aft of the lower bunk compartment and above the water heater more rivets to seal, check the front of the air box to see if water marks are present. good luck.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

• Coyote54
        Coyote54 commented
        Editing a comment
        So it's unlikely that water is coming from the window mountings?

I just delet with one aspect of this and can offer some comments. The port and starboard decorative valances above the shelf are used to cover the rivets that hold on the base of the rub rail and the intersection of two pieces of the monkey fir. Instead of removing the rub rail, we simply pulled off the decorative valances from their screws, carefully. Once you remove these you can see where the water has enter d. We cut off the exposed screws and sealed the holes with 5200 from the inside, along with the exposed rivets. We recovered the valances, one of which had been damaged by a rat,replaced the monkey fir, and reattached the valances with Velcro. I also cleaned off the intersection of the run rail base with the hull on the outside and ran a bead of clear silicone caulk between the rub rail base and the hull.
      sigpicDave Stancil
      Bayliner #1 in slip
      1993 2859 Classic
      10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
      Bayliner #2 in garage
      2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

I just ordered a new pedestal seat set up to replace the stock fold down helm seat. From my initial look at it, it appears that I'll end up drilling through the floor/ceiling of the main bedroom and through bolting it through there. Looking for advice if anyone has installed a pedestal like this, and if it is in fact one solid piece of material?
        Really looking forward to having a decent swivel bucket seat.
        97 2859

Comment

I did it on my boat. It was fairly easy to bolt down the base, I have asked my wife to hold the bolts with screwdriver while I climbed in the midberth to tighten the nuts. I made the pedestal pretty high, so to increase stability I manufactured a triangular bracket out of the standard pedestal footrest. This bracket is clamped on the pedestal, and the opposing side is attached to existing slider bracket. Ended up rock solid and nice looking setup. I will make photos when I go to the boat next weekend.
          PS. The footrest I used for the upper stability bracket is available from Fisheries supply, just type "tod 5205" in the search window in their website.
          Alex
          1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
          1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Here's a picture of the footrest, easy to see how it can be attached to the side to make the pedestal more stable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	footRest.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	412522
            Attached Files
            Alex

Comment

Good to see new projects, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by fishaman View Post
                Here's a picture of the footrest, easy to see how it can be attached to the side to make the pedestal more stable.

Name:	footRest.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	412522
                Yes definitely want to see some pics. Did you install with the foot rest as a support from the start? Or did you find it to be a bit wobbly and add it as an afterthought?
                I did not order a foot rest with mine - I should check that out - I might want one for when I have the seat swiveled (which I'm guessing will be 90% of the time while fishing).
                97 2859

Comment

Here's some pictures of the final installation.

Name:	SeatView.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	414161

Name:	SeatBracket.jpg
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	414159

Name:	SeatViewUp.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	414160
                  Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Harris View Post
                    I'm slowing trying to convince my wife that we need a boat to play with when she retires next November. We went to the Seattle Boat Show this weekend with both of us knowing we can't afford a new boat, but to see sizes. I have settled for months on getting a 289 or a newer 2859 (no carb, must have Alaska bulkhead). Can someone tell me the differences in the post 2000 year versions? I can't find anything online. Also, what should I watch out for? I am in the Pacific Northwest (Bremerton) and have not seen one, except in pictures. I plan on keeping it in my driveway (too cheap to moor), since we live 3 miles from three different boat launches.
                    If you are looking by this summer...we are considering selling our 2002 2859 Rod. It has a 6.2 MPI and a brand new transom plate. We looked at the earlier models and were attracted by the lower price of them but decided that we liked the walk through transom door and also the wood looking interior vs the white interior. This particular one stood out to us because of the bells and whistles that it came with. We have a windlass, radar, chartplotter, updated stereo and several other options that I cannot remember right now.
                    Keep my contact info and PM me when you get looking - I am working on the Admiral right now and may be ready at right about the same time that you are !
                    2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
                    Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

Very nice project.

Comment

Hi I am new to this group and have a 1997 2859 Bayliner Ciera Express. Just wondering if anyone has any brilliant ideas or places to replace our vee berth mattress. The one that was in there until I threw it away after last season was the original and falling apart. I can bear to go another summer on the mattress. Thank you for your suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by fishaman View Post
                          Here's some pictures of the final installation.

Name:	SeatView.jpg
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	414161

Name:	SeatBracket.jpg
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	414159

Name:	SeatViewUp.jpg
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	414160
                          Thanks Alex.
                          GIven the small size of your base plate, I can see why you added the brace. And it looks as though you used 1/4" or maybe #10 screws into the floor?
                          MIne showed up today. 12" base and I'll mount it using either 1/4" or 5/16" through bolts and will install a backing plate on the bottom side - looks like West Marine has some 12" pre drilled aluminum plates for about 30 bucks I think I will have to cut it in half though - it looks like the seat will be just about centered over the rib dividing the little cubby from the main compartment below. Good and bad I guess - the rib will give the floor more strength in the FWD-AFT direction, but it will force me to split the backing plate.
                          97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                            Tension setting is a screw on the helm control. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	362.5 KB ID:	404805
                            I finally got around to checking out my throttle control.
                            I dont believe I have the same type of adjustment ability.
                            Nothing on the bottom side either for a tension adjustment.
                            I did pull the panel, and found that both cables come out the casing in the same opening. But the outer cable had pushed out the plastic cover and was wedged half out of the case. I fabbed up a little aluminum angle to put over the plastic cover to keep it from getting bent out again. I think that likely occured last winter when I was unplugging the black tank vent hose (not a pleasant memory).Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6775.jpg Views:	2 Size:	204.0 KB ID:	414343
                            Attached Files
                            97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by JThiessen View Post

Thanks Alex.
                              GIven the small size of your base plate, I can see why you added the brace. And it looks as though you used 1/4" or maybe #10 screws into the floor?
                              MIne showed up today. 12" base and I'll mount it using either 1/4" or 5/16" through bolts and will install a backing plate on the bottom side - looks like West Marine has some 12" pre drilled aluminum plates for about 30 bucks I think I will have to cut it in half though - it looks like the seat will be just about centered over the rib dividing the little cubby from the main compartment below. Good and bad I guess - the rib will give the floor more strength in the FWD-AFT direction, but it will force me to split the backing plate.
                              Yes, my base plate diameter is 9", and I used 5/16 bolts. I have also put a starboard circle under the base, and sealed all with 520. Just do not like the idea of direct contact between non-skid and metal surface in high stress areas. And yes, the holes are directly over the "rib" underneath, so I used 2 plates of 1/4 aluminum on both sides.
                              You can see that my pedestal is pretty high, so I was mostly worried about the weld between the base and the stem. I just wanted to be sure that the high leverage lateral forces resulting from my over 200# jumping in or out of the seat will not break it.

I kept the original seat for now to figure out what will be the most comfortable seating arrangement, and now I plan to change it to a bolster seat where the front part can be tilted up to make a leaning support when I steer while standing on my feet.
                              In any case, a similar bracket for lateral support can be added at any time after the pedestal is installed.
                              Good luck with your project, please post pictures.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X