No announcement yet.

New Owners listing 2859 289 and 2859 +

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi JT, wet transoms are never good as far that I can tell my boat is still dry, knock on wood, installing transducer or anything, I remounted my tabs that way with screws sticking out and the block epoxied on. This was done when I was constructing the pods, hope it helps.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

So another item I need to address this winter is my throttle cable. When I've had to use the main motor for trolling, I've noticed that it really has a hard time holding a steady RPM. I'll set it say at 1200 and within seconds it will drop off to idle. Since rebuilding the carb and the attempts at tuning it, I've noticed it does this even at the dock while letting it warm up.
      I'd think there must be a tension setting somewhere on the throttle, but I've never adjusted one.
      Any input on how to correct this?
      97 2859

Comment

Tension setting is a screw on the helm control. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	404805
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Trolling with the main is not the best, some fish like to hit at 1 MPH ore less, but Dave has the answer for the holding on the throttle.

Comment

Thanks Dave - I'll take a peek for something like that on mine. BTW - I'm also in Edmonds (R Dock).
            Yeah Fritz, using the main is not the best, both on the wallet and the speed. However, there were many times this summer that my 9.9 just couldn't control the boat. And then my remote steering pump went T.U. about half way through Coho season.
            97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by JThiessen View Post
              Thanks Dave - I'll take a peek for something like that on mine. BTW - I'm also in Edmonds (R Dock).
              Yeah Fritz, using the main is not the best, both on the wallet and the speed. However, there were many times this summer that my 9.9 just couldn't control the boat. And then my remote steering pump went T.U. about half way through Coho season.
              Cool, I don't moor at Edmonds marina (I trailer) but I probably trolled by you in September several times
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              Misc. projects thread

Comment

I think I saw this boat mentioned somewhere... or did I...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...469975341.html

Nice boat, should sell fast.
                Alex
                1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
                1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Here’s another for a reasonable price in my area, looks decent.
                  https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/b...?lang=en&cc=us
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  Misc. projects thread

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post

Cool, I don't moor at Edmonds marina (I trailer) but I probably trolled by you in September several times
                    We caught some of the biggest lingcod around Edmonds marina
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

Just looking at those two ads above, BOTH of them have triple wipers - am I the only one that doesnt have three wipers? GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THAT!
                      97 2859

Comment

I am posting this reply for owners of a 2859. Last November I had a stowaway rat on board that hopped on during a shipyard visit. The rat was finally caught by me, but it chewed up several things( no wiring) but did crewed up the headliner and one of the decorative valences on the starboard side. Just as an observation, the two decorative valances on the port and starboard v-birth are screwed in from under the rub rail and impossible to remove without removing the rib rail. We made the decision to just pull them loose from the inside, cut the wood screws off from the inside, seal the holes, and reattach using Velcro. Under the valances, you will find where the rub rail is crewed in from the outside. We replaced the monkey fur on the sides and on the bow bulkhead yesterday. Just FYI, the shelf fronts can be removed from the inside by finding small screws inserted. I elected not to replace the monkey fir on the base of the v-birth since is it covered d by the mattress. That is a project for another day. BTW, if you ever fool with the headliner, be sure to use clear 3M spray glue, not yellow, as the yellow glue eventually will bleed through. Attached are before and after.
                        sigpicDave Stancil
                        Bayliner #1 in slip
                        1993 2859 Classic
                        10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
                        Bayliner #2 in garage
                        2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

I 2 comments answering posts from Alex and Dave, the Ketchikan Boat is members boat Sceeter 3 and a good runner I have fished from this vessel. The padded covers in the forward bunk area wile chasing leaks, since both screws and rivets where used to hold the gunnel molding and over time water comes in by the fasteners so sealed the with good old 5200 by 3MM.

Comment

New Guy here. Been lurking for a while.

Bought my 1994 2859 with the 7.4 liter about 3 seasons ago. Love it. It is moored year around uncovered on Lake Pend Oreille Idaho. Love it there. Big fish, big water, big mountains and no crowds. The boat has a couple issues that I need to rectify soon but need some opinions from experienced owners.

1. I have a rain water leak that has befuddled me in the aft cabin. Comes from the aft corner of the upper cabin backrest, fills the lip above the rear bed then wicks out once it saturates the monkey fur. I thought it was the grab rail mountings but removed and resealed those to no avail. So now I believe it is a leak from the upper cabin window bottom rail. I think I've read somewhere on the web that others have had issues with the drains on the window rails but can't find the fix. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. I have a new leak dripping from the upper helm shelf onto the plexiglass cover above the steps into the lower cabin. It is dripping out of the 2 center seams in the upholstery . I assume that this water has to be coming from the center of the roof? Is the upper shelf mounted through the roof? I cant see any screws on top?

3. I saw a wiring diagram on an old forum which I cannot locate anymore (baylinerniners???) to rewire for separation/isolation/protection of engine battery, from house batteries. I would love to get my hands on that if anyone can direct me. Ive had to use my kicker as a battery charger when the house drained all of the batteries from a weekend on the hook.

4. What is the proper way to freeze protect this boat on the water but keep it readily available for winter fishing? My first winter that I owned the boat, I used to use a small heater in the engine compartment to keep it above 35 but nearly had a disaster when the power went out during a -10* event. The raw water pump froze and pushed off the inlet hose but luckily I checked on it before it thawed out, otherwise I think I would've sunk my boat as that hose lies below water line. I also froze my oil cooler but luckily it just pushed out the soldered end and was an easy repair. Since then I have been pulling the raw water hose and securing it up above the water line, and also pulling the end cap off of the oil cooler. Kind of a pain to do each and every time during the winter. I assume there is a better way to do this?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance. Look forward to hearing from some of you.

Comment

• JThiessen
                              JThiessen commented
                              Editing a comment
                              *2 - No - the upper shelf does not attach to the roof in any way. It has little brackets that screw into wood blocks behind the vertical trim pieces - see my post on the previous page where I replaced some of the brackets to make them easier to get to.
                              Roof leaks can come from anywhere there is a penetration on the roof. I'd say start with the easy ones - pull them, clean, re-caulk, and caulk the fasteners too. This could be the same leak your chasing in item 1.

Can't really help with your leaks but on battery isolation ive done it this way. An ACR can be added so everything charges while your running the engine. Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	408106
                            Dave
                            Edmonds, WA
                            "THE FIX"
                            Misc. projects thread

Comment

• builderdude
                              builderdude commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This set up requires you to manage your battery banks via the MBSS and its likely the way your boat should have been wired from the start.
                              Start and warm up on #1. (dedicated start battery)
                              Select bank #2 by running the MBSS through the "both" position.
                              Run and swing on the hook on #2 (house batteries)
                              And welcome to the club.

• Coyote54
                              Coyote54 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              This is definitely a helpful start. Thank you.

I'm slowing trying to convince my wife that we need a boat to play with when she retires next November. We went to the Seattle Boat Show this weekend with both of us knowing we can't afford a new boat, but to see sizes. I have settled for months on getting a 289 or a newer 2859 (no carb, must have Alaska bulkhead). Can someone tell me the differences in the post 2000 year versions? I can't find anything online. Also, what should I watch out for? I am in the Pacific Northwest (Bremerton) and have not seen one, except in pictures. I plan on keeping it in my driveway (too cheap to moor), since we live 3 miles from three different boat launches.

Comment

Working...
                            X