• Show
Clear All

So rpms/speed were?

Comment

• builderdude
      builderdude commented
      Editing a comment
      He’s still in testing phase…
      Not sure he’s got the correct drive ratio mated to his new Diesel engine.
      There was a build thread on it somewhere.

Did not work, under propped, RPM going WEAY to High and I did not catch it, was watching exhaust for smoak, screw upon ME, now have blue smoak!
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

That's not good. These boats require a lot of oomph to get over the hump and your hull is even longer now. I've often thought about switching to a b3 but it's already a tall order for my b2 and her huge prop to get me up to 20 mph. Even all out at 23 mph I don't feel I'm truly on plane as I'm still making huge wake. I don't have any other boats like mine to compare to to but I feel I'm still in transition speeds.

That being said I made peace with her being used as a pocket trawler long ago. If you're in a 2859 and you're in a rush, it's not the boat for you.

Comment

Here’s one of the threads regarding fritzmans diesel re power.
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ummer-builders
        Here’s one regarding his gear ratio and prop dilemma.
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ravo-iii-drive
        Its been a real pita for him trying to dial in the correct hardware
        🫤
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX" '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
        The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        My Misc. Projects
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Yes PITA , is a under statement, as for PickleRick with my old 350 I could go to 26 with low fuel and water, fully loaded could not go on plane, a wile back coming from Ketchikan to Prince Ruper with full load, 2 big igloo 's + loaded with fish and gas water 2 persons would not lift, long trip.

Comment

I've not tried my boat with a light load. I've never had the fuel tank less than half a tank, this is our 3rd season in her

Comment

After viewing your threads, I didn't see where anyone asked what kind of boost numbers your turbo was putting out?

In my experience with turbo diesels, if they don't get enough air into the turbo or out of the turbo she smokes like a train and runs like she's missing half her cylinders

Comment

Been off for a bit, so will answer PickleRick, yes, I know lack of air can be a problem, I have fresh air coming in from the side vent to an air bock's with cone filter, 4-inch pipe to turbo and with reducer to 3 inches into the turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                  Been off for a bit, so will answer PickleRick, yes, I know lack of air can be a problem, I have fresh air coming in from the side vent to an air bock's with cone filter, 4-inch pipe to turbo and with reducer to 3 inches into the turbo.
                  What psi is your turbo building to?

​​​​​​My waste stuck recently, she became a smokey water plow.

I thought that my boat was slow because of my 225 hp motor until I saw the reviews on the newer cutwater 28s with 260 hp Volvo Penta. Turns out max speed is 22 KTS with cruising @17 KTS. 8000 lbs dry and a ft more narrow than our 2859...that's nearly a ton lighter.

I'm suddenly happy with my fast aquatic tractor speeds.

Comment

Working...
                  X