Hello All
    Just joined the site and getting some great ideas already
    I have a 1997 2859
    Getting splashed April 21

Comment

• 2859er
      2859er commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome aboard. This is a great place for ideas and people are more than willing to help you spend your money. ๐Ÿ˜„

Upgrade! New Wallas Stove/Heater installation.

We initially ditched the original alcohol/Electric stove when we bought the boat and installed a propane unit which was a big step up. But the propane stove put out a lot of moisture and we wanted a dry heat up here in the PNW. The moisture would leave the cabin very damp. The wife hated getting into damp sheets and blankets at night, and so did I. So we went with a dual purpose stove/heater that runs on diesel and sends the exhaust gasses outside of the cabin.
    Here are some pics.

Outside view of stainless steel through hull for exhaust gasses. This was my second time drilling a hole in the side of the boat. Not nearly as traumatic as the first time.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0926.jpg Views:	8 Size:	25.6 KB ID:	644255
    Inside view. This is the small space between the galley and the head.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0927.jpg Views:	8 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	644256

Stove cut out for the original stove.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0928.jpg Views:	8 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	644257
    Stove with cutting board material I repurposed from the previous propane installation.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0930.jpg Views:	7 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	644258
    Stove control unit.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0939.jpg Views:	7 Size:	32.6 KB ID:	644259
    Air intake vent added to cabinet door.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0938.jpg Views:	8 Size:	35.3 KB ID:	644260
    Diesel fuel tank placed in the cabinet secured with a battery strap.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0942.jpg Views:	8 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	644261

Fired up the stove this morning. I think we are going to love it!

Greg
    2000 2859
    7.4 Liter MPI Bravo 2
    Time Out
    2006 3500 Duramax Silverado
    Triple Axel Trailer
    Newport, WA

Comment

• builderdude
      builderdude commented
      Editing a comment
      ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸผCool upgrade, I copied your post over to completed projects.

Good morning, all have been missing for a while, the Dr. had 1st listing on me, but back in circulation. My last posts were concerning gear change, prop pitch search, that is still in fine tune stage. New problem has proper up and I need HELP!!! Galvanic corrosion is attacking my drive ( Bravo III X ) launched the boat May 12th so I could participate in the sprig start up, on Sat. the S&W is running well, but the prop still not right. So on Tus. pulled the boat out and up on the hard in the marina, to pull props for the exchange, on inspecting the Zinc found Galvanic bubbling Corrosion, that is in 5 days, so HELP what is going on?
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
      Galvanic corrosion is attacking my drive ( Bravo III X ) launched the boat May 12th so I could participate in the sprig start up, on Sat. the S&W is running well, but the prop still not right. So on Tus. pulled the boat out and up on the hard in the marina, to pull props for the exchange, on inspecting the Zinc found Galvanic bubbling Corrosion, that is in 5 days, so HELP what is going on?
      Fritz, is the marina hot? Iโ€™d ensure your bonding kit is all there and solidly connected. Also make sure the Mercathode is functioning.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX" '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
      The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      My Misc. Projects
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Hi Dave, great to see that you're on the job, thanks, I don't think that is the problem, just one boat next to my slip, not plugged in, had problem last time, so installed a galvanic isolator, Mercathode, how can I test that on the dry?

Comment

Mercathode test happens in the water. Iโ€™ll see if I can find a link.
          http://www.mercstuff.com/mercathodetest.htm
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX" '93 2556
          My Misc. Projects

Comment

Yes I know, I see that in the book, but I am on the tailer, so looking for a test on the dry. Next week it will get warmer so I will drive down and check all the Mercathode wiring? we are expecting Snow for Fry. A the Big Sky Country, got to love it.

Comment

Kind of a dumb question but are you sure you have the proper anodes? I grew up around boats all my life and was nearly 40 before I realized there was one for salt and one for for fresh. I trailer store so I had never purchased a set before.

I'm not sure what mods you have on your 6.5 but those in stock form were not exactly a power house. My VM diesel 4.2 225 hp. With my bravo 2 I hit about 23 mph at 3600 rpms.

I'd imagine unless modded and built you'll be in similar performance area.

Comment

He should be way beyond similar performance, he went from a sbc gasser coupled to a B2 to his 6.2 diesel B3 combo. Hopefully heโ€™ll get a chance to dial in the proper gear ratio to make it fly ๐Ÿ˜
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX" '93 2556
                My Misc. Projects

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                  Yes I know, I see that in the book, but I am on the tailer, so looking for a test on the dry. Next week it will get warmer so I will drive down and check all the Mercathode wiring? we are expecting Snow for Fry. A the Big Sky Country, got to love it.
                  Any updates Fritz?
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX" '93 2556
                  My Misc. Projects

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
                    He should be way beyond similar performance, he went from a sbc gasser coupled to a B2 to his 6.2 diesel B3 combo. Hopefully heโ€™ll get a chance to dial in the proper gear ratio to make it fly ๐Ÿ˜
                    The GM 6.5, even on their last, best designed block before going with Duramax (designed with Isuzu as the power stroke and Cummins were killing them in performance) was only about 205 to 215 horse power.

โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹I've heard rumors of 225 hp 6.5 rv motors but have never seen them.

I can't compare my torque numbers to his as I don't know my engines specs but I'd venture to say they are similar.

It should well out perform the 6.2. I'd be very interested in hearing what speeds and fuel consumption he got out of the 6.2.

There is a company, the name escapes me, that purchased the GM diesel blocks and upgraded the design for marine purposes. I kept hearing about reliability issues but never from anyone with first hand experience. Other than broken starter bolts and injection pump failures I haven't heard of any issues with them from people I know that still drive them.

My boat can go 65 mph. Did so yesterday for nearly an hour but it was on the trailer!

Comment

Did some research. Peninsular marine. They pump out 270 hp on upgraded 6.5 motors they purchased the rights to. They have a bad rep among many boaters but seems that directly from owners if you keep the fuel clean, upgrade remote oil filter hoses and upgrade to larger heat exchanger these motors are great if you limit it to 3 tons pet motor. These motors weigh in @850 lbs.

The 2859 is pushing to that motor but was doing the same with my factory motor and the 5.7.

If you indeed have the 270 version I really want to hear updates. That's a monster.

I also read you want to prop to 3800 wot vs the 3600 and cruise 3200 to keep the smoke and lugging down.

3200 is the sweet spot for my b2 diesel but she's still pushing water at @17 mph

Comment

HI all, 1st the 6.5 300Hp the last put together by AM general-- the hummer folks, sold to Peninsular and turned in to Marine engine, wet manifolds and heat exchanger turbo air turbo water cooled, all have antifreeze in them. coolant see water from seacock to strainer to water pump to heat exchanger-raw water to antifreeze, then out to the exhaust elbow. Now you know how it works. To the Boat and props, 22 pitch still not right send of for 18 pitch we will see going to the marina Tue. we will see, now on the trailer so can't test the Mec

Comment

What rpm and mph or Knott's for the true boat folk are you hitting with the 22s?

Comment

To answer the RPM question, I was getting black blowing out, so I quit now installing 18 pitch tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                            X