Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say most likely it doesn't as its usually a couple boat bucks to install. I was considering a 14k unit but being that by this time of year the water temps are approaching 90s I wanted to go big and chose the 16k. I paid extra for the reverse cycle heat and soft start capacitor. Good to go know for future readers to know what genny/a.c. units work together. The ryobi has a great value

my 1 yr old 9000 btu unit sucked past 9am. My 16k can be turned off on an 88 degree morning and keep 70 all day.

Comment

Originally posted by PickleRick View Post
      I'd say most likely it doesn't as its usually a couple boat bucks to install. I was considering a 14k unit but being that by this time of year the water temps are approaching 90s I wanted to go big and chose the 16k. I paid extra for the reverse cycle heat and soft start capacitor. Good to go know for future readers to know what genny/a.c. units work together. The ryobi has a great value

my 1 yr old 9000 btu unit sucked past 9am. My 16k can be turned off on an 88 degree morning and keep 70 all day.

That’s good the 16k is working for you. I had a tough time deciding what size to get. I was scared to go to big and have short cycling issues. Did you go with MarinAire?

Comment

Ocean breeze. With 88+ degree water temps and highs in the 90s I don't have any issues with short cycles. I currently have one 6 inch vent and 2 four inch vents. The small vents are in the aft bedroom and bathroom. The 6 inch vent is behind the breaker panel blowing up at the ceiling just right(and above) the sink.

I've considered adding another vent beside the fridge blowing to the floor but so far its worked so well i can't justify more holes cut in the cabin.

Comment

Hey folks quick update: just passed 2,600 miles into the Loop. Really fun trip! The Vulcan and V700 windlass combo are working great. The bow thruster is an amazing life saver ... makes docking easy. Thanks go to the previous owner for that add-on. Instead of spending $3 to $5k on a dinghy that really didn't fit I decided to buy a cheap lightweight kayak, strap it to the roof on foam blocks, and use the balance of the dinghy funds to pay for marina slips. Lots of marinas on the loop. The boat is doing great. The engine has 260 hours now (I've done 3 oil changes). Had her hauled out last week at Port Sanilac to power wash the bottom and inspect it but it really didn't need it. This entire trip we have had near perfect weather. Although it has rained, even a few big storms, overall it has been mostly nice only seeing maybe 4 or 5 days total w/temps over 88F. Might try to make a run up to Lake Superior next week or so if mother nature allows. My longest 1 day run so far was 184 miles (one fuel stop) from Tonawanda to Cleveland. I'm getting about 1.5 MPG depending on water conditions. Boat is loaded down. 2007 Bayliner Discovery 289, Great Loop 2021.

Some pictures

Fairport NY Erie Canal
          Jolly Roger in Fairport NY

Fairport NY at Night on the Erie Cana
          Fairport NY at Night Erie Canal

Train bridge and an open lock Erie Canal
          Railroad and Lock Together

Oswego Canal Lock
          Oswego Canal Lock

Jolly Roger at the Rock-n-Docks (at Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)
          Jolly Roger at R&R Hall of Fame

Haul out for power wash and inspection last week
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-07-09 Jolly Roger Haul Out 2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	626859

Atlantic City NJ from 3 or 4 miles out in the Atlantic Ocean
          4 Miles Offshore Atlantic City NJ

Baldwinsville NY was only $5 a night. Several docks were free!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-06-20 Baldwinsville NY 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	608.5 KB
ID:	626865

Attached Files

Comment

• builderdude
            builderdude commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing👍🏼

Fantastic trip and pictures, Thanks for posting.
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Really wanted to relocate my steering wheel to the bottom of the dash, and now had stumbled on the photo of the 2859 advertised for sale:

It seems like the manufacturer (Bayliner) had left this space empty for a potential steering location update!
            Current location is really uncomfortable, especially if you move your seat a bit up to have a better view of all the logs in the water.
            I am sure I am not the only one thinking about moving the steering location up to dashboard, anyone else ever tried to do it?

Alex
            Alex
            1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
            1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

Hey Alex! I always thought that it should be as shown in your photo, would be much more comfortable. How's the trailer working out for you?
              Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ
              |
              Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
              2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
              2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
              2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
              2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
              And 12 others...
              In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I agree - would have been a much better location. While your at it, change it to a tilt wheel also.
                97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                  Hey Alex! I always thought that it should be as shown in your photo, would be much more comfortable. How's the trailer working out for you?
                  Hello Jeff, the trailer is perfect. Cannot imagine a better one for my boat. Actually, it may be critical for our long planned trip to Desolation Sound in August: in spite of Canada opening land and air border on August 9, crossing by boat is still closed for US citizens. So for now our plan is to trailer the boat to Tsawwassen, BC, take a ferry to Nanaimo, then trailer to Campbell river and launch at Discovery marina ramp. That way we will be only crossing the land border😉

From the
                  https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...pb-pp-eng.html

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                  Reporting requirements for private boaters

COVID-19 Notice: July 26, 2021
                  All travellers arriving by boat must quarantine, regardless of vaccination status.
                  Find out if you’re exempt from quarantine.
                  Travel restrictions remain in place for foreign national boaters. Failure to comply with restrictions may result in severe monetary penalties or criminal conviction and/or imprisonment.
                  Visit Mandatory quarantine or isolation for more information.
                  Alex
                  1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
                  1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

• builderdude
                    builderdude commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That trip has been on my list as well.
                    Please document it on BOC👍🏼

Hey Everyone. It's been a while.

This might be a long shot but by chance does anyone have a side profile drawing of a 2859 with dimensions? I need something that might be able to be turned into a component for a CAD drawing. I have a guy using Sketchup to try and help me design a floorplan for our boathouse and It'd be great to get the 2859 sitting in the water in the plans to make things a little easier.

Thanks.
                  Tim
                  Eastern Washington State (GO COUGS)
                  Bayliner 2859 (North Idaho)
                  7.4 Closed Cool Bravo 2
                  Honda 15 with TR1 (best invention ever)
                  Hewescraft 21' Searunner (Crabbing, Watersports, Salmon, in that order)
                  Honda 130
                  Honda 9.9

Comment

Super glad I found this forum! I’m a potential owner and have identified this boat as a potential perfect boat to fish from as well as weekend trips with the family. I realize it’s not the largest and understand the limits of trailering etc… but really like the windows in the galley-cabin area as well as the open rear deck for fishing and crabbing etc…. My primary question to the group before I go to look at boats is what we’re the best years? Was there any significant changes or if I simply find an older well kept 2859 Will I be just as happy? Is the 350 enough power or should I strive to find one of the 7.4l? Any other tips? Are you generally happy with the boat you chose? Any other similar makes out there that offer all this model has? Anyone interested in selling? I’d be looking for a boat with trailer as I’m in Eastern WA and would like to make the trip to the San Juan islands once a year or so.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Comment

• AK Doulos
                      AK Doulos commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a 350 Map MPI on a 2007 Discovery 289 and it's been great. I have to use my trim tabs when getting on step when I have 4+ people but it cruises nicely at 27mph. I haven't checked top speed but have gone 36mph. When I repower, I'll probably get the 383 Mag Stroker MPI with Fresh Water Cooling. 50 more HP and more efficient.

We purchased our '98 2859 in 2012. It is a rock solid boat. The 7.4L works well for our needs--cruising and crabbing. We lived in East Wenatchee until 2019 and frequently trailered to Lake Chelan, with additional trips to Lake Roosevelt, Columbia River at Vantage, Columbia-Snake at the Tri-Cities and at least one annual trip to the San Juans or mid-sound-Port Townsend, Paulsbo, Bremerton, Gig Harbor, John Wayne and Keystone.. The boat trailer is a triple axle Ventura pulled by a '02 7.3L F-250.

I have made many interior "improvements" in my boat.. Too numerous to list. I'm not familiar with the 289 Discovery models. They are good looking and probably not much different than the 2859. If you can find a not-abused older 2859 (like mine) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it. My boat isn't for sale, but I know I could sell it very easily. As for engines, if I needed to replace mine, I'd look at another 7.4L with fuel injection. The engine has great torque and been around for many years.
                    "Del-Sea"
                    "98, 2859
                    7.4 Mercruiser, B II
                    Ferndale, WA. USA

Comment

• Kjbraman
                      Kjbraman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Excellent! This is exactly the info I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the feedback!

• Kjbraman
                      Kjbraman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Couple more quick questions, is the V berth long enough to sleep two? I’m 6’ 1” and my wife is 5’ 10”. How big is the mid berth?

Thanks again,
                      Kevin

• randygh
                      randygh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Absolutely the V-berth is large enough to sleep two. The V-berth is very large. We sleep with our heads forward and there is plenty of room for me, the Admiral and our standard poodle. The width at the foot is very wide too. I can easily sleep crosswise at the foot and I'm 5'9".

Hey Guys,

I need help with a clogged toilet... I can't for the life of me get it unclogged. Is there a snake or something I can purchase to help unclog it? Marine quick dissolving toilet paper was used but it just clogged everything up... Thank you!

Comment

Can you move the toilet pump handle? If you can't move the handle, grab some long plastic gloves and be ready for a real sh_tty job. The joker valve is probably plugged. While you have the pump apart, why not rebuild it? A kit is around $115 and very easy to install. Just need to remove hoses from pump. I rebuilt mine this summer. Wasn't hard.
                      "Del-Sea"
                      "98, 2859
                      7.4 Mercruiser, B II
                      Ferndale, WA. USA

Comment

Working...
                      X