Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2 cents, yes there are different boats, but I think when newer members need mechanical - gas tank - as one topic the 2859 crowd can fill the information gap, so what ever works is fine by this old timer. One note I would like to add, is with the pricing of new boats getting into the stratosphere, we more than likely will se more older vessels under the DIY reconstruction. That will make this forum a great resource for information.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Does anyone have a source, manufacturer, brand name, tank part number, for a black water holding tank for a 1993 2859??? My tank measures 10-1/2" tall x 16" wide x 42-1/2" long and as you may know other than length there isn't a lot of room to go bigger and of course I don't want to go much smaller than the 30 gal. OEM.

I'm changing out the lines for the black water holding tank and while I had everything torn apart it seemed to make sense to change out the tank. This has turned into a real crap show. I found a tank through a dealer, Plastic-mart.com, and after I finalize the order I find out the tank has baffles which of course creates all kinds of problems with human waste getting stuck and building up behind the baffles. The company has come back to ask me why I don't want baffles. I think if I have to explain that to a manufacturer of black water tanks perhaps I need to go elsewhere. Any help or opinions welcome please.
      Wayne,
      Formerly Fish-a-Palooza

Washington State, Salish Sea, Everett

1993 2859, 5.7L, Bravo 2, Seahawk II MMSI 338384974
      1988 Trophy 2160, 4.3L, VP Duoprop MMSI 338120888
      1988 1750 Bass & Ski, Force 125

Comment

Yea, not sure I’d want baffles in my waste tank🤔
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Just got Reel Wild out for her first trip of the year. We did a 4 days for the AK shrimp season opener. Nothing but clear weather and sunshine. However being that its still springtime in Alaska we had some skim ice in some of the bays we anchored up in. That new Planar heater sure did the trick! Dry heat and no more foggy dripping windows. When we got back to the dock I was a couple of boats behind another 2859 that had just repowered with twin 200HP Suzukis. He said he cruised at 30mph at 18 gph and WOT at 42 mph. I wish Id have been able to snap a photo. It looked very nice. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7145.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	618256 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7248.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	618257
          "REEL WILD"
          2001 2859 FNM 300 Diesel-Bravo 2
          Anchorage, Alaska
          If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes.......

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7252.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	618263 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7247.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	618260 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7200.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	618262 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7227.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	618261 Here are a few more. Not the most successful fishing/shrimping trip but one of the best as far as weather and getting out on the water after a very long winter!
            "REEL WILD"
            Anchorage, Alaska

Comment

• AK Doulos
              AK Doulos commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey AKNurse,

Do you have more pictures of your pot puller? I was thinking about installing it in the same spot but didn't know exactly how I was going to do it. Any and all pictures and install tips are appreciated!

Nice! I'm trying to get my boat from Florida to South Dakota so I can drive it back up to AK. The original transporter has gone MIA so I'm back to the drawing board... I can't wait to get it up and cruise.

Comment

So, cant you go and get the boat your self?

Comment

• AK Doulos
                AK Doulos commented
                Editing a comment
                I can but it's just a very long trip from Florida to Alaska. I'm trying to get at least half of the trip done for me.

Yes it would from Mt. it would be a week, what about flying down pick up a truck to sell in Ak. you might pay for the trip,

Comment

Originally posted by AK Doulos View Post
                Nice! I'm trying to get my boat from Florida to South Dakota so I can drive it back up to AK. The original transporter has gone MIA so I'm back to the drawing board... I can't wait to get it up and cruise.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7323.PNG
Views:	171
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	619327 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7324.PNG
Views:	166
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	619328
                "REEL WILD"
                Anchorage, Alaska

Comment

• AK Doulos
                  AK Doulos commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking about mounting it there but didn't know how sturdy the backing is. When did you install it and how is it holding up? I'm assuming it's just bolted in correct? Thank you for the pictures!

If youre going to be pulling many pots I would recommend an Electra dyne. Not cheap but you wont be disappointed.
                "REEL WILD"
                Anchorage, Alaska

Comment

• AK Doulos
                  AK Doulos commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah my buddy has the electradyne and he loves it. I just need to figure out a way to get it so I can get a pot puller/davit boom securely attached to the boat.

Originally posted by BL2859 View Post

Thanks for the info. I also would like to be able to run on generator. I have a Ryobi 1800 running/ 2300 starting. Supposedly the MarinAire 14000 btu draws 10.1 running and 15.3 starting. I never thought about being able to use other things simultaneously. I do use a sleep apnea machine, so that’s something I should take in to consideration too. I really would like to go with the 14k btu but I better check what the sleep machine uses. Maybe the 11k btu is better. Thanks again for the response, you brought up lots of things to help me with my decision. Like you said it’s a big investment, I wan to get it right the first time, with no regrets.
                Your Ryobi 1800 should do it no problem, remember it's the starting amps that is the problem for most gens. A 16k Ac will spike 70 amps after that it's 10 amps. I have had the ac running and the microwave no problem with 2k gen on eco mode.
                I highly recommend the Marinair (Not Marine Air) units, they draw the least amount of power, quieter and they also have freon gauges and service ports built in. Half the time troubleshooting ANY ac system involves hooking gauges up to the unit, other units you cant even to that or service freon= deal breaker. I am running the 16K and mounted it under the port side aft facing seat as this was easier than the v berth install to run the wiring, the thru hull and ducting. I made a plenum manifold right at the unit with a 6" flex duct to the door under that seat( You still open that door can use the area for some storage and access to the unit with the duct still connected) Another 4" duct is plumbed down and aft into the rear berthing closet and up with a vent facing up. I also ran an external duct aft under the cockpit couch with 2 vents so I can close the rear eisenglass in the cockpit area and air condition the helm/ cockpit. I run an RV AC EasyStart unit ( about $300) and run it with a Honda 2000 suitcase gen on the transom. The Honda will run everything without the smart start device and the generator on Eco mode BTW - The gen does do a wild rpm spool up for a split second when the AC cycles on and off with the thermostat but settles down right away - I have run over 1000 hrs like this with NO issues. Put that EasyStart device on.... night and day well worth the $300.
                I also tinted the cockpit windows with Llumar AirBlue 80 - it's clear tint that's legal for car front windshields and cuts down the heat immensely - well worth the $400.
                I also mounted my shorepower receptacle on the transom above the rub rail port side that way you only need a 2' adapter cord, the gen sits on a 2' stand and it runs while under way no issues.
                1997 2859 7.4 carb

Comment

• PickleRick
                  PickleRick commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Got pics of your geneator stand? I run a 9000 btu mermaid unit. I ran it with a 2300 watt generac inverter last summer, if i filled up at 10 pm im having to refuel at 5 to 6am when I want to be sleeping.

I upgraded to a gp 3000i which is a little bit bigger dimensionally than the Honda/generac 2300 units and 70 lbs, still a suitcase style until.

Im hoping I can run the coffee maker without turning off the AC and extend my run time a few hours with the bigger fuel tank and hopefully less rpm to run the same load.

I really need to upgrade to a 14k unit, I was told the 9k unit works but struggles in the Southeast summer temps.

As of now I set it on the swim platfrom roped off to the dingy motor mount and stern cleats, I don't trust running it beyond idle or trolling speeds.

My stand is far from fancy or special, it's one of those little rubber maid step stools. I bought one of those real squishy foam kitchen floor mats and cut it in small sections, one piece under the legs of the stand and one or two layers under the genset to help from shifting but mostly for the low frequency vibrations when it is under load. All secured with a line from the starboard cleat to the center rod holder ( used the mast from the cutting table) and a clove hitch thru the handle of the genset. I cruise all day @ 24 mph, in South Florida ICW craziness and chop and the gen has yet to move on it's pedestal even with heavy rocking. Just remember the aft end of any boat it the smoothest ride as far as pitching goes so it really is a smooth ride for the gen.
                I also brazed a 3/4 nipple to the muffler and fabricated a 1" exhaust out of some old flexible stainless aviation bleed air ducting I had laying around, wrapped it with automotive header wrap and when on the hook can screw it on and divert the exhaust down to the water. The end actually just dips underwater so it make a slight burbling noise but def cuts the noise.
                1997 2859 7.4 carb

Comment

I can run my coffeemaker or microwave when the AC is running but have to pay attention if the AC cycles off - if the AC tries to start wile the microwave is on the gen will handle it but it just sounds scary as the rpms spool up and you would think it's over revving, so I just time things out.
                  I looked at the larger non- honda gensets but decided that the eco-mode function on the Honda to save fuel was too important than the extra 800 watts. I have the older 2000 watt version so I knew the newer 2200 watt one would handle anything I throw at it. Also Honda has a bluetooth app so you can can monitor a bunch of functions thru ur phone like run time based on power usage, hours on unit, oil life and it has a built in CO minder that will shut the gen off.
                  As far as extending operating time ( Yes I know ALL about that having to refuel at 0 dark thirty when you wanted to sleep in) You may be able to find these modded fuel caps on Ebay for the Generac or modify your cap. I hacked apart the vent mechanism, drilled and tapped the center with a 1/4" NPT tap and installed an outboard quick release fuel valve. I bought a little 3 gallon outboard fuel tank and line assy at a flea market, hook your aux tank up and give the primer a couple squeezes and it will self draw from the tank ( just have to make sure your cap is on tight). Easily all day and a couple nights non stop running AC.
                  You can either buy a spare cap of keep another quick release fitting to use when not using the aux tank as you need to vent the tank or it will vacuum lock.

Marinair tried to recommend the 9 k unit and I told them " you guys DO see we own a floating greenhouse right?" I also told him I more than likely want to pipe some air in the cockpit so they agreed on the 16k.
                  With the ceramic tint and a shop squirrel fan on the floor of the cabin entranceway blowing cabin air up we can make the cockpit more than comfortable mid summer day in Florida
                  1997 2859 7.4 carb

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. I got to run my new gp3000i this weekend. So far just to test out tv/video games and make some coffee. Still too early for AC in South Carolina. Im a dealer for both honda, generac and Briggs and Stratton inverter generators. So far I believe the ryobi ryi2200 has the longer run time in that size range I've tested but we don't have ideal lab equal load testing at the shop. During power outages from hurricanes/winter ice storms we run customers units for a few hours to run our lights/tools before calling them good.

I may try to deal with the 9k unit this summer then upgrade. Im sure I can find a buyer for a 2 yr old unit that's only ever seen fresh water. I run 70 degrees from 9pm until about 6am. When the sun comes out in the morning she cant keep up.

Comment

I can’t wait to try my 14k MarinAire. Hope to launch boat next weekend. Not sure when I’ll get temps warm enough to try a/c. I’ll try 1800 ryobi also. Once I try out everything, I’ll be sure to report results back here.

Comment

Working...
                      X