Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has not broken down the fabric. I've been applying for days, going heavier in the stubborn areas. Scrubbing makes the monkey fur look more like prematurely balding shag carpet.

So far no negative effects on mine. I've used 2 bottles so far plus a few 50/50 bottles of bleach and water.

If it didn't clean it my only next option would be removal. So ruin it or clean it...something had to happen.

Originally posted by jongleur View Post

I've never tried that. I always spray and scrub and
    it doesn't work very well. Does the bleach break
    down the fabric? I'm guessing not. I'll have to try
    it next time. Scrubbing doesn't do the monkey fur
    any favors.

Comment

Last night I worked on the really stubborn spots. Once they were well saturated I found using a shop vac to suck the material dry really helped remove the stains. If they were still present id reapply, let sit a few min then repeat. I left a box fan blowing in the v berth all night so hopefully I'll have everything dry tonight

Comment

You are absolutely correct, what do you have to lose. How careful are you with drips that hit things below?
        Wayne,

Washington State, Salish Sea

1993 2859, 5.7L, Bravo 2, Seahawk II MMSI 338384974
        1988 Trophy 2160, 4.3L, VP Duoprop MMSI 338120888
        1988 1750 Bass & Ski, Force 125

Comment

For over thr dinnett I layed down one of the adult style lounge floats and an old towel. For the v berth I just rolled the mattress over and did one side at a time. I spot cleaned areas of the v berth monkey fur too. I vacuumed everthing while I was in there. If anyting dripped down on the material under the v berth mattress it didn't hurt it. I sprayed carefully to avoid much drippage.

Comment

• Seahawks II
            Seahawks II commented
            Editing a comment
            Every boat I've owned has had monkey fur that was unsightly and I have always just lived with it rather than go through removing and replacing. I'll give your method a try for sure. Thanks!

Do a inconspicuous spot first, see how it works for you.

Comment

Great pictures, Rick and I will try your bath room spray on my bad areas, winer is knocking on the door, so on good days I work on the boat, 24 is projected for the high on Sat.
            Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
            96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Hey guys. I'm gonna replace my oil cooler on my 93 7.4. (454) where is the best place to find a new replacement? I don't need the integrated power steering cooler, just oil.
              SeniorEta 1993 Bayliner 2859 7.4L

Comment

When I need mercruiser parts i run my serial number through the mercruiser websites parts look up, whether it be engine, leg or transom assembly.

I then take that part number and Google it. Sometimes eBay or Amazon has it cheapest, sometimes it's an online dealer. A wrong order from Amazon or Wal-Mart.com is by far the easiest to return.

I don't have the luxury of a local dealer I can reach on a lunch break, id need a half day off. If I had a local dealer I'd get to know their parts department well.

Also random question for you guys. Who uses their 2858/2859 in an area popular with jet skis? I feel like the pied piper calling out with the 2858 when i take off across the lake. Its like the jet skis can feel the wake with some 6th sense. If I stop they'll wait around until i start again just to follow the wake. She does make some beautiful wake id love to hit with a knee board if I was 15 years younger.

I don't mind it if they keep their distance but occasionally they get too close. Ive often thought a blow up doll thrown overboard could potentially scare one of these idiots enough to never get too close to another boat but i also don't want to explain to friends and family(especially my kid) why a blow up doll is always on the boat. A harpoon is an option that's less likely to get me uninvited to social events but much more likely to get me boarded by the guys at the DNR.

20 years ago boaters were more respectful and courteous.

Comment

Water cannon. Slingshot with ice cubes. They hurt like hell and the evidence melts.
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "GetAway"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I really like your thought process

Comment

We have rails on the hard tops of the 2859. One of my sanctions has been damaged forward of the windshield some time before I took ownership. Id like to replace it. I have the replacment in hand but these are held on with thru bolts with nuts on them. There is a head liner material between the windshield and the outer edge of the hard top towads the bow.

and secrets to accessing these 2 nuts without jacking my engine headliner?

Comment

Originally posted by PickleRick View Post
                        We have rails on the hard tops of the 2859. One of my sanctions has been damaged forward of the windshield some time before I took ownership. Id like to replace it. I have the replacment in hand but these are held on with thru bolts with nuts on them. There is a head liner material between the windshield and the outer edge of the hard top towads the bow.

and secrets to accessing these 2 nuts without jacking my engine headliner?
                        Does yours have a shelf? I posted pics of the removal of mine - but I believe that was in the old forum. Screws are almost always in the material folds
                        97 2859

Comment

I dont have shelves in the helm area. The part I need to replace is at the front part of the hard top forward of the spot light. This is the end fitting. Directly below it is the overhang that shades the windshield.

Comment

Rick - it’s a two piece panel that is screwed into 2x2 wood. Just find the screws and remove.
                            97 2859

Comment

The foot of the rail, next to my son's left foot. There is no wood under the hard top to remove. The screws must be thru bolted. When I hit them with the impact driver they just spun

Comment

Working...
                              X