Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled some 200 ft of chain out the anchor locker. Cleaned a good season of algae out if the bottom. Put in a few table spoons of dawn and filled her up. No leaks into the v berth little hole.

what i did notice is my bow eye is loose and sits close to the water line by 18 or so inches or less. I sprayed the bow eye with the hose and water appeared at the weep hole inside.

When i launch ill loosen it up a bit, apply some 5200 and tighten it back.

Comment

I recommend that you install a new backing plate, I have a 3in X 1/4 aluminum plate I think 10 inches long, with a 2nd eye on the inside for securing the rode.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

My bow eye is in the very top of the v berth, not the anchor locker. I will look into adding a backing plate, the fiberglass is solid there. Seems like it just vibrated loose from either the diesel power plant or the 3000 some odd mile trip from Cali to the east coast. Maybe a combination of both.

either way, a backing plate would be a good idea as I trailer load it nearly every weekend all summer long.

I got impatient and resealed it on the trailer. With a what's left of the hurricane coming through tomorrow til Friday it might not be a good weekend to launch.

I know my holding tank, shower and water tank are all leak free as she stays bone dry when not in the water. All thru hulls and hoses to and from stay dry in the water. I have 3 total thru hulls and only one under the cabin where I'm taking the gallon or two per weekend.

Comment

Just a thought, on the leak problem put some food coloring in you fresh water tank, could be a leaking hose? B ow eye not in the anchor locker, did not know that one.

Comment

Mine is in the v berth, I posted the pic of it. I don't even have an eyelet for my anchor rode in my locker. When i hit rope its time to stop. I wouldn't trust the big knot.

I've filled my water tank. Flushed the toilet. Ran the a.c. off a garden hose. Used all sinks and drains. All checked out of water with everything dry. All sea cocks are dry in the water.

Was only taking in ok the water. Im always tied transom to the beach and bow to boat wake so im taking waves on bow all weekend

Comment

Is the bulkhead separating the anchor locker and forward storage - bunk leaking?

Comment

Negative. I filled the anchor locker up with dawn/water so I could try and locate soapy water in the forward compartment/cabin bilge. She stayed dry and soap free while i cleaned and scrubbed the locker.

I only noticed water when spraying the bow eye with water.

Comment

Next gunnel trim leaking in spot you cant see, some of the fasners go through to the inner pads, have found leaks there, have had one side window leaking. just problems I have had.

Comment

My windows were leaking like crazy. I spent a day sealing them.

where is the gunnel trim you are talking about?

I have one more launch planned this year before she is winterized

Comment

One possibility is that a leak could be occurring through the rub rail track to the inside of the front birth. The 2859 port and starboard trim pieces are secured by screws that are attached through the outside track before the rub rail is inserted. When I had my rat issue, I had to remove these 2 pieces of trim as the rat chewed on both. I just pulled them off the bulkhead and cut off the screws and sealed the screw shanks. I had both pieces replaced using Velcro and they have stayed secure. These screws do not hold the rub rail track. Click image for larger version

Name:	A26D1096-B390-439F-9F4D-C4862CBE283A.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	600646
                      Dave Stancil
                      Bayliner #1 in slip
                      1993 2859 Classic
                      10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
                      Bayliner #2 in garage
                      2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

One additional point.. I installed RV rain gutter over each of the galley windows. These are adhesive and were easy to install. They seem to keep some of the water out of the window channels. Here is the website:https://www.rvgutters.com
                        Dave Stancil
                        Bayliner #1 in slip
                        1993 2859 Classic
                        10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
                        Bayliner #2 in garage
                        2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

I do have rain gutters over the windows as well as screen inserts.

i have will check the v berth shelves for dampness when running. I do the v berth laundry every Sunday when we unload and the mattress has never been wet or damp. Same with carpet under the starboard cabinets and the dinnett. If those were leaking id imagine the carpet and floor should be damp.

it looks like the po had called some 4200 the rub rail where it meets the hull on top and bottom.

Before resealing the windows I had soaked v berth shelves after any rain. I have black stains around the windows and shelf monkey fur thanks to it leaking before i aquired her. The plan is to use an upholstry cleaner to salvage it this winter.

Comment

As Distancil indecated the rub ral can leak if not the screws the the rivets can be a problem. When sitting in the water at the dock for longer or over night is ther water down and a bit forward of the water through hul fitting?

Comment

We never stay at a dock, we are usually at anchor.

i have 3 thru hulls. 2 are in the engine bilge that stays dry usually. The only time I've had water in the engine bilge is when I had a wash down hose blow out.

The toilet fresh water supply comes from the thru hull in the cabin bilge. If we are in the v berth the water will stay towards my bow thruster near the v berth. The area around the thru hull shows no signs of leaking, with water present its still usally dusty all around the thru hull.

If we are on the deck the water will be towards the cabin step. So far it's never gotten deep enough to activate the bilge pump under the step but it takes more than a few gallons to get deep enough.

i will plan on pulling the rubber trim and resealing all the rub rail mounting screws over the winter. I have a few new bow rail foot mounts (sanctions) to install as well.

Comment

• builderdude
                                builderdude commented
                                Editing a comment
                                No sillycone. Use marine grade UV stable urethane👍🏼

Most of my rail is exposed while under tarp. I mainly keep it tarped so the windows can stay open and it's always well aired out. Like I said before the boat only took on water when in the water so I'm skeptical it's the rail. I will be launching Friday. I'll uncover and hose down the rail then look for water. We had about 4 inches of rain since my last launch and shes still dry with what's exposed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X