This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
    Hi PickleRick, The answer is NO, have been out of commission with a bad hip, now replaced and learning to walk, the 2859 is still in dry dock was scheduled to have the drive pulled to change my gears to a 181 ratio, but I called and the service manager spaced the job, so maybe on Mon. normally this would bee self help but not jet up to wrestling a drive, I will keep all of you posted when I hit water, hope is the goal.
    I have the VM 4.2 220hp 2859. I do not know my gearing on what i assume to be the stock bravo 2. I currently have an 18.75x17p 3 blade solas. If my tach is correct my max out 2700 ish rpms at 22.5 mph with 20 years worth of rough bottom paint.

I am on plane at 2400 rpms @ 17 knots of 18 to 19 mph

I have to use my trim tabs to get on plane but it doesn't take too long. My big se300 hydrofoil also helps.

i have a 16p hill marine 4 blade prop ordered that should give more stern lift, rpm and top speed.

i am looking forward to seeing how you make out as i will eventually need a more parts support friendly enfine.

Comment

Yes with all the modifications is a bit of trial a error, so far I am in the error column, o well.
      Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
      96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
        Yes with all the modifications is a bit of trial a error, so far I am in the error column, o well.
        Fritz, you get the new gear ratio swapped in?
        Details dude🙂
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I've wanted a diesel boat for a long time and have been looking at conversions. I was stuck on the om606 turbo Mercedes for a while but the 3.0 v6 vw tdi also looks promising. If it shares the same bolt pattern as the common 4/6cyl vw engines a sbc adapter is readily available a long with heavy GM cast flywheel to mount the coupler.

I already have vag com for diagnostcs and service work. The hp to weight ratio is something that even yanmar fans can appreciate. Getting the oem VW auto ecu as a remapped marine tune stand alone will be no issue and I can buy manifolds/turbos/cross pipe/down pipe and exhaust tube all for mercrusier.

As much as id love to buy one already marinized from merc it's seriously not work 30k to 40k.

merc sells them in the 260 hp level, 4x4 guys are pushing them.well beyond that. I find 250hp a good safe target , it's near 500 lbs less than my current 1000 lbs 4.2 diesel. She revs to 4000 (3600-3800 is supposed to be my max rpms wot) but i want it for the peak torque around the 2500 rpm range which is where I currently cruise. This means i won't need to regear and possibly wont even need to reprop.

Comment

Hi Dave, still in a holding pattern, just called to see if there on the way to pick up the drive, but too early, will post as soon as it is swapped out.

Comment

It was with a bit of regret that I just handed the keys for my 2859 over to new owners (young family with two boys). This was my first boat, and it ignited a passion in me for being out on on the water, and mostly in fishing. In the 4 years I owned it, I put 1000 hours on it. So with that I've moved on to a boat that is primarily fishing, and can do cruising, a Boston Whaler 285. Got a great buy from my dock neighbor that taught me everything I now know about salmon and ling cod fishing.
            Best of luck to everyone on here, get out and enjoy those boats guys.
            97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by JThiessen View Post
              It was with a bit of regret that I just handed the keys for my 2859 over to new owners (young family with two boys). This was my first boat, and it ignited a passion in me for being out on on the water, and mostly in fishing. In the 4 years I owned it, I put 1000 hours on it. So with that I've moved on to a boat that is primarily fishing, and can do cruising, a Boston Whaler 285. Got a great buy from my dock neighbor that taught me everything I now know about salmon and ling cod fishing.
              Best of luck to everyone on here, get out and enjoy those boats guys.
              Didn’t take long selling your BL, stick around BOC so you can brag about all the fish you be catchin😁
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I am loving this boat. She sips fuel, is amazing for weekending and with the bow thruster as easy to launch/retrieve as near any 20 ft cuddy cabin. Finally got her named(if you want to call it that) and added some vinyl to keep the kiddo and admiral into loop on mods/decor.

i have heard "HEY YOU GUYS!!!" shouted about a million times on the lake or trailering down the freeway this summer.

I also got odd looks when i told the gas station attendant i needed the diesel pump turned on for boat.

Comment

Hill marine big cow bravo 2 four blade prop. 16p. 18.5 or 18.75, can't remember. Between the tabs, the hydrofoil and prop I get on plane super quick. Still Max out about 22 to 23 mph but I'm working on getting more.

Comment

Good news, my tach was way off. Finally got my tiny tach off back order and calibrated my tach.

lightly loaded im hitting 3750 rpms wot on a somewhat calm day.

Bad news (for most folks) is 22.5 to 23mph is all shes gets.

Found the sweet spot for crusing is approx 3200 to 3300 rpms doing about 17 mph. Tabs deployed a good bit there. I have an se300 hydro foil and the hill marine prop to help with stern lift.

Comment

Hi PickleRick, your question concerning a floor hatch, look on page 11 in this section of my floor openings.

Comment

Hi fritzman I have a question about the anchor locker drain. The past 2 weekends ive found tons of water under my main cabin hatch. Not enough to activate the bilge pump under the step when on plane but enough that it bothers me. I shop vac it dry when i trialer home.

Both weekends I had tons of kids(and their parents) jumping off the roof like its a dock plus rain storms.

I hunted the source down to my anchor locker i believe. I can see the drain outlet under the v berth, above the bow eye.

I thought the anchor locler had a drain on the outside of the bow under the little silver diverter?

I sit nose down at anchor, I've got 200 or more ft of chain plus the air conditioner. Then throw two adults on the v berth every night.

Comment

So if the water is from the anchor locker there needs to be a leak going from the locker to the space under the forward bunk, to check plug the outside drain and with a hose pump water in. 1 I have had my fresh water tank leak, 2 shower pump drain leaking? 3 Water under the step can come from the Eng. compartment Bayliner did not install a pump there. read my post on Gas tank replacement - repair.

Comment

Look under completed projects remove and replace gas tank 7-16-2015, sill no gear change on my boat, winter is coming.

Comment

It's from somewhere forward of and above the v berth. Only happens in rain or wet people all over the front deck. You can see the water trail in the pic from the little drain hole. Bilge stays dry. I store on trialer and have tested all holding tank/fresh water systems and eliminated each. Shower and ac now drain into catch basin.

engine compartment stays dry all weekend so long as i put a passenger on the swim platfrom while draining ice from my coolers

Comment

Working...
                              X