Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J. Thiessen, the one thing I like on my oil changer is I can change oil when in the water plus prime the filter, yes you can fill that first but is tricky not to make a mess.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

I spent a "sick' day searching the internet for motors.
      Found a few on EBay - some "complete" 7.4 MPI's out of various other brand boats. Seem to run 6500 give or take. I assume that if it comes with an ECU, that I can probably find a means to reprogram the ECU? For example, one of the motors is in Wyoming, apparently came out of a Donzi. Still not sure if I really want to deal with the programming aspect of this. Also, I assume that these "newer" MPI motors wont work with the older Bravo II outdrives? I'm still leaning towards just sticking with the Carb motor.
      If I do, is upgrading it to a Magnum worth the added cost? 4 bolt mains, Roller rockers, etc? I'm not looking for any higher performance out of it - 30+ mph seems to be about right for this hull (at least for my experience level).
      97 2859

Comment

• builderdude
        builderdude commented
        Editing a comment
        Carb or mpi the drive won’t care.

While all of the gear heads will advocate for four bolt mains, 2 bolt will put out 400 HP without any issues for a long while
      SeniorEta 1993 Bayliner 2859 7.4L

Comment

JThiessen, one pretty important thing I did when my engine was out is to replace the limber hole pipes in engine stringers. In my year (1997) they were made of flexible PVC pipe with silicone sealer on both ends. The same is true for the garboard plug installation, again flexible PVC with silicone. Silicone fails pretty fast in the bilge "environment", so the water can get to the stringers and transom. I have replaced mine with fiberglass pipe pieces that were epoxied in the stringers. Then all bilge was painted with glossy white epoxy paint, still looks great.

And of course i had rebuilt the transom assembly with new everything, including the stainless upper swivel shaft. Bilge stays dry with the exception of some water from "powerwashing" after the fishing.
        Alex
        1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
        1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

• JThiessen
          JThiessen commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent idea - I think I recall reading your post on this sometime in the past.

Ill be pulling my 7.4l with a cutler hyperflow MPI and monitor full block cooling system this winter. ill likely replace the b2 as well.
        Im looking at diesels for better range.

Comment

Originally posted by DadCrawls View Post
          Ill be pulling my 7.4l with a cutler hyperflow MPI and monitor full block cooling system this winter. ill likely replace the b2 as well.
          Im looking at diesels for better range.
          How do you propose to improve the B2?
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I went to a Bravo IIIX stronger than the regular Bravo III, so good luck with the project.
            Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
            96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Got down to the boat today to do some more digging into where my oil leak is coming from. Tried using the Dewalt Camera (like a bore scope), but it was finicky and I couldnt get it to record today. Instead ended up just using my phone. Found two locations that looks as though oil could be coming from, but neither were significantly bad.
              First was the oil adaptor - it basically just had a sheen of oil on it. Second, down underneath, there appears to be oil on the bottom of what looks like part of the flywheel housing (almost looks like a support bar) You can kinda see what looks like a drip over on the far side of it. If this is the culprit, likely a rear seal I'd guess? I attached one other photo of the flex coupling - either my service guy cleaned up the zerk really good, or its never had any grease applied through it.
              97 2859

Comment

Originally posted by JThiessen View Post
                Got down to the boat today to do some more digging into where my oil leak is coming from. Tried using the Dewalt Camera (like a bore scope), but it was finicky and I couldnt get it to record today. Instead ended up just using my phone. Found two locations that looks as though oil could be coming from, but neither were significantly bad.
                First was the oil adaptor - it basically just had a sheen of oil on it. Second, down underneath, there appears to be oil on the bottom of what looks like part of the flywheel housing (almost looks like a support bar) You can kinda see what looks like a drip over on the far side of it. If this is the culprit, likely a rear seal I'd guess? I attached one other photo of the flex coupling - either my service guy cleaned up the zerk really good, or its never had any grease applied through it.
                What I’d suggest is to wipe everything down clean with paper towels then wrap clean dry paper towels around the oil filter adapter and other areas you suspect are possible sources of your leak. After a run check those areas for signs of oil being absorbed.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

For a strange oil leak, my suspects will be the rear oil seal, and the remote filter setup adapter. When my engine was out, I changed my rear oil seal and put a new o-rings in the adapter, and not a single drop of oil in the bilge since then.
                  Alex
                  1997 2859, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II
                  1993 2452, 5.7 Bravo II - SOLD

Comment

• JThiessen
                    JThiessen commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just ordered a gasket and O-ring for the adaptor - cheap enough to try before unbolting and pulling the motor.

On going saga of finding my oil leak. Went down to the boat with the intent of taking it out for a short spin - good weather today, fairly warm at just above 50. Opened the hatch to check the bilge, and noticed that there is a definitive green tint to the oil - first time I've noticed that. Checked the gear lube level and it looks fine - right at the full mark. Traced the tube from the lube container back and couldnt see a leak from it. I dont believe there are any other green tinted oils correct?
                  Disclaimer - I cant say for certain that the green tint didnt come from me spraying Simple Green down there a few months ago - not sure if it would have shown up that way or not after a few months of being on the surface of the water in there.
                  Attached Files
                  97 2859

Comment

On going saga of finding my oil leak. Went down to the boat with the intent of taking it out for a short spin - good weather today, fairly warm at just above 50. Opened the hatch to check the bilge, and noticed that there is a definitive green tint to the oil - first time I've noticed that. Checked the gear lube level and it looks fine - right at the full mark. Traced the tube from the lube container back and couldnt see a leak from it. I dont believe there are any other green tinted oils correct?
                    Disclaimer - I cant say for certain that the green tint didnt come from me spraying Simple Green down there a few months ago - not sure if it would have shown up that way or not after a few months of being on the surface of the water in there.
                    Your pic of the remote oil adapter shows some green color as well. Is the lube reservoir mounted anywhere above the adapter?
                    Dave
                    Edmonds, WA
                    "THE FIX"
                    '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

No, reservoir is on the opposite side of the motor
                      97 2859

Comment

No, reservoir is on the opposite side of the motor
                        The pic is a little fuzzy but sure looks wet and with some possible corrosion at the forward fitting at that adapter
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556

Misc. projects thread

Comment

I’ve always seemed to have a bit more water than most - seemed to be related to my washing of the back deck every day. However, this time I found my water pump inlet hose clamp didn’t quit seal. Put a second one on and adjusted the original. Hopefully got a good seal on it.
                          that fitting is my Airmar transducer.
                          97 2859

Comment

• builderdude
                            builderdude commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Airmar transducer? I was referring to the remote oil filter adapter in post 282

• JThiessen
                            JThiessen commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Ah- yes! There was a bit on that one.
                        Working...
                        X