Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Southern California Hino Guru, a really nice and ethical mechanic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern California Hino Guru, a really nice and ethical mechanic.

When we were looking for our boat we contacted Earl, the Hino Guru, to see if he could help with a mechanical inspection. He could not, we are in Southern California, he is in Washington, too far to travel. But he strongly recommended a local mechanic he has trained named Steve Bush. I was leery but we made the appointment, and Steve did the inspection. He is, in my opinion, The Guru of Hino engines. He has since given us great guidance and selfless assistance. I know we often make our complaints known when there are bad results from interaction with those we use for service. In the same vein we should help our fellow boater if we find someone with integrity and knowledge. Steve came to our rescue on a number of occasions, a couple of times at short notice. He knows all diesels it seems but Hino engines are his specialty- he really knows them inside and out. I highly recommend him if you need a great boat mechanic in Southern California.

Awesome....THANK YOU for sharing! maybe you post his contact info for those of us in So Cal
    Mark
    USCG OUPV
    1990 4588
    Carlsbad, CA

Comment

I believe Steve is who Earl recommended to me back in 2008 for our boat purchase in Long Beach. Thorough survey!
      Sean
      1987 3870
      Crimson Pride II
      Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
      MMSI: 338080226

Comment

Hey guys - I contacted Earl as well and he gave me Stephen Bush's information and shared mine with Stephen. Stephen quickly reached out to me, but I was a few weeks out of actually wanting the work done and he indicated a 2-3 week lead-time would be sufficient.

So, late June/early July I reached out to set up a date/time for him to come work on my boat. After several texts/calls, I finally got a response and a commitment on a date (9/1/21). As it turns out, Stephen wasn't prepared to work (I had already communicated what I needed - basically, a thorough service - understanding he would likely find other areas that needed attention beyond a solid service) so he used that time to review (again) what I was looking for him to do. He wasn't here more than 20-30 minutes and left, promising a quote within a couple of days and leaving the impression he'd be ready to start work when I ok'd the estimate.

It is over 3 weeks later, I've not heard hide nor hair from him, and he has completely ignored calls/texts since. I've heard that Earl could be bribed with Root Beer (even though Earl's worked on my boat, I never had to use the root beer bribe) - does anyone know how to motivate Stephen Bush? What bribe(s) does he respond to?

Very glad others have had a positive and apparently responsive experience with Stephen Bush, but I sure haven't.

Comment

I'm sure your kind post will help
          Tally and Vicki
          "Wickus" Meridian 341
          MMSI 338014939

Comment

Working...
          X