Slip Availability in the San Juan’s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slip Availability in the San Juan’s?

Just closed on a 1996 4087 in Anacortes. Very excited about this shift from sailing to motor yachting. The shocker for me has been the lack of available 44-48ft slips in the San Juan’s. I have literally contacted every marina on or around the islands and have found nothing other than way north at the Canadian border. Anyone in the PNW have recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.

Anchor Cove is a great private marina that's just next to the Guemes Ferry dock in Anacortes. It is a condo marina, so the slips are individually owned. Their website currently shows a number of slips for sale and for rent/lease. If you are interesting in renting or leasing only, I suggest you also contact the owners that are selling. Often an owner will take a slip off the market an rent it instead.

https://anchorcovemarina.com/ (click on, moorage information)
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Ditto on Anchor Cove.
      When do you need it? Just for the summer? A few weeks?
      I rent mine out from around July 14th thru August.

David

Comment

Anyone know of condos available with boat slips in Anacortes/La Conner?
        Glen Sherwood
        1987 3270 twin 305’s
        Coupeville, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Gsherwood View Post
          Anyone know of condos available with boat slips in Anacortes/La Conner?
          To my knowledge there aren't any condos, but there are houses with slips at Shelter Bay in Laconner and Skyline Marina in Anacortes.
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Is there nothing available in Anacortes? How would you get to your boat if it is already at the islands?
            Blaine usually has slips, but like you said, that is at the border. I had to keep my boat up there before moving it down to Bellingham. Once you have a slip in Blaine, you can get on the expedited waiting list for Bellingham.
            Esteban
            Huntington Beach, California
            2018 Element 16
            Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
            Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Take a chart and use a circle compass to define some distances. If Anacortes is the goal, then run a radius from there that includes Bellingham. Obviously you’ll find Skyline, Shelter Bay, Twin Bridges and LaConner in there and maybe Oak Harbor. Blaine and the Semiamoo resort across the harbor, if you take that same radius and center it on The Port of Blaine, would be a straight shot to the Gulf Islands but you would have to do something about clearing customs. That means Nexus for everyone on board. When you begin running that 35-40 miles, suddenly you are looking a Everett, Port Townsend, Port Ludlow, Port Hadlock as candidates.
              Friday Harbor does, or did in the past, a lottery for summer moorage. It, as well as Roche Harbor are great because you are spending your fuel money on the ferry. However, you are also stuck with the ferry schedule. I have friends that fly in as a more time efficient way, but being retired myself, I’m okay with increasing my carbon footprint.
              What’s your tentative schedule as far as cruising? Every weekend all summer and fall plus a couple of weeks out? You might contact the nearby yacht clubs to see if you can “sleep around” while someone is doing a haul out or long trip. The Port of Everett facilitates subletting slips for up to six months and I’ve done it in the past both as a leasee and leasor and it worked out well.
              I apologize in advance here, I spent too many years doing cost analysis for a living. Another option is to dry store it over by North Harbor Diesel. The storage part is cheap, however they charge around $125 to launch and retrieve. I think that’s for a round trip. Now comes the comparison math. Say the cost of storage is $3/ft, so $135/month for 45’. If the wet slip is around $700/mo, leaving $565 for getting the boat wet. Looks like you could launch once a week all year if the numbers are close. Personally, I’m enjoying being on the hard. I don’t have to worry about anti fouling paint and the anodes last longer for starters.
              How long have you got where you are?
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Do you really want to be in the islands or a short run to them?

I am partial to dry storing. I think the cost is higher than Pcpete is using. Last time I asked in Anacortes it was about $300/mo for 40ish foot boat. Still pays for a lot of launches and saves a lot in traditional haulout and dive service.

While not in Anacortes I am out of the water except when using the boat. Bottom paint is irrelevant unless you care about the cosmetics of it. Zincs are 2-3 years. Downside is wintertime you don't have the 50ish degree water helping keep things from freezing so you have to do a bit of decommissioning of the water system.
                1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

• Pcpete
                  Pcpete commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I couldn’t find an advertised dry storage rate, so I guessed based on what I pay at Dagmars with unlimited launches. Unfortunately, they max out with a 38xx because of the distance between the launching and landing docks.

I agree with kwb and Pcpete. I keep my boat on the hard for most of the year and couldn't be happier. I have the freedom to cruise the Salish Sea, then spend a few weeks in Lake Washington when the water is warm and the kids can swim. It's the best of both worlds and less entropy on the hull and systems. I own a slip in Lake Washington that I rent to an excellent tenant and that rental income covers my costs to keep my boat in dry storage. I think Dagmars is the perfect location. It's an easy in and out to the entire Puget Sound region, and you get unlimited launch and retrieve services. Can't beat it.
                "Fog 1"
                1989 Bayliner 3288
                Twin 305s
                Kenmore, WA

Comment

Another good spot in Anacortes is Pacific Marine Center. Last I was there Ron was running things. He is an old Bayliner Factory guy. Wow, does he know Bayliners! Dry storage was a great deal and if you call ahead your boat will be splashed and tied to their dock when you arrive.
                  http://www.pacmarinecenter.com
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]
                  Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by NorwegianDave View Post
                    I agree with kwb and Pcpete. I keep my boat on the hard for most of the year and couldn't be happier. I have the freedom to cruise the Salish Sea, then spend a few weeks in Lake Washington when the water is warm and the kids can swim. It's the best of both worlds and less entropy on the hull and systems. I own a slip in Lake Washington that I rent to an excellent tenant and that rental income covers my costs to keep my boat in dry storage. I think Dagmars is the perfect location. It's an easy in and out to the entire Puget Sound region, and you get unlimited launch and retrieve services. Can't beat it.
                    My wife and I had boats at Dagmar's for years. We liked it, but we much prefer having it in the water at Anacortes for a few reasons:
                    • The San Juan Islands and the Gulf Islands are close. We got tired of the slog from Everett to the San Juan Islands and back.
                    • We sometimes use the boat as a vacation condo for a night or two and enjoy dining or events in Anacortes; it's walking distance.
                    • We use the boat year round. I got tired of winterizing and de-winterizing a few times each winter when our boats were dry-stored.

Anacortes, WA

Comment

"We use the boat year round. I got tired of winterizing and de-winterizing a few times each winter when our boats were dry-stored".

Oh man, I agree. I have already drained the water/hot water tank twice this winter season!

"Fog 1"
                      1989 Bayliner 3288
                      Twin 305s
                      Kenmore, WA

Comment

It really depends how you use your boat and if you like to/plan to stay on it a lot at the Marina you choose -- for us we are in Semiahmoo and are basically seasonal live aboards. Its a quick trip to both the Gulf islands ( especially with Nexus) or the San Juans, and a nice place to just be at the Marina on your boat. They have limited 50ft slips, but lots of 44 ft ones.
                        Althea -- 2000 3988 270 Cummins, Hull Extension
                        Semiahmoo, WA

Comment

Greetings Althea,
                          I believe we met at Leon and Jennifer’s boat last summer. I had a Catalina 42 on D46 which I just sold. We are considering returning to Semiahmoo but really love Anacortes and having all those great shops nearby. The down side is it’s twice as expensive and seems impossible to find an open slip our size. Thanks for checking in.
                          Debbie and Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Ramos View Post
                            Just closed on a 1996 4087 in Anacortes. Very excited about this shift from sailing to motor yachting. The shocker for me has been the lack of available 44-48ft slips in the San Juan’s. I have literally contacted every marina on or around the islands and have found nothing other than way north at the Canadian border. Anyone in the PNW have recommendations they would be greatly appreciated.
                            Put your name on waiting lists, Friday Harbor can probably get you in fairly quickly. We were there for a while before moving to Roche. Be willing to take a larger slip and move around the marina to your desired size. Keeping your boat on San Juan Island is great, when you go up for a weekend you are already where you want to be or have just a short cruise to another location. The marinas will also use your slip for guest moorage and share revenue with you during the summer, it's a nice bonus being in the location where everyone wants to be.
                            2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
                            370HP Cummins
                            Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
                            Moored at Roche Harbor

Comment

Working...
                            X