No announcement yet.

Solo down the California Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward! Forgot to mention, there’s a West Marine within walking distance if you need anything from them.
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

If you come by the shoreline off the end of the LAX runways today or tomorrow, wave. I'll be parked in the sand there. Visibility is excellent, can see the Catalina Islands 24C /76 F, light wind. Relaxing before a loooong trip via Honolulu to Guam (where I hope to test my snorkel and mask I bought there 10 years ago but couldn't use) and via Japan, Korea, Hong Kong back to Korea. Single captain with 3 newbees, almost like sailing solo.
      Seasoned / good hired help is hard to come by nowadays.
      1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
      5.8L OMC Cobra
      2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
      Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Kevin, I stopped by the Alamitos Bay Marina office. Transient slips, mostly end ties, are available on first come first serve basis. They all have 30 and 50 amp power. The cost is $1.38/ foot and the rental runs from 1200hrs to 1200hrs. However, they do take reservations up to several weeks in advance and that is recommended. You’ll need to provide the vessel documentation info, proof of insurance and your personal info which can all be done via email. [email protected] 562-570-3215. The areas you’d be docked would be walking distance to several restaurants, shopping, and two marine supply shops. You can also big boat or dink to Ralph’s market for provisions. There are restrooms with showers but the one negative is the lack of a laundry in the marina. You can use my car for that, or anything else if you’d like.
        Wherever you end up staying know that the cheapest fuel around is at Yankovich commercial fuel dock in the LA harbor. Diesel is often at least one dollar cheaper than most other places. To access LA Harbor from the north enter the breakwater (a long, man made rock barrier) at Angels Gate and proceed up the harbor a mile or so, the fuel will be on your left.
        Lastly, no matter where you overnight or fuel I suggest you give the Palos Verdes peninsula a wider berth than one would think. That entire area is prone to thick kelp that can easily foul running gear and clog strainers. It’s tempting to run close to the shoreline there due to the majestic beauty but beware.
        Double lastly, I would recommend you spend at least one day in Avalon on Catalina Island. Once there I’ll bet you stay more than one night. Lots to do on the island. Scenic golf cart rentals, golf, shuttle to the airport in the sky for a buffalo burger, etc. There are no slips there, everyone is on a mooring ball. Check in procedure is to meet the harbor patrol at the harbor entrance where they will assign your morning ball number and collect payment. Have your vessel documentation info handy. I suggest you advise the patrol you’re single handing and have them meet you at the ball. They are all great folks, very helpful and will get you all situated and secured. You will definitely want their help especially if there’s any wind as it can get quite tight in that harbor.
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        [email protected]
        Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Originally posted by Jim_Gandee View Post
          Kevin, I stopped by the Alamitos Bay Marina office. Transient slips, mostly end ties, are available on first come first serve basis. They all have 30 and 50 amp power. The cost is $1.38/ foot and the rental runs from 1200hrs to 1200hrs. However, they do take reservations up to several weeks in advance and that is recommended. You’ll need to provide the vessel documentation info, proof of insurance and your personal info which can all be done via email. [email protected] 562-570-3215. The areas you’d be docked would be walking distance to several restaurants, shopping, and two marine supply shops. You can also big boat or dink to Ralph’s market for provisions. There are restrooms with showers but the one negative is the lack of a laundry in the marina. You can use my car for that, or anything else if you’d like.
          Wherever you end up staying know that the cheapest fuel around is at Yankovich commercial fuel dock in the LA harbor. Diesel is often at least one dollar cheaper than most other places. To access LA Harbor from the north enter the breakwater (a long, man made rock barrier) at Angels Gate and proceed up the harbor a mile or so, the fuel will be on your left.
          Lastly, no matter where you overnight or fuel I suggest you give the Palos Verdes peninsula a wider berth than one would think. That entire area is prone to thick kelp that can easily foul running gear and clog strainers. It’s tempting to run close to the shoreline there due to the majestic beauty but beware.
          Double lastly, I would recommend you spend at least one day in Avalon on Catalina Island. Once there I’ll bet you stay more than one night. Lots to do on the island. Scenic golf cart rentals, golf, shuttle to the airport in the sky for a buffalo burger, etc. There are no slips there, everyone is on a mooring ball. Check in procedure is to meet the harbor patrol at the harbor entrance where they will assign your morning ball number and collect payment. Have your vessel documentation info handy. I suggest you advise the patrol you’re single handing and have them meet you at the ball. They are all great folks, very helpful and will get you all situated and secured. You will definitely want their help especially if there’s any wind as it can get quite tight in that harbor.

Jim, thanks for the great information. I'll be reserving a slip for next Monday night (the 15th)

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA - LA PAZ BCS MEXICO

Whats the weather like on the boat
          https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

Pretty soon you are going to want to trade that diesel furnace for AC. Getting close to the triple digits down here.
            Esteban
            Huntington Beach, California
            2018 Element 16
            Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
            Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Jim has shared great info, we are also in Alamitos Bay Marina, love the area. One thing to add is at least 2 days at Catalina One on the "west end" a more rustic but full of nature, great fishing, snorkeling, scuba, kayaking, hiking, might eve see a buffalos all are coves (Ismuth, 4th July, Cherry are few) with moorings and then another at Avalon (harder to get into this time year on weekends but mid week should work. Avalon is more like small Mediterranean town with lost restaurants, bars, golfing, other touristy stuff.

here is link to the west end info...(we love this area try to go every other weekend this time of year if we can

https://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/...ions-and-fees/
              Mark
              USCG OUPV
              1990 4588
              Carlsbad, CA

Comment

• Cool Change 4788
                Cool Change 4788 commented
                Editing a comment
                We too are in Alamitos bay Kevin and if you stop in let us know. Love to buy a drink or two and could even do a happy hour on our boat. We are on dock 5. Dock 2;3;4 have end tie transient slippage and nice sunset views of the bay + can Walk to a local watering hole at the end of the dock. Let’s us know when and where you end up. It would be great to meet you.
            Working...
            X