Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metrodriver
    replied
    In my line of work we would say the most dangerous part of your trip starts now: driving. In the air, or on a boat you can have bad weather, malfunctions or even emergencies but skills, training and preparation will bring most of them to a good outcome. On the road you are dealing with the inexperienced, drunks, doped-up, medicated, lack-of -vision and plain reckless automobile operators that make any drive a gauntlet. I have seen enough bad stuff over the years of long (and short) distance driving that I would never want to be a trucker. Even with flights into war zones (Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya) and other challenging environments (Africa, South America), my drive to the airport ia still the most dangerous part of my job.

Thanks for your trip report, very interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Gergio
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Like I said, surprised by the criticism and invective directed towards other boaters - again.

• drewhaas
    replied
    Kevin- I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Hussongs Cantina in Ensenada. It’s a rite of passage for visiting sailors with a history lesson on Ensenada inside. And by all means- once south of Ensenada don’t hesitate to stop and buy tamales from the abuelas on road side. They’re completely safe and freakin delicious with every kind of filling you can imagine. You’ll recognize the sellers when you see coolers by the side of the road next to a little old lady on a folding chair. You’ll thank me later!

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    commented on 's reply
    I have never seen it orderly going through Dodds at slack which is exactly why I avoid it.

I am more than glad to help if someone needs an assist - I think my presence here with comments for a decade or so shows that. We all get into a pinch once and awhile and need help occasionally.

I also think that if you are out there you need to have on your big-boy pants, be able to take a passing boat wake without expecting everyone to slow to pass at a 0.5kn differential, deviate course by a half mile, and generally be able to fend for yourself. Expecting your long stemmed wine glass to not be rocked while underway... well boating might not be for you.

• Gergio
    replied
    Very much enjoyed vicariously following the journey, and reading everyones comments and encouragement. Admit I was a little taken aback by a few comments criticizing folks who are cautious when transiting Dodds Narrows. I know the vast majority of the boating community have each others backs, and almost preprogrammed to assist and help. Just a bit surprised by the criticism and invective towards people who wait for slack and transit in an orderly fashion.

My two cents.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by Woodsea View Post
    Well done Kevin! A man on a mission and mission accomplished.
    Thanks!!! Now it's relaxation time while the boat gets a little work done.

I am this morning in Chehalais Washington, and will get a late start because it's my day to run the business that I share with my Ex. This afternoon I will drive, and I think I'll make it to the Grants Pass or Medford Oregon area.

I'm just driving down to Ensenada where I have several days of exploring to do before driving down the Baja. in ensenada I'm staying at Hotel Coral and if I like the setting I'll be renting a slip for approx Aug 15 to November 15.

Leave a comment:

• Woodsea
    replied
    Well done Kevin! A man on a mission and mission accomplished.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    commented on 's reply
    A predicted small break in the wind this afternoon but then it’s gonna build up again

• jongleur
    replied
    Originally posted by Simonsen View Post
    Kevin, did you get hauled ok? I was just reading that it's very high winds up there today, someone mentioned Cap Sante too.
    Man! It was very windy at Oak Harbor yesterday from 4 PM
    to about 2 AM this morning. The weather report says it will still
    be windy today. Glad I'm tucked in here.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks!

A nice beer, some clams and a nice shrimp salad! Perfect!

• Cool Change 4788
    commented on 's reply
    Its hard to beat!

• Jim_Gandee
    replied
    Kevin, you certainly deserved Anthony’s! Great job buddy!

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Originally posted by Simonsen View Post
    Kevin, did you get hauled ok? I was just reading that it's very high winds up there today, someone mentioned Cap Sante too.
    Plan changed. I clocked winds at over 35 knots this morning. Changed haul out to tomorrow. A friend came and drove me to go get my truck from Tacoma today.

Tonight I am enjoyiong a cold beer and dinner at anthonys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3EBB9970-34DF-441E-83D1-D4C704C977B3.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	646323 Click image for larger version

Name:	B4CA5F1B-1FB0-4F7A-B5D1-1DB5770059F0.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	646322

Leave a comment:

• Simonsen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pcpete
    replied
    Congratulations on a job well done. When they started importing those Romsdal’s in the ‘60’s I wanted one. By the time I could get one, it was the wrong boat. I still love the look. If you are around Cap Sante Independence Day weekend, come on down to the guest docks. We will be with Edmonds Yacht Club with about 40 boats.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X