Lake Champlain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Champlain

Reaching out to find out if anyone with a 4788 has ever made a trip up the NY Hudson River to Lake Champlain via the NYS canal system. I would like to try it but am concerned about bridge clearance going up river. Would like to hear back from fellow PH owners who have made the trip.

I have made the trip from lake Champlain to Toms River NJ in a 41 Maxum flybridge, the lowest bridge is in Whitehall at the end of the canal headed north. The clearance is listed at 16.85 feet. Just a word of advice, be vigilant in the Narrows between the canal and the lake. There’s a reason it’s called the Narrows😂. I’ve traveled the entire length of the Erie Canal and the Champlain Canal and plan to do the Oswego Canal this year. It’s a great experience, the lock masters and bridge tenders on the NYS canal system are awesome people. The Troy Lock on the Hudson is operated by the Army Corps. Don't expect any help there, you need to be ready with your own lines as unlike the other locks they don’t have any lines hanging. My biggest regret about selling my 3888 and buying a Carver 450 Pilothouse is I can no longer do the western part of the Erie Canal or navigate the Champlain.
    Regards,
    Pete
    1989 3888 sold
    Hino 210's
    1999 Carver 450 Voyager
    Cummins 450’s

Comment

We did it but it was more than 12 years ago - the water level does vary over time. Please check your boats heights as they may be different - ours are below for reference only.

Past post....

Bayliner 4788 clearance

7/19/2013
      ½ fuel , ½ water , no dinghies , full stores, salt water

• 4’3” waterline to walk around amidship
      • 6’3” walk around to flybridge side top amidship
      • 4’4” fly top to arch top
      • 1’5” arch top to radar top
      • 2’2” arch top to light top
      Draft
      3’ 3” to tip of prop
      Calculated heights