Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metrodriver
    replied
    I am going to install an Android (car) radio that has gps (dedicated external antenna), wifi, cell phone dongle, usb, sd card.
    Navionics will be downloaded on it and a Sonarphone 200 wifi depthfinder wiith externally mounted transducer is going to show bottom and fish. Mounting it externally gives it temperature capability, and via the wifi it integrates with Navionics.
    Off course it plays music, makes phone calls, plays movies (downoaded, or streaming).

Leave a comment:

• abastos
    replied
    +1 with Navionics. It seems pretty reliable. I installed a 8 inches Android tablet to be the dedicated gps in the boat (and I have it on my phone as well, as a redundancy). As a third redundancy, I have a few emergency waypoints saved on my Standard Horizon HX890. In case a total blackout in my 2 navionics devices, I can navigate to some emergency points (like the dock where I started my trip, or any channel buoy that I passed through). For example, I live in Seattle area. I have memorized the Elliot Bay Marina position, the 2 red buoys at Shilshole bay (that put me on the way to the lock and then the marina), West Seattle public boat ramp, Bainbridge dock, so I case of an emergency and no navionics, I can boat directly to these points using the radio.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gc1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	694.8 KB
ID:	598447Click image for larger version

Name:	gc2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	656.2 KB
ID:	598446
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Originally posted by RobMick View Post

Navionics app is AWESOME! As far reception is concerned in remote areas, it works off of satellite not towers as phone signals, so it is really consistent and amazingly accurate in every sense, topography, depth, points of interest, etc.
    Yep, uses gps signal , no cell towers needed and for me its way more user friendly and much quicker to “boot up” than my newer Ray marine dragonfly gps/plotter/fish finder unit.
    can also use it on multiple devises so you’ll always have a backup.

Leave a comment:

• RobMick
    replied
    Originally posted by builderdude View Post
    Navionics on your tablet or smart phone.
    Navionics app is AWESOME! As far reception is concerned in remote areas, it works off of satellite not towers as phone signals, so it is really consistent and amazingly accurate in every sense, topography, depth, points of interest, etc.

Leave a comment:

• builderdude
    replied
    Navionics on your tablet or smart phone.

Leave a comment:

• Shipsngiggles
    replied
    I used a Lowrance unit on my runabout that was awesome. To be honest both Garmin and Navico have great products. It's all about what features you want and how much, or little, you want to spend

Leave a comment:

• Centerline2
    replied
    Originally posted by IsleOfZac View Post
    Hey all! Hope this is ok spot to ask this!? Looking at gps units with marine applications...I searched the forum and most I saw were like 8 years ago haha ...
    A lot of lakes I’ve gone to so far have crappy cell phone reception and horrible internet/data connections ...so I would like to get a stand alone probably hand held gps unit.... any recommendations??
    I have been eyeing up the Garmin 78sc or something along those lines....???
    Thx!
    edit: want for maps mainly, don’t care so much for depth or fish....a thru hull transducer for depth is a maybe...or a unit that could do it but won’t give me errors if I don’t use it....

All transducers will shoot thru the hull, it just depends on how well and where you position it..

Any garmin or other brand of unit that will take an sd card will work... but you will have to purchase a lakes card for it...

Leave a comment:

• nwboater62
    replied
    I have always had and like Garmin's.

Leave a comment:

• IsleOfZac
    started a topic Gps recommendations for new lakes

Gps recommendations for new lakes

Hey all! Hope this is ok spot to ask this!? Looking at gps units with marine applications...I searched the forum and most I saw were like 8 years ago haha ...
    A lot of lakes I’ve gone to so far have crappy cell phone reception and horrible internet/data connections ...so I would like to get a stand alone probably hand held gps unit.... any recommendations??
    I have been eyeing up the Garmin 78sc or something along those lines....???
    Thx!

edit: want for maps mainly, don’t care so much for depth or fish....a thru hull transducer for depth is a maybe...or a unit that could do it but won’t give me errors if I don’t use it....
Working...
X