Explore the md. Vs potomac river

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explore the md. Vs potomac river

If like to cruise the potomac river first in my bowrider with a series of day trips if I like it next year hopefully things get better if like to buy a used overnight boat and crude the potomac Chesapeake bay in a series of over night trips. Anyone have favorite areas in either these insistence? And what about dangers like shallow water? Are the marked well.

My limited experience cruising and exploring the Chesapeake taught me that other than the marked channels, it is remarkably shallow. So, "danger" if any depends on your boat's draft. More than 3 feet and you really need to pay attention with a good depth sounder and charts. The good thing is in most areas, the bottom is soft, so going aground is more annoying than dangerous. Lots of crab pots, and the lines can get wound around prop. On the big rivers, be aware there is commercial traffic in the channels. When anchoring, be sure to think about wind...present and future. Finally, the bay is usually tame, but storms come fast, and things can very exciting and perhaps dangerous..so pay attention to weather, especially on those hot hazy summer days.

Comment

Working...
    X