Differences between cruising in a RV Vs a Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between cruising in a RV Vs a Boat

Having recently spent our first time ever in a RV lets talk about differences between the two experiences.

Things that are better in a boat...

First off my 4788 is WAY bigger than a RV.
    Maneuvering a large boat is much easier than maneuvering a large RV
    My boat is MUCH more self sufficient. We desalinate our own water, overboard grey water, and where legal treat our sewage. All we need is diesel fuel and food. In even the biggest RV you are two sets of showers away from needing to find a dump station.
    Finding a place to spend the night is as easy as finding a protected cove and dropping the hook. If you pull into a harbor they almost always have transient space, and you are almost guaranteed to not have any liveaboard neighbors.

Things that are better in a RV.

You are not walking to the grocery store.
    There are not any days you cannot travel
    If it’s cruddy weather you can move to where its nice weather in a day
    You can reserve a slip in advance at most state parks
    You can step out of your RV and not have to swim
    Campfires
    Places to stop are not a hundred miles apart, they are just a few minutes apart.
    You can go inland

Anybody want to add to the list?

Anybody here do both cruising and Rv’ing?

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

kevin wrote: with my comments

First off my 4788 is WAY bigger than a RV. agreed
    Maneuvering a large boat is much easier than maneuvering a large RV not hardly. Wind can move a boat when you don't want to move. Putting the brakes on our RV makes it STOP. course the boat turns sharper, but I can put our motorhome in any spot it will fit.
    My boat is MUCH more self sufficient. We desalinate our own water, overboard grey water, and where legal treat our sewage. All we need is diesel fuel and food. In even the biggest RV you are two sets of showers away from needing to find a dump station. Mostly agree.
    Finding a place to spend the night is as easy as finding a protected cove and dropping the hook. If you pull into a harbor they almost always have transient space, and you are almost guaranteed to not have any liveaboard neighbors. I kind of disagree. When I'm traveling to races, my motorhome and trailer are 65' long. I can ALWAYS find a place easily. Walmart certainly not as picturesque as a nice cove, but they're everywhere and it takes about 10 seconds to park and do whatever else I want. Even putting out slides and stablizers only takes a minute. I suppose if its about the journey, boating is better, but if its about getting somewhere and all you're doing is stopping for the night, its no contest, rv wins in a landslide.

You are not walking to the grocery store. true
    There are not any days you cannot travel mostly true
    If it’s cruddy weather you can move to where its nice weather in a day mostly true
    You can reserve a slip in advance at most state parks true
    You can step out of your RV and not have to swim very true
    Campfires some times
    Places to stop are not a hundred miles apart, they are just a few minutes apart.true
    You can go inland very true

I find it a bit easier socializing in an rv setting, I suppose if you're tied up at a dock its the same.
    I also think that overall, being on a boat is way more relaxing than an RV.
    On the other hand, I get way better mileage in my rv than my boat.
    I can also see a lot more different territory in my rv in a given period of time.
    Easier going for a hike from an RV.

I enjoy both. If I had to pick, it would likely be the boat, but not by much.
    Toni

Yelm, Washington
    1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

ive never actually lived on a boat that was not tied to a dock for any length of time.... but if an RV is an option, I think thats the way to go... we have a 40' 5th wheel (toy hauler) that we travel far and wide in, (and we have a 16ft boat that fits inside of it if we dont take the atv's).... and its the best way to travel.
      we had a motorhome for a couple years, but even if one is dragging a car along, they arent as convenient as a 5th wheel, unless the driver doesnt know how to back up a trailer...

we will take our 2556 when we go to large lake like powell, pend oreille, shasta or other scenic lake, and stay on it, and still have the pickup to travel around sight seeing by land...

its my thoughts that it doesnt matter if one lives in a house, on a boat or on a floating home, if one has an urge to travel and explore other areas than where they are, they will need the equipment to do it...

we got rid of our big boat because we felt "penned in" by the shoreline (of course when one points the other way, there are no boundaries, but it also looks about all the same), and so we bought what we needed to live the most exciting life we know how to..

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

No agreement here on the maneuvering either. Its what you get used to. 40 foot converted bus towing a trailer or a vehicle. No problem getting to Wiley's in Seattle or through downtown Miami and Guadalajara. Equally no problem with putting a Defever 43 into Conover Cove or False Creek Yacht Club. Agreed on the RV travel when you want but snow in the mountain passes will stop you pretty quick, or at least it should. Otherwise I'm generally in agreement with Kevin's points.

In the event of mechanical difficulties you can roll to the shoulder and call Triple A - easier, cheaper and safer than Sea Tow. So that's definitely a point for the RV. Can't dangle a trap and catch your dinner though - gotta give that to the boat.

I like ice cream and T-bones and dark chocolate and horseback riding - not all at the same time but I like them all and probably equally. Boating and RVing are the same - you can like them both equally.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

There are not any days you cannot travel
          Not completely true...I've been stuck at a campground because the roads are closed due to snow.

Places to stop are not a hundred miles apart, they are just a few minutes apart.
          In areas like the BC Gulf Islands, Desolation Sound, and The Broughton Archipelago you can cruise for a few minutes and get to a totally different place to anchor or tie up to a dock.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

In a boat you can leave the helm and go take a leak while underway, even without autopilot. Try that in a motorhome.
            Esteban
            Huntington Beach, California
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
            Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

• builderdude
              builderdude commented
              Editing a comment
              Yikes! Not recommended close to the ferry lane, remember that video?🤣

Originally posted by green650 View Post
            In a boat you can leave the helm and go take a leak while underway, even without autopilot. Try that in a motorhome.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Originally posted by green650 View Post
              you'd laugh, but there have been lawsuits over that issue....relative to a motorhome
              Toni

Yelm, Washington
              1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

Originally posted by courtjester View Post
                kevin wrote: with my comments

First off my 4788 is WAY bigger than a RV. agreed
                Maneuvering a large boat is much easier than maneuvering a large RV not hardly. Wind can move a boat when you don't want to move. Putting the brakes on our RV makes it STOP. course the boat turns sharper, but I can put our motorhome in any spot it will fit.
                My boat is MUCH more self sufficient. We desalinate our own water, overboard grey water, and where legal treat our sewage. All we need is diesel fuel and food. In even the biggest RV you are two sets of showers away from needing to find a dump station. Mostly agree.
                Finding a place to spend the night is as easy as finding a protected cove and dropping the hook. If you pull into a harbor they almost always have transient space, and you are almost guaranteed to not have any liveaboard neighbors. I kind of disagree. When I'm traveling to races, my motorhome and trailer are 65' long. I can ALWAYS find a place easily. Walmart certainly not as picturesque as a nice cove, but they're everywhere and it takes about 10 seconds to park and do whatever else I want. Even putting out slides and stablizers only takes a minute. I suppose if its about the journey, boating is better, but if its about getting somewhere and all you're doing is stopping for the night, its no contest, rv wins in a landslide.

You are not walking to the grocery store. true
                There are not any days you cannot travel mostly true
                If it’s cruddy weather you can move to where its nice weather in a day mostly true
                You can reserve a slip in advance at most state parks true
                You can step out of your RV and not have to swim very true
                Campfires some times
                Places to stop are not a hundred miles apart, they are just a few minutes apart.true
                You can go inland very true

I find it a bit easier socializing in an rv setting, I suppose if you're tied up at a dock its the same.
                I also think that overall, being on a boat is way more relaxing than an RV.
                On the other hand, I get way better mileage in my rv than my boat.
                I can also see a lot more different territory in my rv in a given period of time.
                Easier going for a hike from an RV.

I enjoy both. If I had to pick, it would likely be the boat, but not by much.
                Toni hit it right on the head IMO. We enjoy both too, but if I HAD to choose, I'd go with the motorhome, which we prefer over any trailer, but that's a different discussion. Traveling in a motorhome is cheaper, at least for us. My boat slip and diver are $800 a month, the RV costs nothing in this category, assuming the slip is storage, and I keep the RV at home. Insurance is $63 more per year for the RV, but it's 19 years newer and valued 2.5 times as much, so pretty even here. A boat wash is $60, RV @$45. The boat is washed monthly, the RV, when necessary, I'd guess 6 times a year. I get 9+ mpg in the RV, towing a 4,000 lb. car, probably 4-5 times better than the boat, and diesel is almost always cheaper on land. Servicing each, well the boat has two engines, so just call it twice as much. Tara and I have been together for 22+ years, and we've RV traveled a good 250,000 miles, 49 states and 5 provinces, And we still have a bunch of places to visit. This continent can be as big or small as you want! And yes, the Pacific is far larger, but not nearly as accessible. I think we're limited to coastal cruising by capacities, oh yeah, and experience...
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                "GetAway"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I’ll add a different twist in that I hate driving on the highway! Traffic, knucklehead drivers, stuck behind trucks, etc. RVing is pretty low on my list thus I’m saving that for when I’m to old to fly or boat.
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                    Having recently spent our first time ever in a RV lets talk about differences between the two experiences.

You can reserve a slip in advance at most state parks
                    I'd suggest that this is actually a downside - You HAVE to reserve in advance.......at least here in the PNW, just picking up and going at the last minute is now almost impossible unless you tent.
                    97 2859

Comment

We pick up and go all the time, but we've been doing this for over 20 years. We seldom stay in fancy RV parks, mom 'n pops are our favorites. We usually only use those for full hookups, average once a week, not on weekends if possible.

We stay at friends and family's driveways or park in front when we can, we're everybody's favorite house guests, because we bring our own house. We're Elks club members and stay there, usually our first choice. Walmart is for overnight sleep stops or bad weather necessity.

We usually only make reservations at places that we want to visit at certain times, with little flexibility in our schedule. If you're still working and have limited travel time, then yes, you probably need reservations, especially during peak travel/tourist seasons. Many more tricks you learn as you go, same as boating!
                      Jeff & Tara
                      (And Ginger too)
                      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                      "GetAway"
                      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Gas for my tow vehicle is less per gallon than my boat. I get a gallon a mile in my boat each motor. My truck gets 13 miles to the gallon towing my trailer.
                        I can load my trailer at home in my driveway, the boat I have to load the truck drive to the marina and carry everything 300 yards to my slip.
                        An RV can have slides to expand your living or sleeping area.
                        An RV can have an outside kitchen.
                        I can travel to all the lower 48 states and all the provinces.
                        I don't have to worry about engines in my travel trailer, I can upgrade my tow vehicle and keep the same RV.
                        When the wife gets under my skin I can go for a walk. I can take my 10 foot zodiac and motor with me in the RV.
                        I can use the RV all year round, my boating season is May to October in Ontario.
                        As Jeff said no monthly slip fees like the boat has.
                        While I like both, going from a boat to an RV just seems like a natural progression. Boating teaches you to store items and to be picky what you need to take verses what you want to take.
                        300SD all options sold.

Comment

• JThiessen
                          JThiessen commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe you’ve stumbled on an untapped.market niche’ here:
                          Towable boat “trailers”!!!

Kevin, scratch one thing off your list. This is a game changer on the dock. The evenings extend longer, and friends hang out longer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200119-173008_Messages.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	557580
                        Tally and Vicki
                        "Wickus" Meridian 341
                        MMSI 338014939

Comment

Originally posted by talman View Post
                          Kevin, scratch one thing off your list. This is a game changer on the dock. The evenings extend longer, and friends hang out longer.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200119-173008_Messages.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	557580
                          Very cool!!!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
                          X