Strait of San Juan de Fuca to Columbia River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strait of San Juan de Fuca to Columbia River

I'll be retiring next year and am starting to think of new places to go in our 4550 based out of Tacoma. I've been thinking it might be nice to spend some time on the Columbia River, but am mostly clueless about the trip from Port Angeles to Astoria. I expect that we would leave Tacoma in late April or May, and return north in August.

If the 4450 suitable for this?

What marinas are located between Port Angeles and Astoria (especially those with fuel and service/repair, if necessary)?

What are typical sea conditions, and what distance from shore should we cruise?

If we leave Port Angeles with full tanks, will we have enough fuel to reach Astoria, and vice versa? (looks to me like the trip is about 200nm, and 18 hours of cruising at 11 knots).

I'm told the only good time to cross the Columbia Bar is a slack tide? Is that "good" an absolute or just relative to very bad at other times?

Can you recommend any cruising guides or articles specific to power boats for this trip, and also for the Columbia?

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks
    -Mick
    1986 4550 "Embark"
    Tacoma, WA

your boat may not be meant for crossing oceans, but it will do fine for coastal cruising.
    the only problem will be if you have no experience in handling the boat in a rough seaway, or the ocean on a typical nasty day. if you have this experience, it will be just another day in paradise for you.

there are many small boats (16-20ft) crossing the columbia river bar all the time during fishing season, so depending on the time of year you go, you may be able to follow someone in...
    you can (and should) study the US Coast Pilot 7, chapter 10... it gives some good information, basic and specific, depending on what all you are wanting to know.

on your transit down the coast, I would stay at least 10 miles off shore for the most part, and 15 to 20 would be better in my opinion. make sure you have the charts to study that covers the area you want to travel, and study them...the GPS is a great tool to show where you are, but its not a tool for good intimate study of the danger areas you will be passing thru when entering the columbia river...

the columbia river has some great scenery and is very boater friendly as far as amenities go, but you do need the river chart so you can plan your route and not lodge the boat on a sandbar, of which there are many outside of the channel where one would like to anchor.... there are a LOT of places to anchor, but you dont want to run aground trying to get into one of them..

NU LIBERTE'
    Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
    5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
    N2K equipped throughout..
    2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
    2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
    '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
    Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Plan to cross a bar on a slack or flood tide. The USGC publishes bar reports and you can listen to the bar conditions on the VHF when nearing the bar. One option would be to overnight in Neah Bay then depart there so you arrive at the bar at slack tide. That will shorten your 11 hour day and allow a daylight bar crossing.
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]

Comment

As others have said Slack tide....ideally full slack with minimal wind. You can stop in Westport coming down the coast but is a bit of a trek and there is a bar to cross there as well. If you look at charts or possibly even do an internet search there is a line that is a "Crab Free Zone" about 6 miles out. It is a "path" that can be mostly free of crab traps as you go. Watch weather (obvious) and expect fog that time of year. Once in the Columbia there are a ton of docks....most of Oregon's are free. Usually folks head back to Oregon in Sept. but you may find a couple of boats heading south to buddy up with. It's a long ride. Enjoy!
        We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

Comment

Working...
        X